The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-15-2009, 07:24 PM

Default Any of you veteran fingerpickers use bare fingers/thumb....

...........no picks no nails?
also are there any well known players that use bare fingers that I could check out? I thought stefan Grossman but i saw a youtube video (early) where it looks like he's using a thumb pick.
The reason I ask is that this is the way I've started to learn fingerpicking and it seems like everyone says fingernails or at least a thumb pick is necessary.
The only guitar teacher in my town only teaches playing with a thumb pick and while she makes it sound great, I'm not sure it's for me. Seems real akward and the bass notes are way to loud IMO when I try it. Also I don't want to give up strumming with a flatpick. So should I stick with what works for meor start over (seemingly from scratch) and learn the thumbpick?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:31 PM
The Foreigner

I believe Laurence Juber does. It takes some time to build up your picking-hand callouses to the point where they can produce good tone.

There are lots of songs that may not sound as good with bare flesh, but I suppose the same can be said for nails/thumbpick. Similarly for technique, some things are just impossible with a thumbpick and vice versa. It really depends on what you intend to play. I am a short nail/thumpick user myself
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 08-15-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Before I started hanging out here at the AGF, I thought fingerstyle meant bare flesh.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:52 PM

I follow Segovia's method of using a combination of flesh and nail. It works for me, and I don't stand out too much in high school as "the guy with long nails". I went through that last year - stuck up rich kids and people with long nails on one hand don't mix.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:58 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Before I started hanging out here at the AGF, I thought fingerstyle meant bare flesh.
As opposed to "fingernailstyle"?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb56 View Post
also are there any well known players that use bare fingers that I could check out?
...The reason I ask is that this is the way I've started to learn fingerpicking and it seems like everyone says fingernails or at least a thumb pick is necessary.
...So should I stick with what works for meor start over (seemingly from scratch) and learn the thumbpick?
Hi cb...
I play with all flesh an no nails - except for a little deliberate nail for accent now and then.

Laurence Juber is an all-flesh player.

I have 2 songs I use a thumb pick on, but not wanting to change my thumb technique, I grind my own thumb picks down so they barely stick below the edge of the pick (see pictures)...

These work for me when I need the articulation for Travis picking and muted thumb picking.

I think becoming more versatileas a player is a great way to learn, and a process that has no seeming end...

I'd suggest you do what if comfortable with you till you want to grow some more - - - and then instead of starting over, add another layer to your technique. If you can play with and without a thumb pick (2 layers) then you are just a bit more versitile.

You sure don't need to limit yourself to only one technique and unless you are on your death bed, you have the rest of you life to explore - so go have fun learning to play well all kinds of ways...

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-16-2009, 05:53 AM

I use only flesh and natural-length nails, too. I can see some songs I'd like to have a crisper bass on and would like to try the ground-down thumb pick mentioned by Larry.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 08-16-2009, 06:27 AM

Thanks for posting everybody. Sounds like I need to just keep trying different things till it clicks. I admit that somethings that I play sound improved with a thumbpick but others don't.
I think grinding down the pick looks like a good idea. She actually gave me two picks both were slickpicks. One is a medium that looks like it has been shortened and the other is a heavy that hasn't. I liked the sound of the heavy pick better (less clickey) so I'll probably figure out how to file it down.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:24 AM
The Foreigner

While most other thumbpicks are far too long (in my opinion) and need to be filed down as Larry mentioned, I find that the Fred Kelly Slick Picks are almost perfect in terms of blade length, shape and bevel (that's why I have a bag of 20+ X-Heavy delrins! ). A sufficiently long blade is necessary if you want to treat the thumb as a "fifth finger", rather than just have it play the occasional bass line/drone.
Transcriptions

Old 08-16-2009, 08:06 AM

Default Tommy Emmanuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb56 View Post
also are there any well known players that use bare fingers that I could check out? I thought stefan Grossman but i saw a youtube video (early) where it looks like he's using a thumb pick.
The reason I ask is that this is the way I've started to learn fingerpicking and it seems like everyone says fingernails or at least a thumb pick is necessary.
The only guitar teacher in my town only teaches playing with a thumb pick and while she makes it sound great, I'm not sure it's for me. Seems real akward and the bass notes are way to loud IMO when I try it. Also I don't want to give up strumming with a flatpick. So should I stick with what works for meor start over (seemingly from scratch) and learn the thumbpick?

I think I've heard/read that Tommy Emmanuel uses flesh rather than picks/nails. I'll see him next month so I'll know for sure then! I've tried but using my fingernails and the side of my thumb is what's working for me. I'm still very new to guitar and to fingerstyle and still learning lots...

2006 Taylor 410 acoustic
2008 Baby Taylor
Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorGirl2008 View Post
I think I've heard/read that Tommy Emmanuel uses flesh rather than picks/nails. I'll see him next month so I'll know for sure then! I've tried but using my fingernails and the side of my thumb is what's working for me. I'm still very new to guitar and to fingerstyle and still learning lots...
He does, but also a thumbpick, if I'm not mistaken.

Of course, his fingertip callouses are probably harder than most other players' nails
Transcriptions

Old 08-16-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi cb...
I play with all flesh an no nails - except for a little deliberate nail for accent now and then....
Thats how I do it too.

Mmaak, I guess that makes me an occasional fingernailstyle player.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 AM

Jorma Kaukonen and Bob Weir both use a regular pick between the thumb and forefinger to pick the most fundamental part of the melody, while using the middle/ring/little fingers to do the rest of the job (sorry about the gauche musical/guitar vocab!).

I learned fingerstyle when I was a teenager by listening to Hot Tuna and blues records and not using any picks at all. It was voodoo at first! I find fingerpicks too awkward and I still don't use them.

There is some nice fingerpicking from Bob on the Blues for Allah LP ("Sage and Spirit"), also featured in "Weather Report Suite" from Wake of the Flood -- nothing fancy but very much his own style and imo pretty interesting. Just about anything Jorma does on an acoustic guitar is fingerpicked. Jorma learned from listening to old blues sides -- Blind Blake, Rev. Gary Davis, etc. So you might assume that those guys were using their bare fingers, at least I do.

Jorma or Bob might use fingerpicks nowadays, I'm not sure. At least in the not-so-sophisticated past they banged it out bare-fingered, with quite nice results.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM

I've played accoustic for 40 years. The best things that ever happened to me when I first started were

a) having a right handed guitar although I'm left handed and

b) having no access to any guitar info other than that of a book on classical guitar.

'b' was good because I used fingers exclusively the first couple of years...no pick, no thumb pick etc. One has so much more versatility with a thumb and 4 fingers than with a pick. Styles like Flamenco, Samba, etc. are relatively easy after a grounding in finger use

But...everyone should be able to use a pick. The trick from going from fingers to using a pick, slide, (or the reverse, pick to fingers) is to first practice them on a song you know inside out...so there is no need to think about chord changes, rhythm, words and so on. You can concentrate 100% on the right hand. My modest experience as a teacher is that too many players try new techniques on an unfamiliar song and this exaggerates the difficulty and thus frustration.

Nail or skin. Both are used ...the edge of the thumb nail...the back of the finger nails... even the knuckles. All create subtle sounds that one doesn't even think about after a while. They all start to act like a voice singing a song.

Now I have to dig out a pick and play my Strat.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:30 PM

I've been using bare flesh for months now but I'm having a hard time getting the volume I want. I'm seriously thinking about switching over to nails. Short ones, because I couldn't stand to have long nails.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write