The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 PM

Default Playing With Bare Flesh and Volume

A week back I tried playing in front of a few people and they complained that my playing wasn't loud enough. Since then I've been working on playing with my nails. I'm getting more volume but it just doesn't feel as natural or fun to play that way. Those that play with flesh, how long did it take you to build up callouses for volume? I've been playing close to a year and my fingertips are just as soft as when I started.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 PM

I play with flesh only asa rule, and prefer it. I also struggle a little with volume. Your fingers will harden, but you will speed up the process if you dig in a bit more when you play - ie play loudly. Do your right hand (assuming you play righthanded) fingertips get a bit sore after you've been playing - if they do then the body will respond by starting to form callouses - if you are gentle and just tickle the strings, then its wil take a long time as callouses aren't needed. They form as a response to injury.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 PM
The Foreigner

When you were playing with nails, how long were they? How much "white" could you see over your fingertips when viewing from the palm side?

There's often a false dichotomy of "no nails" vs. "long nails". It's possible, to a degree, to get the best of both worlds by playing with short nails which are carefully shaped.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 08-20-2009, 11:39 PM

Paul, I'll try digging in more. My fingertips never get sore so this probably means I'm not playing nearly hard enough. I'd like to get those callouses like Tommy E

MMM, I keep just enough white showing to catch the string. I can't stand my nails being long.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:17 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
MMM, I keep just enough white showing to catch the string. I can't stand my nails being long.
hmmmm....I would've thought they would feel pretty "natural" with a short length. I never got the tone I wanted with bare flesh (I played that way for about 15 years before switching to short nails), so while I'm sure it's entirely possible (as Juber and Emmanuel have shown), it probably also takes very regular playing, and not simply time, to build up callouses to that point.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 08-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
A week back I tried playing in front of a few people and they complained that my playing wasn't loud enough. Since then I've been working on playing with my nails. I'm getting more volume but it just doesn't feel as natural or fun to play that way. Those that play with flesh, how long did it take you to build up callouses for volume? I've been playing close to a year and my fingertips are just as soft as when I started.
Hi FS...
The total volume output is a combination of technique and the instruments we play.

My most responsive guitars are nearly as loud fingerstyled as strummed. I suppose my technique took a couple years to come up to and match volume output of those around me with flatpicks.

Sounds like something to be worked out with the aid of a teacher or playing friend who can provide solid and helpful feedback.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write