The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Default Another classical guitar pickup thread (Yes, I did try a search)

I have a Cordoba C10 crossover that I love. It plays and sounds fantastic. I have tried 3 different pickups with less than acceptable results. (1) Fishman under saddle piezo. The pickup sounded great, but noticeably compromised the acoustic sound of the guitar and had to be removed. (2) Peterman dual soundboard mounted piezo setup. Kind of boomy and not very convenient. (3) L.R. Baggs Lyric Classical internal mic. Kind of quacky sounding.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much. The guitar sounds so good acoustically when playing unplugged that perhaps no pickup is going to make that louder without some sort of compromise. But I am open to suggestions. I recently saw the Meyers line of mini mics for guitars and almost any other instrument. Anyone out there have experience with these?

DanO
Old 03-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

The K&K Pure Mini pickups that I put in my Cordoba F10 sound amazing and natural.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Thanks so much. I have seen that pick up and the installation does not look too complicated. I already have the hole drilled for the end pin jack.

DanO
Old 03-05-2019, 10:15 AM

Another vote for the K&K Pure Mini's. I don't have them on my nylon string, but do use them in my '72 Martin D35S which I generally finger pick with a pretty light touch. I've always found them to have as "natural" a tone as any acoustic pickups I have used or heard.

FWIW, I'm not a performer, so I don't use them for stage, just home recording. I've found that for that purpose they sound great, so good in fact that I don't see a need to spend "big bucks" on expensive microphones/preamps to get higher quality sound. That eliminates a lot of the hassles around using mics (placement, ambient noises, etc.). When practicing through an acoustic amp they sound wonderful too.

I generally run them through a BBE Acoustimax preamp. However any good quality preamp should help the Pure Mini's deliver a very satisfying tone.

1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE
2021 Alvarez AP66ESHB Parlor
2020 Fender Special Custom Telecaster FMT
2011 Custom built Vintage “Strat”
198? Electra X930 Vulcan
Old 03-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I’ve read great things about these.

https://m.barberatransducers.com/sit...eup0eb2ki9nqv5
Old 03-07-2019, 12:06 AM

Those Barbera transducers look really interesting. But I want to avoid changing out the saddle. My first under saddle pickup sounded pretty good, but the strings were not evenly amplified. I asked my tech to even them out, which he did. But to do so he worked the bottom of the saddle so much it ruined the guitar acoustically. Lucky for me when he removed the pickup and fit a new saddle he actually got it to sound even better than the guitar I fell in love with.

I think I'll be trying the K&Ks.

Thank you for the responses.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:13 AM

Ideally you want to put your pickup through a good preamp, regardless of the type. "Quack" is usually a symptom of the transducer or mike not seeing enough input impedance.

DECADES ago a good friends "Horrible Sounding" piezo—and it sounded Dreadful—was cured by running it through a Boss stomp EQ.

I've gotten good results with an LR Baggs Para Acoustic Active DI, which has the bonus of being built like a tank and fairly inexpensive.

You might also want someone else to play while you listen. It takes getting used to hearing the direct sound at the same time as the sound system.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the preamp advice. I do have to plead guilty of plugging directly into a Fishman Loudbox amp. The under saddle pickups in my steel string guitars sound great just tweaking the settings on the amp. Of course nylon string guitars are another animal and I may have to complicate my setup here.

That said; any advice on preamps for the electronically challenged neophite?

DanO
Old 03-08-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisePicker View Post
Thanks for the preamp advice. I do have to plead guilty of plugging directly into a Fishman Loudbox amp. The under saddle pickups in my steel string guitars sound great just tweaking the settings on the amp. Of course nylon string guitars are another animal and I may have to complicate my setup here.

DanO
Nothing wrong with the Loudbox amps. I currently play through an Artist and a Mini. I also have the Baggs Para Acoustic DI, a Roland Cube Street EX system (pair of amps) and used to have a pair of Fishman SA220 Fishsticks. All sound great and you can't go wrong. I've done many a steel and nylon gig with all of them.

P.S. All were created to deal with the common issues associated with acoustic instrument amplification, and all do so very well. The Mini has been my overall favorite for amplifying nylon strings (with an emphasis on a snappy, mid-scooped flamenco tone), while the Artist seems better suited to steel strings. But both sound great for either.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:

DanO
A Fishman loudbox amp you say...install the following:

https://schatten-pickups-cdn.myshopi...ing-classicals

You will thank me later. Easy to install and I think you will like it better than a K&K. Plugged into that Fishman amp it will sound like your guitar mic'd up.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:29 AM

I'm also looking for a pick up for my classical.

I came across this iRig Microphone pick up.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...iABEgK8X_D_BwE
Old 03-08-2019, 09:50 AM

In the amplification section there is a lot of love for the HFN related to steel strings. However, Schatten produces also a nylon version. It would be good if someone who tried it shares some feedback about it. From my experience, I've had very good results and feedback resistance by mounting inside the body a Schertler DYN mic. There is also a version which does not require phantom power, which is the one I have. The result is very similar to a mic in front of the guitar. These contact mics are very expensive but it is not rare to spot second hand ones for much less. I paid mine around 150 USD.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
A Fishman loudbox amp you say...install the following:

https://schatten-pickups-cdn.myshopi...ing-classicals

You will thank me later. Easy to install and I think you will like it better than a K&K. Plugged into that Fishman amp it will sound like your guitar mic'd up.
On order from Amazon. Should arrive middle of next week. I will check back in and reveal whether or not there is another HFN-C internal under saddle fan.

DanO
Old 03-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
On order from Amazon. Should arrive middle of next week. I will check back in and reveal whether or not there is another HFN-C internal under saddle fan.

DanO
Congratulations hope you enjoy the pickup like the rest of us!
Old 03-09-2019, 08:09 AM

Default Classical pickup choice

This is a more affordable copy of the Pure Mini, made in the USA.
http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-330.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical