The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-06-2018, 07:14 PM

You are over-thinking. What you want to do is simpler than you realize. Playing the same notes low on the neck versus playing the same notes high on the neck sounds the same to the listener. The difference is not called playing two different versions. The difference is not called two different arrangements. It is called playing the same notes in different positions or playing the same notes lo on the neck versus hi on the neck. Arranging is different. Arranging would be changing the pitches of the notes so that you get two versions that both sound different to the listener.

You merely need to learn to read music, and I find it best to never look at tabs. Learning whether to pluc a note lo or hi on the neck is trivial. It is just an incidental part of figuring out how to play a piece.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:22 AM

Does this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V0kbcZKbG8
Old 09-02-2018, 04:23 PM

Well the best option is to look for a teacher. Classical guitar is one of those things you really need a tutor: using the right posture, correct right hand posture, action of the fingers, position of the left hand, the angle of both hands, etc... etc... etc...
I REALLY recommend you to look some YouTube videos of this channel: ClassicalGuitarShed it's very informative for players of all levels. You might wanna start with the correct position and use of right hand (two separate videos IIRC).

Regarding the digitation of the sheets, that depends. Segovia preferred to play some notes more in the middle section of the neck (I'm sorry if i'm not clear enough, english is not my native), what I mean, he preferred playing an E note in the 5th fret second string, rather than using the open E string (the first one). Although many of us do prefer that.

If you decide not to go to a teacher, you might wanna start with the YouTube Channel I recommenden previosuly. Also download/buy "Pumping Nylon" by Scott Tenant. Read the concepts of free stroke and rest stroke.
Then I would proceed to Sagreras book I, the First Lessons. Although Sagreras asks the player to use the rest stroke, you might wanna avoid that, and use only free strokes.
After a while you should proceed to Carcassi's 25 Etudes.

-Generic classical guitar, no electronics (Medium tension strings)
-Taylor GS Mini-E Walnut (0.13 strings)
Mics: Rode M5, match pair, small diaphragm. Also AT2020, large diaphragm.
PC: Win 8, Netbook, 4GB RAM
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Interface: TASCAM Us-144 MK II
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

I like Rick-Slo's answer: yes there are multiple locations for the same note, but depending on other notes, you may be better off playing it in a specific location on the neck.

Additionally, and one subtle thing to consider: There are subtle tonal differences playing the same note in different locations on the neck and every guitar has its own character. So you might vary things depending which sounds best.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical