The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-03-2018, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Default CA Cargo vs Emerald X7

I currently have a 2 year old CA Cargo guitar and was thinking of trading it for an emerald X7. I only use the CA only for travelling. Any thoughts on whether it would be an upgrade or just a lateral move. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Gordon
Old 05-03-2018, 09:40 AM

I've owned both, and definitely prefer the tone of the Cargo over the X7. The cargo has a surprisingly rich, robust sound for its size with deep bass for the body, while I found the X7 to sound more like a small guitar. The longer scale length of the X7 is one advantage over the cargo if you find the cargo too cramped, however.

One unique observation I recently realized is that my left hand dexterity and what I play on my full-size GXi has dramatically improved due to the small scale of the cargo, since I now attempt reaches on chord voicings that would have never even occurred to me as being reasonable before on a full-length scale.

There are some fleeting moments while playing my Cargo that I tell myself I could possibly get away with it being my only guitar, but that thought never once entered my mind with the X7, as it seemed clearly in the travel guitar category and too much of a compromise on tone for my taste.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

What strings do you use on the cargo. Thanks
Old 05-03-2018, 10:09 AM

I can't weigh in on the Cargo, but have an Emerald X7 which was my travelling companion for several years (before I got a Journey Overhead OF420B last fall). I agree it definitely sounds like a "small" guitar - not a lot of bass in there - but it was very handy and currently goes to the office with me every day. The cargo is interesting, but the ones I've picked up have a very small (to my hands) neck - not nearly as filling as my X7. YMMV.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:13 AM

I alternate between Elixir medium Phosphor Bronze and 80/20 bronze, switching when the sound of one becomes mundane and I want something fresh. I use coated strings since I sweat profusely and eat through anything uncoated way too fast.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

I've owned both and at the same time and even though I'm a great fan of Emerald guitars and own several of the x20's I would give the nod in sound to the Cargo. When I had those I did prefer a medium string of some kind on either guitar.

While I did prefer the neck shape and scale length of the X7 the sound of the Cargo kind of baffles the mind. It just sounds way bigger/richer than it should. The X7 sounds fine and is way good enough as a travel companion but sounds kinda small or toy-ish in comparison, at least to my ears.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 05-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I own both of them and agree with the posts above, I prefer the Cargo. I adjusted to the shorter scale easily, but understand why some may not care for it. The X7 is a great little guitar too but there is something about that Cargo.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:32 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I own both of them and agree with the posts above, I prefer the Cargo. I adjusted to the shorter scale easily, but understand why some may not care for it. The X7 is a great little guitar too but there is something about that Cargo.
Yep, it’s the little guitar that could. Never ceases to amaze me. I have played Emeralds, but not the X7 and as much as I’m a fan of Emeralds, the Cargo has my heart and can’t imagine that an X7 could unseat it. Fwiw, the Savoy couldn’t.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Guest 928

It seems to me that the best course of action would be to buy the 5 and spend some time with both guitars, then sell the one that does not fit you best.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Interesting thread, Gordon. I posted this exact same comparison a couple years ago when I owned a Cargo Raw and was considering a X-7 Woody Maple. I played the Cargo for several years and was very pleased with it.

The primary reason I went with the X-7 was the nut width. When I bought the Cargo way back, I couldn't find a CF maker that built a 1 11/16" nut. When I found out Emerald offered it, I ordered one. So, my change wasn't at all any dissatisfaction with the Cargo. I just prefer the narrower nut width.

They do sound quite different to me, although I wouldn't describe it as better or worse. The Cargo Raw is much more bass-dominant, especially the 6th string. It almost swamps the other five. The Emerald is less bass-heavy and much more balanced across all 6 strings. To me, that choice is just personal preference. I prefer balance... other players prefer bass.

I couldn't play an Emerald ahead of time, but their trial period and return policy are very generous. I asked Sean a lot of questions and he was very helpful. The X-7 is a joy. The Cargo belongs to a friend who can handle the wider neck much better than I do and was delighted to become the new owner. Both are excellent guitars!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

I find both guitars sound better than their size should allow. We all have different tastes, but my choice is the X7 - I prefer the longer scale and feel the X7 has a more balanced sound. I've played a several Cargos, but put my $$ on the X7. I have played out with mine, even done a country/bluegrass jam (not my forte' - I'm an old rock 'n roller).

My take on it: other than comfort and neck scale, it would be more of a lateral move.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
It seems to me that the best course of action would be to buy the 5 and spend some time with both guitars, then sell the one that does not fit you best.

That's just crazy!! But I likes it.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the responses. It is very informative especially since you cant try them out in person unless you know someone who has one.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:52 AM

Ruthyel

I live on Kent Island and have an Emerald X-7 that you're welcome to try. Having been through the CF buying process--I bought both my CF guitars sight-unseen--I know how hard it is to try a CF guitar beforehand. Any other forum members thinking about an X-7 or a Blackbird Lucky 13 that are in the area are also welcome to contact me and stop by and try them out.

John

- The Blackbird has, for me, replaced it.

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-07-2018 at 06:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber