The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-04-2018, 07:26 AM

Default Aquila nylgut basses compared to Augustine nylon

Hi

I currently use Augustine Reds on the three bass strings. They are paired with Savarez Alliance trebles.

I was wondering what the aquila nylgut basses would sound like with the Alliance trebles. These nylgut basses are the basses that come with all of aquila's guitar strings (I think). In any case, they definitely come with the Alabastro set.

Can anyone offer a comparison?
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 05-04-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:35 AM

I have some unopened Aquila Perla basses sitting here, which I bought after
seeing Luca Waldner recommend them on his site. I don't remember if they're Nylgut or nylon core, to be honest, but my current J45 basses (which I like)
are getting worn, and I think I'll give the Perlas a go next.

Last edited by Carey; 05-04-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

My previous strings were Savarez Corum/Alliance. I have been playing a set of Aquila Alabastros for several months and am at the point where I need to replace them. So I have a decision to make as to which direction to go for my next set of strings.

I would be hard put to describe the difference between the Savarez bases and the Aquila bases. The Alabastros seem more mellow to me but I was afraid they weren't as loud as the Savarez. When I asked my wife, who hears me practicing all the time, she said the new strings (Alabastros) were fine, i.e. loud enough.

I doubt if that helps you much but it's the best I can do. And for what it's worth I wouldn't mix the two. When I decide what strings to try next it will be all Nylgut or all something else.

YMMV,
Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical