The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-14-2016, 10:34 AM

Default Fishman Aura Spectrum as generic DI / Preamp

AGF -

I have a D-42 which is my primary gigging guitar. It has a Matrix Infinity which works great with my Aura Spectrum. I have been convinced that USTs do have an impact on acoustic tone, so on a couple other guitars which will see primary home use and only occasional playing out amplified, I'm going with a K&K Mini (aka Pure Western Mini) SBT.

With the blend turned off, will the Aura Spectrum serve as an acceptable preamp/DI for the passive K&K pickups? With full tone controls, phase, notch filter, compressor, XLR and 1/4" outs, etc, it seems like the Spectrum would be feature competitive with the K&K, Ultrasound, RedEye, Baggs preamps, but there may be something I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for your experience and input!

Bob
Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM

I have the Spectrum and have used it as a generic DI. With the blend all the way off, it seems to work the same as my older Platinum Pro. I have tried the K&K with the spectrum and easily got great tones.

On a side note, I actually find the Matrix is one UST that does not really impact the acoustic tone. I have never noticed a change once the Matrix was installed.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:00 AM

Consider the Trance Audio Amulet M - it's about as big a step up from the K&K as the K&K is from a undersaddle piezo.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:27 AM

I find the auto anti-feedback feature of the Spectrum to be very valuable when using K&K.

In general K&K are more feedback prone than a UST. However I could never go back to a UST after hearing the K&K!! As such, the anti-feedback feature saves you (and everyone else) a lot of headaches!

It also saves you from having your tone butchered by the soundman. I am both a soundman and a player, so I speak from both sides. Most sound boards have fixed bass and treble with a parametric mid. Some have dual parametric mids, and a few have parametric everything. None of that really matters though... because the sound man will just turn your bass down as he doesn't have much time to isolate the offending frequency manually. With Fishman's anti-feedback feature, you press the button, create the feedback and it finds that frequency for you and notches it out. You can notch out 3 frequencies that way.

Larry's advice in the past also helped me a lot. Have the monitor behind you in some way, even a bit to your left or right but behind you. When the monitor is right in front of you, too much bass frequencies interact with your guitars top. Of course, some people make it work. I just found it WAY better when I did it Larry's way!

On a side note, this is my one thousandth post!! Don't think I'll ever hit 10,000+ like some have though. Took me about 9 years to make this many!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I use the aura for a k&K equipped d18. It works well with no blend. Having the EQ is great and the added function of the compressor adds a nice flavor to the sound in a number of applications. The only down side is I can not use the dual source set up for which I have in all my guitars.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification