The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Default Guanacaste

Hi all, has anyone had experience with using Guanacaste (Enterolobium cyclocarpum) for back and sides? I'm curious about tone, workability, takes glue well, ect. Whatever you have. Thanks.
Matthew
Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Matthew,
Recently we just got several large tables of the stuff that we cut up into guitar wood. We're about halfway through the build currently, and I would say there is a lot of good qualities about the wood with a couple of negatives.

First off, the great things about the wood are that it is very lightweight, easy to sand, easy to bend or resaw, and it can be quite beautiful (think somewhere between Koa and Walnut). As fas as the workability of the wood, it's about as easy as anything I've ever used.

Negatives - The major fault af the wood so far is that the dust is definately potent. I do have a cocobolo allergy, but not really anything else, however, I have never seen anyone around this dudt that doesn't choke up a little bit. A dust mask is an essential at all times. Also, the wood is very porous. This may lead to some issues when it comes time to seal. We've had to take some just while gluing. However, the wood also dries and acclimates easily.

I'm anxious to hear how it sounds. My guess would be similar to mahogany (based on its weight and density), but we will see. I could try to send some pics of the build if you're interested.

BTW - you might also have some luck looking it up under another trade name Kelobra

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 05-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Default New Build

Hello,
This thread is long dead, but I would be interested to see how your project finished. Has the wood proved stable over time? How was the sound? And how did you finish it concidering the large pores?
Kyle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair