The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Guest 33123

Default lucky man

Hi guys,

This year I decided to bring in all of my acoustics for some work, three for full refrets with Jescar EVO and the fourth for maybe a fret dress and definitely a full setup. I finally found a guy locally (Weston Instruments in Ottawa) who I trust and does amazing work including Plek'ing. They finished a full refret on my 000-28VS last month and did an outstanding job. They are now refretting the J-45. The other two go in next month when they have an opening. This kind of work on four guitars adds up fast but IMHO it is worth the money to have them in tiptop shape again. It was time.

So I told my wife about all of this and what does she do? Gives me a nice smile and says "sounds good." When I sold my Gibson J-100Xtra and bought the L-1 three years ago, what does she say? "I understand you want something new sometimes." What did she say when I bought the amp three years ago? "You definitely need an amp."

Wait...what?

Though I have a good career and I always put her, the kids and our household first, I know this is something special. I have friends whose partners and ex-partners gave them a REALLY hard time about anything musical. But me? My wife likes and supports my playing and associated activities. On top of it all she is a great mom and partner all around. She always helps out and we don't fight and argue. She also has a good career too.

We've been together for 26 years and not a day goes by that I don't realize how lucky I am.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 03-15-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 AM

True happiness comes from such as this. To recognize one's blessings and appreciate what one has.

Yes, you are a lucky man. Many of us are and fail to realize it until too late.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-15-2019, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Hi guys,

This year I decided to bring in all of my acoustics for some work, three for full refrets with Jescar EVO
So I told my wife about all of this and what does she do? Gives me a nice smile and says "sounds good".
Though I have a good career and I always put her, the kids and our household first, I know this is something special. My wife likes and supports my playing and associated activities. On top of it all she is a great mom and partner all around.
We've been together for 26 years and not a day goes by that I don't realize how lucky I am.
You have great taste in women and fret metal! Your wife is a keeper, and the EVO is too!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Doug!

You ARE a lucky guy! Good for you and good for your wife! She knows you have been a responsible provider and she also knows you need something creative to help fill your soul outside of work and family. When you provide enough for your family, then your family can give back to you. That is all really wonderful to read about!

I have been very fortunate in the same ways! My wife and I hit 50 years of marriage next year in 2020.

- Glenn
Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing, I think you are blessed that you realize how "lucky" you are, and I would bet my house that your wife feels that she is also the luckiest woman alive also! Happy life to you both!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

In public high school I took a "Bible as Literature course. We were required to only deal with the subject matter in class as literature, as we would with any other book. In that spirit, and in the spirit of your post, I offer a couple of folksy pieces of wisdom from the Proverbs:
Chapter 12, number 4: "An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who shames him is like rottenness in his bones."
Chapter 31 number 10: "An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels."

It is my experience that there is nothing finer in the world than to be married to a good and kind woman. Vince Gill says the same.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-15-2019, 01:19 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks for the support guys.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Doug! Sweet story
Old 03-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Well, Doug, you’re clearly a lucky guy.

Thanks for sharing the story!