The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-02-2023, 05:15 PM

Default NGD: ok, I'm done for awhile - more hollow

Well, I do tend to go in waves, both buying and selling. After I picked up the Romeo I sold my PRS semi-hollow. Picked up an E10OM-TC, selling my OM-28e MD. Am woodshedding jazz guitar and wanted to add a decent arch top to the mix. I am not a fan of big bodies even though I'm a bit over 6' tall. Given the roll I've been on with Eastman, figured I'd make it a trifecta and today the final shoe dropped. AR603CED-15.

Surprisingly comfortable to play - it beats both the OM and Thinline, though neither of those are the least bit uncomfortable. Still getting to know it and pondering string changes but so far so good. My only niggle is if I'm using a pick and muting the bridge I have a tendency to tap the pickup. I dropped the height a bit and that helped and didn't ruin pickup balance but will have to work on that a bit. Playability is excellent. I prefer the Lollars in the Romeo to the Seth Lovers in the AR, but not enough to swap them out of the gate.

Pics or it didn't happen.

What spending time obsessively scouring the web will do to you kids - don't try this at home

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez

Last edited by nostatic; 02-02-2023 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Great looking guitar! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 02-02-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
...Am woodshedding jazz guitar and wanted to add a decent archtop to the mix. I am not a fan of big bodies even though I'm a bit over 6' tall. Given the roll I've been on with Eastman, figured I'd make it a trifecta and today the final shoe dropped. AR503CED-15...
Sooner or later you'll want to add a true all-carved jazzbox to the stable - fortunately Eastman has you covered there too:

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/ar905ce

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/ar805
Old 02-02-2023, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Congrats nostatic! That's a sweet looking Eastman. All the best with it!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-02-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Sooner or later you'll want to add a true all-carved jazzbox to the stable - fortunately Eastman has you covered there too:

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/ar805
Actually mine is fully carved

Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides. It is the only one they currently do in a 15" body.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/electric_archtop

Old 02-02-2023, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Actually mine is fully carved

Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides. It is the only one they currently do in a 15" body.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/electric_archtop
If yours is carved top/back that makes it a 603 which, according to the Eastman website, is in fact the only 15-incher of the bunch - the 16" 503 (not listed in a 15" variation) has a carved top only with laminated maple sides/back, while the 403 (also 16" only) is all-laminate; besides, the ones I'm talking about are designed first and foremost as acoustic guitars which, if you've never played one, makes a big difference both plugged and unplugged...
Old 02-02-2023, 11:35 PM

Quote:
If yours is carved top/back that makes it a 603 which, according to the Eastman website, is in fact the only 15-incher of the bunch - the 16" 503 (not listed in a 15" variation) has a carved top only with laminated maple sides/back, while the 403 (also 16" only) is all-laminate; besides, the ones I'm talking about are designed first and foremost as acoustic guitars which, if you've never played one, makes a big difference both plugged and unplugged...
Typo fail on my part - thanks and fixed.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

What a great looking guitar! You do indeed now have an Eastman trifecta. Big congrats!

Did you buy it new or pre-owned?
Old 02-03-2023, 08:47 AM

sweet

you got flatwound strings on that beauty?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-03-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
What a great looking guitar! You do indeed now have an Eastman trifecta. Big congrats!

Did you buy it new or pre-owned?
new, from Fuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
sweet

you got flatwound strings on that beauty?
It has D'addario NYXL 12-15 round wounds from the factory. Pondering TI flats, but I may use this instead of acoustic for solo shows and I'm finding with an acoustic IR on my Impulse pedal into the deCapo amp, it does a passable job. I think flats would push it more firmly into jazz box territory but I'll try those at some point.

Old 02-04-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
new, from Fuller

It has D'addario NYXL 12-15 round wounds from the factory. Pondering TI flats, but I may use this instead of acoustic for solo shows and I'm finding with an acoustic IR on my Impulse pedal into the deCapo amp, it does a passable job. I think flats would push it more firmly into jazz box territory but I'll try those at some point.
I agree it will for sure do that.

enjoy it it's a beauty

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-08-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/ar905ce
Have you played a 905? You got me curious, and I am looking to try/add a 16". I am really liking the 603-15 and it is a great all-rounder, but am now nosing around for a single pickup 16". Looks like their 580CE is an option in a laminate back/sides, though that is a hair over 2.5" depth as opposed to the 805/905 which is 3.25". Then the Pisano models are 2.75", same as my 603.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars