The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2016, 09:54 AM

Default electronics for 000 MMV

hi, i'm new to the forum. reading through a bunch of threads expressing a wide variety of opinions on pickup systems for acoustic guitars is really enough to make me wish i'd just bought a guitar with electronics already in it. whew.

but i do love my new guitar, a martin 000 MMV, so i guess i'll have to suffer through and make a decision about a pickup.

i'm a hobbyist singer songwriter and my primary use for the electronics will be open mic stuff. generally that means plugging directly into some sort of PA as simply as possible. I'd prefer not to have anything more than my guitar... so no preamp on the floor that i have to mess with. most of these places just want to hand the performer a 1/4", plug in and go for it. knowing this, i'd appreciate some views on what my best bet would be for a nice natural sounding amplified tone for my guitar.

thank you
Old 03-10-2016, 10:57 AM

Welcome to the forum!!

Natural amplified acoustic tone is the holy grail... It seems the best solutions are multiple sources including a microphone in the mix. Everything else is some kind of a compromise. I think you made a good choice to go without factory supplied electronics, though.

I'll recommend that you look closely at the Trance Audio Amulet M and one of the versions of the L.R. Baggs Anthem pickups. Both will give you plug and play convenience and good tone.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popthree View Post
a wide variety of opinions on pickup systems for acoustic guitars
but i do love my new guitar, a martin 000 MMV,
Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
Natural amplified acoustic tone is the holy grail... It seems the best solutions are multiple sources including a microphone in the mix. Everything else is some kind of a compromise.
I'll recommend that you look closely at the Trance Audio Amulet M and one of the versions of the L.R. Baggs Anthem pickups. Both will give you plug and play convenience and good tone.
Yes, a wide variety indeed. I, for one, believe that the terms "natural" and "amplified" are not only mutually exclusive, but, not what I want in a public performance setting. I am after a larger than life tone when I perform.

For your stated purposes, I do believe that an "active" system with an internal preamp and UST fits your performance circumstances and the choices akafloyd lists, particularly the the Anthem would accomplish the "simple" approach you want and still sound pretty good. But, as in everything in life, the compromise is that you are loading a bunch of weight and batteries into your beloved 000, not to mention the Anthem inserts a braided UST BETWEEN the critical bridge/top connection and could effect your unplugged tone.

At some point, you need to decide what your priorities are and make your decision based upon that.

AS Eric Sky says "Amplification is where the fun begins with an electric guitar, and the fun ends with an acoustic guitar"

Good luck,
Steve

P.S. I should add that I do not play open mic events, so, I have only theoretical expertise on what an open mic player might need.

Last edited by El Conquistador; 03-10-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: P.S. added
Old 03-12-2016, 07:54 AM

i'm wondering about the Lyric. i do read a lot of negative comments on here about it though. it just seems like it might be right for my situation, not a full band setting, rather, just a guitar directly to a PA.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification