The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-09-2018, 03:06 PM

Default Emerald Guitars - Pickup options.

Hi Guys,
I am thinking about getting an Emerald and my past experience was that I did not like the old b band pickup system. I see now that Emerald offers a LRbaggs Anthem as an option. What are the feelings out there in guitar land?

Is is better? , how can I make it sound really good.

I am also considering a Barbera Transducer,
So any ideas about this would be greatly appreciated.

If you are using an external preamp with the Emerald Guitar please let me know - I really need the guitar to sound good on stage with a pickup.
thanks, L>
Old 05-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I have an X7 that has the B-Band pickup in it, and it is my favorite - lots of good EQ options right on the guitar. My X20 has the LR Baggs Element (stock Emerald pickup, the Anthem is an add-on). The Element has a volume control and a tone control... while it sounds very good when run direct, I prefer a bit more EQ options. I have been using the X20 run through a TC Helicon Play Acoustic pedal - all kinds of tone and EQ options with that, but you do have to go through a menu on the pedal to get to it.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Guest 928

I've had the B-band and the K&K in various guitars including most of my Emeralds. In my X7-OSN, thin bodied electric I went the Barbera and have been very happy with it.

Alistair made the pickup active with a battery box and added volume & tone controls in the offset soundhole. I am very happy with the balance of the pickup and even though the guitar is nylon string it can be a screamer.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've had the B-band and the K&K in various guitars including most of my Emeralds. In my X7-OSN, thin bodied electric I went the Barbera and have been very happy with it.

Alistair made the pickup active with a battery box and added volume & tone controls in the offset soundhole. I am very happy with the balance of the pickup and even though the guitar is nylon string it can be a screamer.
I'm sure you do make some scream with a nylon string... just say'n.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-10-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post

That sounds like what I have been thinking about. Well not nylon strings.
Inching closer everyday. I sold my previous x20 as i really became frustrated with the quacky sounds of the b band. I do want to have another Emerald soon and the pickup is my main concern, actually love the x20 shape and neck.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Guest 928

There's no quack in my Emerald electric. Might want to talk the matter over with Alistair.

Mr. K; Scream&moan, weep&wail , cry&laugh--nylons can do it all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber