The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 PM

Default 30 Days on a 9 Volt??!?

I have an ES2 on my Taylor 110e, and the 9 volt battery has only been lasting a month. The battery is Duracell. I use the instrument every day for practice (between 1 and 2 hours through a Fender acoustic amp), plus two rehearsals with the band (total 6 hours per week) and then Sunday service. I used to have an LRBaggs Element on a different instrument and got a year out of a 9 volt battery with identical practice/play times. What is your experience with ES2 battery consumption? Is this 30 day thing normal?
Old 05-06-2018, 02:50 PM

are you by chance leaving the guitar plugged in when you aren't using it?
Old 05-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Like lkingston said, make sure you don't leave the cable plugged into the guitar. My wife did that with her Taylor ES2 and the battery drained while at performance (at a church, no less). Luckily we were between songs and I could run upstairs, locate a battery, change it and replace the guitar on the stand 15 seconds before we were to play again.

The ES2 makes a loud noise that goes down in pitch when it has reached battery zero.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-06-2018, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Yep - I'm betting you're leaving it plugged in? I did that with my PARA DI when I first got it. Killed it in a couple weeks. Now I get about 200 hours out of it!!
Old 05-06-2018, 07:18 PM

I think y'all are probably right, although I don't think there's any difference in the amount of time I'm plugged in on the ES2 when compared to the LRBaggs Element on the previous guitar. Perhaps I'm doing something differently . . . I estimate the instrument is plugged in an average of 16 hours a week. The ES2 has EQ and a phase switch, and so is more complicated than the Element, maybe that's the difference?

Anyway, no biggie. A 9v once a month won't break the bank. I'm just curious if 30 days is normal.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:50 PM

Plugging it in turns it on, so if you leave it plugged in when you are not playing it, you are draining the battery unnecessarily. That’s what we are trying to tell you.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:08 AM

If I played my Taylor plugged in every day I would not be at all surprised if I had to change the battery after 30 days or so. I never thought to do a comparison when I had a Matrix with end pin preamp in my Guild but I would usually have a new battery on hand for gigs if I’d had the old battery in there for a while. I do the same with the Taylor (the others including the Guild have Pure Minis installed and go through a floor preamp now).

Are you using the same brand and type of battery? I wouldn’t expect extreme differences in performance between different brands of alkaline batteries but some variance will be there.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-07-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefrigRaider View Post
I think y'all are probably right, although I don't think there's any difference in the amount of time I'm plugged in on the ES2 when compared to the LRBaggs Element on the previous guitar. Perhaps I'm doing something differently . . . I estimate the instrument is plugged in an average of 16 hours a week. The ES2 has EQ and a phase switch, and so is more complicated than the Element, maybe that's the difference?

Anyway, no biggie. A 9v once a month won't break the bank. I'm just curious if 30 days is normal.
I have a barndoor style preamp in one of my stage guitars that I go through a ton of batteries with and yes it has a EQ, notch filter, tuner (with LCD display), and goes through batteries fairly quick whereas batteries in all my other guitars last quite a bit longer. I just buy batteries by the boxload and keep extras in my case!

This is what I use...

https://www.ebay.com/p/Duracell-Proc...-24/1900407518

Last edited by rockabilly69; 06-11-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefrigRaider View Post
I have an ES2 on my Taylor 110e, and the 9 volt battery has only been lasting a month. The battery is Duracell. I use the instrument every day for practice (between 1 and 2 hours through a Fender acoustic amp), plus two rehearsals with the band (total 6 hours per week) and then Sunday service. I used to have an LRBaggs Element on a different instrument and got a year out of a 9 volt battery with identical practice/play times. What is your experience with ES2 battery consumption? Is this 30 day thing normal?
30*1.5 + 4.3*6 = 70 hours

This reference states about 50 hours of ES2 battery life:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/...Sheet-2014.pdf

Taylor ES systems have an LED on the preamp board to let you know if the battery is good (lighted means good) which combined with a relatively fancy EQ circuit consumes more power than the typical endpin preamp of Baggs or Fishman.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-07-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post

Taylor ES systems have an LED on the preamp board to let you know if the battery is good (lighted means good) which combined with a relatively fancy EQ circuit consumes more power than the typical endpin preamp of Baggs or Fishman.
Thanks Jon! I appreciate your response.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post

This sounds about right for me. When I'm gigging (3-4 hour shows) twice a week, I usually change my battery about every 6-8 weeks. And I don't wait for it to completely die. When I sense my tone is changing I change it. For a couple of bucks, it's well worth it for me.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 05-07-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
This sounds about right for me. When I'm gigging (3-4 hour shows) twice a week, I usually change my battery about every 6-8 weeks. And I don't wait for it to completely die. When I sense my tone is changing I change it. For a couple of bucks, it's well worth it for me.
I think I'm just going to stay on the safe side and change it monthly regardless. It's now officially in my Giggle calendar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification