The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 09:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Well, butter my buns and call me a biscuit. You should move out this way instead (you know what i do for a living....)
Well we have had our sights on Vermont for awhile now. Karen got a great job as the CEO of a housing and community development non-profit organization. We also just went under contract on a wonderful house with a good place to set up shop.

Now we just have to sell our house!

Meanwhile I am still working away on the Old Town Farm guitar. Here it is with the body closed:

I am doing the back graft and binding in Desert Ironwood:

We're also doing the arm bevel in Desert Ironwood so it gets a little trickier when doing the binding, the top purfling and they need to part ways for a bit to make way for the bevel hence the pins to hold the purfling while gluing:

Thanks for following along!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 07-23-2021 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar! Being a prophet is a dangerous job.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:50 PM

Congrats on the new house. Vermont is lovely and I hope the shop area is an easy transition. The thought of moving all that heavy equipment is quite daunting and this from a guy that just moved everything he owns to Tx.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Beautiful guitar! Being a prophet is a dangerous job.
Thanks and thanks Jamiejoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats on the new house. Vermont is lovely and I hope the shop area is an easy transition. The thought of moving all that heavy equipment is quite daunting and this from a guy that just moved everything he owns to Tx.
Thanks Tom, I’ve moved shop locations a number of times over the years and your right, there is a lot of planning and a lot to juggle. On the good side, I am doing much more work with hand tools now and it will be good to layout a shop from scratch to better accommodate that. Plus, there is no better way to clean-up and get rid of a that unused stuff that just accumulates. Karen and are really excited about the move, the new house and plans.

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 07-24-2021, 05:20 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Glad to hear you found a place. Good luck with the move!

See you at B.I.G.! Guess I better bring a Padron.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

I’m just setting up my new shop after our move. Everything you said about new possibilities and getting rid of extra stuff is true, and satisfying. I hope the new location is wonderful for you and your wife! Looking forward to meeting you at BIG. Best wishes on all the details and on selling your house. Dave
Old 07-24-2021, 03:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Glad to hear you found a place. Good luck with the move!

See you at B.I.G.! Guess I better bring a Padron.
Thanks cigarfan, mmm Padron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
I’m just setting up my new shop after our move. Everything you said about new possibilities and getting rid of extra stuff is true, and satisfying. I hope the new location is wonderful for you and your wife! Looking forward to meeting you at BIG. Best wishes on all the details and on selling your house. Dave
Thanks Dave, My main workspace is framed out but I'll need to finish it from there. I've a little over a month to get the materials decided on and ordered. The other two rooms I can finish after I am up and running in the big workspace. I'll be hard at it for awhile but this will be a wonderful studio!

I'm looking forward to the BIG show. By then I'll be good and ready to be talking guitars instead of the pros and cons of rigid core vinyl flooring!

Old 07-25-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Karen and I are moving up to Montpelier VT (or close by) at the end of September. We're in the midst of house hunting and selling our house right now. We love the central Vermont area for a number of reasons and there are better opportunities there for Karen's and my work.
Mark, this is very exciting! When you’re up and running in your new home and the shop is open for visitors, that’s a part of the country I’d love to see again. Please wish Karen all the best with the new position. We have a couple of clients in that space (we’re their IT povider), and I have seen firsthand how challenging, yet rewarding, it can be.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-25-2021, 02:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Mark, this is very exciting! When you’re up and running in your new home and the shop is open for visitors, that’s a part of the country I’d love to see again. Please wish Karen all the best with the new position. We have a couple of clients in that space (we’re their IT povider), and I have seen firsthand how challenging, yet rewarding, it can be.
Thanks Mike. If all goes well we'll be moving in a couple weeks after the BIG show. It will take awhile to set up but I'm excited about the space and my plans. It is beautiful out there and the people are great.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:31 AM

It's good to have a skill/business that isn't dependent on location, guess you could say if you build it they will come.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
It's good to have a skill/business that isn't dependent on location, guess you could say if you build it they will come.
I agree, I can be pretty much anywhere UPS delivers and picks up. I also attribute it to the reach of the internet. I can find out about and buy cedar billets from a guy on a little island on the northwest coast who has a little boat and goes beach-coming for driftwood. Build a guitar with it and sell it to a guy in South Africa.
The joke is for the first time we have such a vast amount of information at our fingertips and people spend all their time watching cat videos! Well, I have a cat, Enzo, so I spend my internet time on more productive pursuits.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Arm Bevel

Here are a couple pics of the Desert Ironwood arm bevel. The second close up is rough and wet with Naptha to show color:

Old 07-28-2021, 04:46 PM

Mark

Congrats on the move! Sounds like it will be a wonderful new start for you and your wife. So good! Best of luck selling your house! And that Desert Ironwood is gorgeous!
Old 07-28-2021, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here are a couple pics of the Desert Ironwood arm bevel. The second close up is rough and wet with Naptha to show color:

Love the color palette, Mark.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-29-2021, 06:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default On to the Neck

With the body set for now it's time to get going on the neck. This will be Honduran Mahogany. I am using a traditional bird's mouth joint to hold the headstock. It is more work but, is stronger and certainly goes with the look of an Old Town Farm 00. Here I have the basic cuts to in:

It is all hand work to do the final fitting and forming the diamond volute:

This gives me the opportunity to test out my new hand forged steel and Cocobolo draw knife. I might add that it works like a dream!

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop