The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-07-2018, 11:15 PM

Default Classical guitar tuning machines questions

Hi everyone. First of all, I'd like to say thanks to everybody who helped me out with my doubts about the Juan Estruch I recently bought. I was going to do some touch ups in it but my friend asked me if he could "please" do it instead. Being much more skilled than I am, it didn't sound as a bad idea. As I didn't have any other classical around, he lent me a good old Yamaha C45.

With the Yamaha I noticed something about the tuners. They turn well but two of them, on a specific point, get really stiff and as I keep turning they go back to normal.

I've also noticed that when the tuners get stiff, turning them just a little bit doesn't make the gears move. They sort of move a bit out of place and then go back to normal.

I've checked this in other classical tuning machines and one or two tuners behvae the same way.

I'd like to know if that's usual and normal. I've considered dismantling them, cleaning up and putting back agajn to see if there's some kind of improvement.

Also thought if lubricating would be a good idea. If so, what should I use?

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-08-2018, 05:06 AM

Since it is someone else's guitar , it would be right to inquire with the owner before doing anything .
Old 05-08-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Since it is someone else's guitar , it would be right to inquire with the owner before doing anything .
You're absolutely right! It's my friend but I would never do anything without asking.

That's why I'd like some suggestions, to tell him if I could do the job or not.

Anyway, since it can happen to other guitars, it's nice to have some input and know what to do just in case.

I guess there's a point when the tuner "slips away" from the gear and that's when it gets stiff. Since it's a C45 I don't expect them to be high end ones, though the guitar tunes pretty well.

It's just the "stiff part" which got my curiosity, but it's far from being something that needs replacement. Maybe just greasing it up could work?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmbds View Post
Maybe just greasing it up could work?
It's certainly worth a try. Grease is probably not the best stuff to use instead use a liquid oil but a thick one. You don't want a very watery oil as it will run into places it should not. 3 in 1 or something you would use for a bicycle chain is good. I use an oil called Pro Link which is a bike oil. You want to use an artists brush to apply it to the worm gear, don't be tempted to just drip it on because you will make a mess
Old 05-08-2018, 08:53 AM

sounds like the tuner shafts run eccentric.

choices:
1. carefully sand the engagement area of the problem shaft until it doesn't rub anymore.
2. use paraffin wax in the hole.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:27 AM

Great, thanks! I guess it won't hurt lubricating them.

Got some vaseline at home, use it on doors when creaking. Might it work as well? Aplly it with a q-tip?

The oil and brush seems like a much neater idea, thanks! I'll use it in the future. But if I can get the same results with vaseline, well, it's right here.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:28 AM

I did some more research and the cause may be a faulty alignment. Is it common or was I just lucky to not have experienced that before?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:12 AM

A q-tip might leave behind lint that will make it worse.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmbds View Post
Great, thanks! I guess it won't hurt lubricating them.

Got some vaseline at home, use it on doors when creaking. Might it work as well? Aplly it with a q-tip?

The oil and brush seems like a much neater idea, thanks! I'll use it in the future. But if I can get the same results with vaseline, well, it's right here.
no! do not use Vaseline. the oil will soak into the wood, and you'll make a mess. use wax from a candle or from a block of Parowax used for home canning. it's a traditional fix for this issue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair