The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewave View Post
…That's too complex. But I was thinking about getting a Zoom A3. Even if I usually hate digital stuff (I like to turn knobs when I'm playing music and not to deal with menus and lcd), it seems to have evrything I could need. EQ, reverb, preamp, DI, headphone out for monitoring, feedback control.
Hi ww…

If that's is to complex, I suggest a soundhole mag pickup. It is rock solid, and feedback resistant (bulletproof). You can stand on top of monitors with it.

If you have issues with the pickup as is, adding a Zoom A3 may not solve anything. Try the big black plug first before ditching or buying more things.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-04-2015, 10:57 AM

The prephase from K&K looks really interesting and cheap. Thanks.
But I don't think I want to put batteries inside my guitar, and in that way I can't use the sound hole cover.
But if a phase switch is enough to get rid of feedback, I can look to some external preamps I wasn't considering.

I'm sorry to read that the K&K may be not the right choice for a loud rock band. I can't waste money on buying stuff that won't solve the problem, maybe it'd be better to buy just a uber cheap guitar with a piezo. It'll sound bad, but easy to set.

Ok, no Zoom. I don't like the idea behind it, but it got nice features in a small package.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The prephase from K&K looks really interesting and cheap. Thanks.
But I don't think I want to put batteries inside my guitar, and in that way I can't use the sound hole cover.
But if a phase switch is enough to get rid of feedback, I can look to some external preamps I wasn't considering.

I'm sorry to read that the K&K may be not the right choice for a loud rock band. I can't waste money on buying stuff that won't solve the problem, maybe it'd be better to buy just a uber cheap guitar with a piezo. It'll sound bad, but easy to set.

Ok, no Zoom. I don't like the idea behind it, but it got nice features in a small package.
get a sound hole pickup, don't get a "uber cheap guitar with a piezo" that's a big step backwards.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:37 PM

The only time I had real feedback issues with a 'basic' K&K in a custom OM was on a small stage with high band sound levels. Nothing I did was able to fix that situation. A little more room to wiggle monitors or amps and I'm sure I could have got there.

As a result my primary stage guitar is a Tak, but I do use the OM when it works no problem. I could most likely use the K&K now most of the time as I rarely do band stuff nowadays, but the Tak just works well.

Sounds as though you need to go one of the soundhole types from Baggs or Fishman or that Seymour Duncan one. Not quite as 'acoustic' maybe but no real drama with feedback.

Kris
Old 11-04-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I've installed a K&K Pure Mini in my OM styled Recording King guitar.
Sound is really good through my Focusrite soundcard and headphones, but not useable live. I'm getting a lound and bassy kind of feedback, no matter where I place myself relating to PA speakers.

---snip---

I can't understand how so many of you are able to use the pure mini with such simple preamp as the K&K or Boss GE7, and I don't see why my zoom shouldn't work.

---snip---

I play guitar in a Pearl Jam cover band.

---snip---
Get a magnetic pickup and don't worry about feedback - using a piezo pickup, like the K&K (or a mic, as well) for an acoustic guitar in a rock band is usually a disaster, as you've found out.

There is a reason that mag pickups are so popular with artists that play acoustic guitar in bands, especially rock bands: mag pickups have much less susceptibility to feedback than any other type transducer.

The Baggs M80 or the Fishman Rare Earth humbucking are two of the best.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RareEarthHum
Old 11-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

I use K&K's primarily and in some loud situations with pretty good success but every situation can be different.

One basic question, are you p/us glued in or affixed with tape?
In my experience this can make a HUGE difference when it comes to K&Ks being problematic when it comes to feedback.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:05 AM

If I buy a magnetic pickup, should I add a preamp?

I've glued the K&K.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
If I buy a magnetic pickup, should I add a preamp?

I've glued the K&K.

The Fishman Rare Earth is active (it has an onboard preamp), and the Baggs M80 can be used in both active or passive mode.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:59 AM

That sounds nice.
As for the Rare Earth both the single coil and the humbucker version are active?

What about the woody series by Seymour Duncan?
Old 11-05-2015, 05:19 AM

I highly recommend the M80. It's a lush sounding pickup and it is seriously feedback resistant. I know a few players who have used the woodys and got rid of them quickly. They're fine, but they lack the depth, and volume of other pickups. Beyond tone, the M80 is also nice because it has an easy to read battery level indicator, and can be used without a battery, too, with a simple switch. I have videos of me playing live with the M80 in my J-45. Message me if you're interested in the links.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 11-05-2015, 06:45 AM

I have the K&K in a VERY sensitive guitar which will feedback in any situation (partly what makes it such a good guitar when played acoustically).
luckily I have an old Parametric EQ which lets me dial in the exact f/b frequency and cut the db's on only that 'note' - problem solved.
There's a price to be payed for having a good sounding guitar.
try this -
http://www.lrbaggs.com/preamps/para-di-acoustic-preamp
Old 11-05-2015, 09:28 AM

I have K&K's in all of my acoustic guitars but my Seagull also has a Baggs M1 soundhole pickup.

I don't know that it's necessarily true that a soundhole pickup will feedback less than K&K's at high volumes.

That's not been my experience.

I use the M1 because that guitar is my favorite slide guitar and I like the sound of a magnetic pickup through a guitar amp for slide.

But it feeds back as easily as any other guitar when I get careless and play to loud or sit or stand right in front of my amplifier.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 11-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

The two best SOUNDING soundhole pickups in my experience and I've tried most of them, are the Sunrise (of course) and the Dimarzio "The Angel" passive.

The Angel is a "best buy" at around $130. It's almost a Sunrise at less than half price.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
The two best SOUNDING soundhole pickups in my experience and I've tried most of them, are the Sunrise (of course) and the Dimarzio "The Angel" passive.

The Angel is a "best buy" at around $130. It's almost a Sunrise at less than half price.
The Sunrise for sure. Used one in my Lowden for years. So heavy though. Lyle Lovett still uses one.

Haven't tried the Angel.

Some of the Duncans (like the Woody...) are inexpensive (under $100) and sound really, really good.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 11-05-2015, 11:27 AM

Many useful suggestions guys, thank you all.

Three of them are is ~100$ range:
- lr baggs para di (used)
- dimarzio mag
- duncan woody

I'll look into them. Unfortunately the M80 is too expensive for me at the moment, and I don't want to spend that amount of money for just a couple on tunes.

My guitar is really resonant, I guess that's why it feedbacks so easily.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification