The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 AM

hi Cheetotoe,
This was a problem for me to.
My main guitars are Rosewood - I like the sound.
I got a 12 string that handled real well - for fingerstyle
but it's mahogany - different sounding guitar x 2 since it's a 12'er.
I now buy 2 sets of strings 1 PB's and 1 80/20 and after a lot of mixing them and swapping them around I came up with the winning combination to suite the guitar and what I like to hear.
Maybe this is the way to go for you,
geo
Old 09-02-2010, 06:52 AM

Two of my guitar have mahogany bodies. One with a cedar soundboard and one with spruce. On the one that's mahogany and cedar it's 80/20's if they are Polywebs or EXP's and PB if they're anything else. The 80/20 on balance are probably best overall. On the one that's mahogany and spruce I've never tried any 80/20's that sound good, it's PB always.

Why? Because I've tried seven or eight different kinds of strings on each guitar and settled on the ones I liked the best. There is no chance in the world of looking the tonewoods on a spec sheet and knowing what kind of strings you'll want to use.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 AM

IMO, the top wood along with who built it and how it was built are more important than the the back and sides. YMMV.
I am currently using PB's on all my guitars as a test to hear what the guitar offers and not the strings. So far I like it.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 AM

PB all the way on all my guitars, I'm afraid. Mahogany / rosewood - doesn't matter. I've often read about the qualities of 80/20 strings and from time to time decided to give them another try only to be disappointed on each occasion. For me, PBs sound sparklier and keep their tone longer on any guitar.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainDearg View Post
PB all the way on all my guitars, I'm afraid. Mahogany / rosewood - doesn't matter. I've often read about the qualities of 80/20 strings and from time to time decided to give them another try only to be disappointed on each occasion. For me, PBs sound sparklier and keep their tone longer on any guitar.
Same for me!
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 AM

I have 80/20 on my J-50 and PBs on my Collings OM1. SO I guess no genral rule for me....it is what works best for that guitar plus what you like. On top of that with the J-50 I do not like all brands of 80/20s.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 AM

Someone on this thread suggested that PBs 'tame the brightness' of mahogany. Is mahogany supposed to be 'bright'? I thought it was supposed to be 'warm'!

Another case where the meanings of these terms seem to disintegrate... I think it's all down to the individual guitar. I had a British handbuilt guitar in mahogany that responded marginally better with 80/20s. My 000-18GE sounds better to my ears with John Pearse PBs. I have 80/20s on my GC8 right now, but I've a feeling that PBs might sound better. The guitar's new so I'll give them a whirl. For me that's the only way to know anything vis-a-vis this subject.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Someone on this thread suggested that PBs 'tame the brightness' of mahogany. Is mahogany supposed to be 'bright'? I thought it was supposed to be 'warm'!
it's suppose to be whatever we hear it to be.............more proof that everyone hears things differently

so if mahogany has warm tonal qualities to you how does rosewood sound to you?????
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM

80/20s all the time, on everything.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
it's suppose to be whatever we hear it to be.............more proof that everyone hears things differently

so if mahogany has warm tonal qualities to you how does rosewood sound to you?????
Another punctuational retort!

Each guitar has its sound, period, and that sound seems variable according to the person that hears it. I've heard 'warm' and 'bright' used to describe the effects of the same components so many times that I find the terms redundant.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Another punctuational retort!

Each guitar has its sound, period, and that sound seems variable according to the person that hears it. I've heard 'warm' and 'bright' used to describe the effects of the same components so many times that I find the terms redundant.
that's peculiar as you just said :

Quote:
Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
nothing to discuss.................PB's all the way............
you should really try these out: http://www.webstrings.com/
great prices and they are very good strings.......
rlouie...How would you compare Webstring's PB's next to Martin's SP PB's...? Don't care for 80/20's, so I usually go for PB's on all my guitars, SP 4100's specifically. I recently strung one acoustic w/ a set SP4150's & really like the added umph! Of course...looking for a good deal, the Webstrings Bluesgrass PB's look somewhat appealing?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Rose View Post
rlouie...How would you compare Webstring's PB's next to Martin's SP PB's...? Don't care for 80/20's, so I usually go for PB's on all my guitars, SP 4100's specifically. I recently strung one acoustic w/ a set SP4150's & really like the added umph! Of course...looking for a good deal, the Webstrings Bluesgrass PB's look somewhat appealing?
I'd say they're very comparable...I use the SP4150's as well and the Webstring PB's and 80/20's sound very good at a great price!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I'd say they're very comparable...I use the SP4150's as well and the Webstring PB's and 80/20's sound very good at a great price!!!
I think Webstrings sound as good as most "name brands". They just don't last as long (for me). I like Pearse but I'm on a webstrings kick lately. They are cheap and I don't mind changing strings.

Ed
Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Nothing bright about my mahogany and red spruce Lolo Creek.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion