The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2016, 07:00 AM

Default Self install (k&k mini)

I ordered a k&k mini and should get it today. Is it hard to install or should I try myself. My thinking is if I learn on this one I'll be able to do all of them if I choose but if it's tricky and odds are a pro install will be better I'll go that route
Old 03-15-2016, 07:09 AM

The hardest part is a good cosmetic job fitting the endpin jack. I bought a StewMac reamer which makes that job easy, but costs more than a professional installation. I've done maybe a dozen K&K/JJBs at this point. The only other surprise on the first install was how long it takes for thick cyanoacrylate glue to harden to the point you can stop holding the heads in place (I wait one minute). I am following K&K's instructions installing one head at a time. I've never attempted a pinless bridge installation and would pass on that if asked.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-15-2016, 07:29 AM

The little K and K tool makes it a snap to get the pickups right where they belong but as Jon mentioned the hardest part is getting the hole right for the jack. IF you have a traditional tapered end pin in already then it's harder to do then one that is screwed in. If it's screwed in just get the right sized drill bit and you are good to go. Brad point bits are best but a spade bit will work just as well.

If you have a tapered pin and don't want to buy an expensive reamer then you can cut the tapered pin off flush, or close enough, to the sides of the guitar, punch a hole in the center and drill an 1/8th inch pilot hole through the pin and end block. Then drill out with the right sized bit. Make sure the end pin is in real tight, may want to super glue it in. If you want to save the end pin then you can drill out the hole and use a dowel.

What ever you do DON'T try to enlarge the hole with drill bits stepping up in size. It seems like a good idea at first until the bit grabs some of the side wood and rips out a huge chunk.

It's not hard to do but can lead to a cosmetic disaster. The reamer is by far the safest and proper way to do it.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:29 AM

Default Self install (k&k mini)

What he said, the installation is pretty easy if you can do the end pin reaming. I've done four installs, two with existing end pin jacks, one where I took the guitar to a guitar tech to do the home for the end pin, and one where I did the hole myself using a forstner bit.

The actual fitting of the discs is fairly straight forward, just make sure you use super glue gel and cover the guitar while installing.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-15-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The hardest part is a good cosmetic job fitting the endpin jack. I bought a StewMac reamer which makes that job easy, but costs more than a professional installation. I've done maybe a dozen K&K/JJBs at this point. The only other surprise on the first install was how long it takes for thick cyanoacrylate glue to harden to the point you can stop holding the heads in place (I wait one minute). I am following K&K's instructions installing one head at a time. I've never attempted a pinless bridge installation and would pass on that if asked.
Yeah ... at least double the glue hold time. I got a reamer from sears for about $10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 03-15-2016, 02:53 PM

Btw ... no reaming necessary for taylors.

Guild GAD25
Old 03-15-2016, 03:00 PM

I'm gonna go for it and report back the results...
Old 03-15-2016, 03:10 PM

No reaming for Larrivees either. I did one of those myself with good results.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 03-15-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny61 View Post
I'm gonna go for it and report back the results...
K&k and jjb have install videos you can watch before you start.

Guild GAD25
Old 03-15-2016, 07:07 PM

As others have said, the installation in very easy if you don't have to ream the endpin. It's manageable if you have to ream the endpin jack. Follow the good advice of those who commented in the reaming process. Watch the videos and read the directions several times and you can do this. K&K packages a template that makes placement of the transducers easy to do. Take your time.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:28 PM

So I did it yesterday and had to enlarge the endpin hole. I made a mistake there it was a screw in endpin and used a smaller forstner hit to try and do it in stages but then I couldn't center the half inch one. So I used a bit that's cone shaped and basically enlarges the hole I stopped just short of 1/2 inch and then used the forstner bit to finish the job. It ended up really good. Took just over an hour. I went to plug it in at GC in an amp to try out and..... Nothing. Pure panic so I asked there tech and he seemed confused. He tried the amp in his shop and It WORKED!!! Don't know if the sound is perfect but it's good enough for me!!! I'm glad I did it and would do it myself again.

Thanks for all the help

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification