The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Default Strap button repair

So I’m playing in a jam last night and between songs I flipped my guitar over my shoulder neck down so I could get it out of the way to adjust some chairs.

Next thing I know my baby (J30) has come off the strap and is bouncing on the hardwood floor

The end plug that the strap hooks to came out. Upon inspection it looks like it is a dry fit tapered wood pin.

I never want to let this happen again.

What’s the protocol here? Tap it back in? Put a little glue on it? Threaded solution? I want to do the right thing considering it took a long for me to find this guitar and it’s a keeper.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 05-12-2018, 09:19 AM

All that and no damage to the guitar ?

IF it were MY guitar, and I were as concerned about it coming out again that you seem to be. I might go as far as to plug the strap button hole and then mount a screw in strap button.
If that doesn't appeal to you maybe a bit of glue on the strap button, I would also rough up the strap button to make sure the glue had a rough surface to adhere too.
JMHO

Ed
Old 05-12-2018, 09:49 AM

A wooden end pin should be a press fit between the taper of the pin and the matching taper of the hole. If it is a good fit, a small amount of regular wood glue for a 1/4 or the circumference of the pin is adequate to ensure it doesn't come out on its own. By gluing only 1/4 of the circumference, it should be possible to remove it, if one wants to, without destroying the pin. If one glues the entire circumference, it will likely need to be drilled out if one ever wants to remove it, destroying the pin.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
A wooden end pin should be a press fit between the taper of the pin and the matching taper of the hole. If it is a good fit, a small amount of regular wood glue for a 1/4 or the circumference of the pin is adequate to ensure it doesn't come out on its own. By gluing only 1/4 of the circumference, it should be possible to remove it, if one wants to, without destroying the pin. If one glues the entire circumference, it will likely need to be drilled out if one ever wants to remove it, destroying the pin.
Perfect. Thank you very much
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 05-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Guest 1928

I use a small drop of glue, probably smaller than Charles suggests. However the idea is the same. Use just enough to prevent the end pin from accidentally coming out, but not enough to make it difficult to intentionally remove. I first ream the hole to fit the end pin well, then I add a tiny drop of Titebond.

One caveat...I never use wooden end pins. Even with a small drop of glue I've had mixed results getting them loose without cracking or chipping the end pin. I normally use only high quality plastic pins like Antique Acoustics or Waverly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair