The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-16-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I read the label on the bottle in your photo. The curing process will likely impart a different taste. Many Irish whiskeys are cured in wine casks. That is part if how Irish whiskey gets its smoother taste. One of the reasons American whiskey is harsh is that it is often cured in raw oak barrels.
I expect this whiskey may have a bit of a "chocolate" taste, being finished in stout barrels. Just a guess, though.
Now that Irish Whiskey has become more popular, some distillers are looking for ways to provide variations in taste in their product.

A word from those that make it. (I heard this from folks at Bushmills and Jameson when in Ireland.) Two fingers in a tub. Ice if you want. A capful of bottled water. The small amount of water opens up the taste. Yes, it does taste better than having it neat.

You pretty much nailed it. It still clearly has the flavor profile of an irish whiskey, but it does have that chocolatey finish.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:03 AM

Caol Ila is perhaps my absolute favourite single malt, but there are many others that I also enjoy . . .

Old 03-17-2019, 05:26 AM

My wife was on a tour of Scotland and asked me what I wanted her to buy for me, so I asked for a single malt scotch. She got me a bottle of 12 year old BLAIR ATHOL (The price buckled her knees). I'm kind of hesitant about opening it up though,----I was thinking it was named by a guy that typed with a lisp!

Fog
Old 03-17-2019, 10:37 AM

I like Jameson
Old 03-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Anticipation Junkie

As a result of this thread and being Paddy’s day, I tried Tullamore Dew for the first time. Pretty good. It’s a little sweeter than the scotches I’m used to, more akin to the rums I like in that regard. So it’s sort of an in-between the scotches and rums I like for me, which is a good thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic