The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-08-2018, 07:58 PM

Default USB Powered Pedals! Convenient!

Thought this might be helpful for someone out there..

As a busker, I rely on portable power everyday. The one guitar pedal I like to use while I'm on the street happens to eat batteries like they are 2-bite-brownies. After looking around for a rechargeable 9v, I had a sudden realization I can power my pedal directly from my busking amp (Carvin S600b). The Carvin has a usb port on the back for charging your phone. With a simple 5v - 9vdc converter cord like this I can power the pedal right from the usb port.

I found the adapter at an electronics shop for 7$. Much cheaper than I could find online. Initially the cord didn't work but I suspected it was because it had the wrong polarity. I cut the cable, soldered the wires red-white and white-red, and it worked like a charm! Couldn't be happier!

An unexpected bonus was that when folded up, the cable fits perfectly in the little speaker stand mount in the top of the amp. Woo!

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 05-09-2018, 09:53 AM

Brilliant idea sir! Definitely could help someone in the future!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

This is awesome. I only wish my Bose S1 had a USB charging port!! But so many acoustic amps do have them these days and I'm sure that number will only increase over time.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's the original part on Amazon: http://a.co/5NMRPbw

If you don't want to solder get this: http://a.co/8kN8h32
Old 05-09-2018, 01:39 PM

I use a VHT Vooster to run a couple of 12v vocal pedals from a usb battery. Works perfectly. It will also run 9v. http://www.vhtamp.com/products/vht-accessories/vooster
Old 05-09-2018, 02:59 PM

That's right. It's one of the benefits of the A4-8 and similars like that Carvin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification