The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-11-2018, 05:54 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Cool review. In all honesty though I think his Martin needs service or something. It sounds like his strings are really flat against the frets... too low maybe? The CF sounded better to me in this clip. I'm curious about them for sure. Where are these guitars made?

JR
Old 05-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I watched the videos and agree with the player that this CF is louder and brighter than the Martin, not particularly better, but different. I noticed that he plays the CF with a strap, so I assume that the bowl-shaped back might suffer from the Ovation-effect. That would bug me.

I think I noticed more in the second video, and perhaps it was just how he recorded it, that the “ring” that can be associated with some CF guitars, with this guitar produced a “drone ring” (ala bagpipes) that I found very irritating in a tinnitus sort of way. Not to say that other CF guitars wouldn’t produce the same drone ring if recorded in the same place, using same gear, but it was quite apparent to me with this guitar. Anyone else notice?
Old 05-11-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I watched the videos and agree with the player that this CF is louder and brighter than the Martin, not particularly better, but different. I noticed that he plays the CF with a strap, so I assume that the bowl-shaped back might suffer from the Ovation-effect. That would bug me.

I think I noticed more in the second video, and perhaps it was just how he recorded it, that the “ring” that can be associated with some CF guitars, with this guitar produced a “drone ring” (ala bagpipes) that I found very irritating in a tinnitus sort of way. Not to say that other CF guitars wouldn’t produce the same drone ring if recorded in the same place, using same gear, but it was quite apparent to me with this guitar. Anyone else notice?
Very good observations..I concur ... sounded ringy. The bouncy room prolly exacerbated it as well....(using some bigger words so Unc Evy thinks we are using a special code)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Guest 928

Long.............................................. ..........................................

You disappoint me. A mere few hundred miles and you decline? You're certainly not the buckaroo I thought you were. When I was your age, I'd walk that distance, and back, in one day.

Besides, you have mass transit--you can take a train everywhere. In America, we call this taking one for the team. This is in your neighborhood, darn it, get on it! You're freed from EU constraints, born wild, and on the scene. How can you resist?
Old 05-11-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Long.............................................. ..........................................

You disappoint me. A mere few hundred miles and you decline? You're certainly not the buckaroo I thought you were. When I was your age, I'd walk that distance, and back, in one day.

Besides, you have mass transit--you can take a train everywhere. In America, we call this taking one for the team. This is in your neighborhood, darn it, get on it! You're freed from EU constraints, born wild, and on the scene. How can you resist?
The subtle approach Unc E...nice touch.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Nice sounding cf and I’d like to hear more. In a room with better acoustic properties.

Sceptical this is a fair sound comparison - what with the acoustic guitars sitting around. In their wall hangers, mine sound off when I cough or sneeze - sympathetic vibrations (bless you). Have to block the soundhole to stop the talk-back. Pehaps the drone is coming from one of the unused acoustics?
Old 05-11-2018, 09:52 PM

"sympathetic vibrations ".. we talk about that in piano land as well (Pianoteq)... but it is all in the same single instrument..... I have had that happen when guitars a hanging about... lots of times when I sneeze in the key of E major or G
Old 05-12-2018, 12:20 AM

I wonder if some of the “Drone sound” isn’t attributable to the stainless frets? FYI, if I use strings that are too light on my X7, I get a lot of extraneous noise from the frets.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Oh, and Tommy played the upright bass. (insert your own "you don't know the other Smothers brother" joke here)
IIRC, Tommy plays/played a Martin guitar, Dickie plays/played the standup bass.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-12-2018 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Uncalled for comment, family forum, not 5th grade
Old 05-12-2018, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishtar View Post
You are so right. I was wrong again. I'm a married guy, so I'm used to it.

I liked Tommy best, but they were good together.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-12-2018 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Quote edited
Old 05-12-2018, 07:03 AM

IMHO, a lot of the sound in the videos come from not only his plucks, but his picks are a huge influence.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishtar View Post
I could be wrong (seems to happen more now that I'm not a youngster) but I seem to remember Tommy playing a sunburst Guild; along with mom liked you best...
Old 05-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Tommy and Dick Smothers were both in a 2009 movie 'The Informant'.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130080...=nm_flmg_act_2
Old 05-12-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Tommy and Dick Smothers were both in a 2009 movie 'The Informant'.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130080...=nm_flmg_act_2
Thanks for informing
Old 05-12-2018, 07:25 PM

I tried not to smother you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber