The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
The fingering that I do without conscious thought is

middle on E string,

mute A string with side of finger,

open D and G strings,

ring on B string,

pinky on high E-string.

Adding index to the A string or leaving the B string open are the options I may decide to use. I never fret a G with the middle and ring fingers on the A and E strings.

Yep, that's my "default" G.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-19-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Ring and middle. I’ve tried to make myself use the ring and pinky, which gives you so many options for suspensions and hammer ons, but I’ve just never been able to get automatic with that...
Old 01-20-2019, 06:30 AM

Middle, ring, pinky, free index. Only use the 4 finger for songs that were written with it and call for it.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 01-20-2019, 06:52 AM

my go to strumming G is index on the 5th string middle the 6th string and ring on the 1st string. My go to finger picking G is middle on the 5th string ring on the 6th index finger frets the C, A , and High F and F# notes if needed and pinky frets the high G High D Low F, Low F#, Low C and fretted B if needed.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:12 PM

I learned when playing in/around the 1st position ... ring on the E string, middle on the A, and little finger on the high E (I might also barre the 3rd fret E string). The advantage is that it leaves my index finger free to pick a lead, add some passing notes, hammer on, pull off, whatever. It's also a quick and easy transition to the C major and F major chords since the fingers are already in position.

I usually play a first position E major. If that sounds like it should, I'll play a D major (minus the low E string) ... it's a way for me to check intonation, which in my experience is usually most noticeable on the B string, and shows up when strumming the chord. Then I'll play the G major, for the same reason, the 3rd fret G on the low E string can often go sharp when fretted.

Last edited by RustyAxe; 01-23-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
The fingering that I do without conscious thought is

middle on E string,

mute A string with side of finger,

open D and G strings,

ring on B string,

pinky on high E-string.
G5 power chord! No B in it.
Quote:
Adding index to the A string or leaving the B string open are the options I may decide to use.
Right - to produce an actual G major triad.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:57 AM

So far, I’m the only one who uses his thumb around the neck. I wonder why that is. Sometimes, if I’m playing in the key of C, I’ll keep the thumb planted as a pedal tone, and then just shift it down for the “wraparound” F-barre chord. You can also easily transition into a full or partial chord of the same F form, which can move anywhere on the neck, without having the drawbacks of a real barre chord, and still leaving 4 fingers free.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
Simple question. When you pick up your guitar and fret a G major chord do you use your pointer and middle finger on the e and a strings or your middle and ring finger.

I understand that there are situations where a four finger G major chord makes more sense. But if you just pick up your guitar and have nothing else in mind how do you fret your G major chord?
2nd on 5th string B
3rd on 6th string G
4th on 1st string G (and the 2nd string D when desired)

I always leave my index finger free when playing this cluster.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 PM

Default Preferred G chord fretting

I learned it pinky on the first, middle on 5, and ring on 6. Like many said, I like that free index for a quick change to C, or spice up things a bit by muting the A string and fretting a C on the B string for a Gsus4. But sometimes I do the 4 finger G if I’m playing a lot of G to D or Cadd9 or Dsus4 to G.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write