The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Mel Bay's "Try Before You Buy"

I ran across this and thought it worthy of sharing: "Try Before You Buy"--downloadable PDF files of the first 10 pages of a dozen of their instruction books, mostly introductory books.

However, you can download 56 of the 88 pages of the expanded edition of the "Modern Guitar Method." That's a pretty generous "try."

Perhaps other publishers do this, too. It's a great way to see if you may like something. Maybe MB will make available more samples of their books.

BTW, I had to open them in Internet Explorer. Firefox wouldn't work for me, even after downloading the plug-in.

Enjoy!

Bill
Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 AM

It also does not seem to work if you're using Vista. And it says on the Mel Bay intro page that it does not work with Macs.

P.S. And not to be a curmudgeon...but the purpose of the plug-in is to make the PDF viewable on-screen only. And only if you access it through the Mel Bay web page. And only if you have a live Internet connection active. And you can't print it.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 AM

I'm using Vista (Home Premium--32 bit) and it works with my IE. Too bad it doesn't work with Macs. Don't know what's going on with Firefox.

Bill
Old 08-14-2009, 08:51 AM

Hmmm, me too. Don't know why it didn't jibe with my IE and Adobe.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
P.S. And not to be a curmudgeon...but the purpose of the plug-in is to make the PDF viewable on-screen only. And only if you access it through the Mel Bay web page. And only if you have a live Internet connection active. And you can't print it.
Interesting. I was going to print some pages so I could work from them till my book/CD/DVD arrived. Free shipping from Amazon.com is not the speediest way to get something!

Guess I'll work from the computer display.

Can't complain too much though (I can be as curmudgeon as they come!). At least MB has provided the opportunity to see some of their books so the order is not completely sight unseen.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write