The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 PM

Default Taylor 314ce action

I recently purchased referenced Taylor and when it arrived, it seemed the action was a little high for my liking. I am familiar with the setup process and shaved the bottom of saddle to where it felt comfortable playing up the neck. I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but now it doesn't seem to have the punch (volume) it had before strings were lowered. Is this possible?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost1 View Post
I recently purchased referenced Taylor and when it arrived, it seemed the action was a little high for my liking. I am familiar with the setup process and shaved the bottom of saddle to where it felt comfortable playing up the neck. I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but now it doesn't seem to have the punch (volume) it had before strings were lowered. Is this possible?
I do not recomment shaving an original Taylor saddle! Taylor has a calibrated shim system where the neck is removed and the neck angle adjusted to accommodate string height. By shaving the saddle you may inadvertantly limit the ability to adjust the height later on with that saddle.

Having said that, if you don't want to mess with the neck angle (which I'd leave to a technician) what I'd recommend is investing $15 in a bone saddle (from MacNichol.com) and shaving that one to the proper height, using the existing saddle as a guide, keeping the existing saddle without modification.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-20-2018, 02:24 PM

Thanks for that information. I have already ordered and received replacement from Taylor but not finding on their website what string height on 12th was when sent from factory.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:10 PM

To answer your original question, yes, whenever you lower the action on any guitar - you will see a slight reduction in volume and arguably tone. This is true of any guitar. Not sure I entirely agree with the previous poster about lowering the action on your saddle. I have owned 10+ Taylor's - all with the NT neck they are referring to. It is has never been a problem. Like you I have also ordered the bone saddle from Taylor, then taken a little off the bottom. Go slow, you can always take a bit more off but you can't put it back on.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
To answer your original question, yes, whenever you lower the action on any guitar - you will see a slight reduction in volume and arguably tone. This is true of any guitar. Not sure I entirely agree with the previous poster about lowering the action on your saddle. I have owned 10+ Taylor's - all with the NT neck they are referring to. It is has never been a problem. Like you I have also ordered the bone saddle from Taylor, then taken a little off the bottom. Go slow, you can always take a bit more off but you can't put it back on.
Just for clarification, I said not to modify the ORIGINAL saddle. It's too cheap and too easy to get a replacement and experiment with that using the the original as the template from which to start in terms of saddle height. If you screw up the replacement by shaving too much off you're out only a few dollars. With the original saddle unmodified you can always take it back to where it was if the lower action doesn't work out for whatever reason. JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-20-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that information. I have already ordered and received replacement from Taylor but not finding on their website what string height on 12th was when sent from factory.
Taylor actually sent you shim replacements? In the past they rarely sent it directly to owners. Or did you order the saddle?
Old 08-20-2018, 04:14 PM

I already altered original saddle by shaving it to lower the action. I'm starting from scratch with the new replacement. I'm not seeing anything on Taylor website about where they place height at twelfth fret though.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:04 PM

Take your Guitar to a Qualified Luthier before you ruin it!.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I already altered original saddle by shaving it to lower the action. I'm starting from scratch with the new replacement. I'm not seeing anything on Taylor website about where they place height at twelfth fret though.
Hi Ghost. One thing to consider is whether the guitar is at the proper humidity level. High humidity could be why you have high action. Here's a Taylor article on humidity that may help. I'd let the guitar acclimate at the proper level, i.e. 45% or so, before making any changes - if that's the issue.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/suppor...oms-wet-guitar
Old 08-20-2018, 05:19 PM

Just go to a Taylor dealer, (GC) and ask if you can measure a new 314ce and make sure you set the replacement saddle at the same height as the new one in the shop. Can you handle that ??? Measure the height of the strings down at the bridge saddle and make the new saddle in the bridge to the same height.That should solve your problem if you want to restore your guitar to it's factory setting, (or close to it) Just remember none of them will be an exact match, no 2 guitars are ever exactly the same !!!
Good Luck !!!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:45 PM

I was going to mention it earlier but forgot...

Something to consider that I think is important when doing height adjustments etc... Make sure you set the relief first before going after saddle height.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

When I have done setups on my guitars, the order of adjustment that I felt was best was 1. Neck relief 2. Nut slot depth 3. Saddle height.

Why?
1. If a neck has too much relief the saddle would have to be lowered excessively, killing a lot of tone in the process.

2. If the guitar is fighting you at the first fret, the nut slots are too high and sanding the saddle won't fix that.

3. See #1 and #2.

There's an interplay of all three which is written between the lines.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
When I have done setups on my guitars, the order of adjustment that I felt was best was 1. Neck relief 2. Nut slot depth 3. Saddle height.

Why?
1. If a neck has too much relief the saddle would have to be lowered excessively, killing a lot of tone in the process.

2. If the guitar is fighting you at the first fret, the nut slots are too high and sanding the saddle won't fix that.

3. See #1 and #2.

There's an interplay of all three which is written between the lines.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑THAT↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ ↑↑↑↑↑
Old 08-21-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
I'm not seeing anything on Taylor website about where they place height at twelfth fret though.
Factory specs:
Action at 12th fret
1st string = 3/64”
6th string = 5/64”

Neck relief = .009”

I wrote these down a couple of months ago after I found them. I’m certain it was from Taylor’s website but not easily found (hence I recorded them).

Hope that helps.
Clive.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:12 AM

Just thought I would add (you probably already appreciate this) that it is crucial when shaving a saddle to ensure the bottom is absolutely flat in both planes or it will rock/tilt and that will definitely rob the guitar of both volume and tone.

Hope you get it sorted!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion