The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-06-2018, 09:32 PM

Haven’t played any of my CDs in either car in years. Gladly downloaded all of them to Apple lossless and play through my car’s BT. Also, I’ve been satisfied with my Sonos WiFi system inside the house although once in a rare while I still play CDs for more serious listening in my media room.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Use the USB. I have a Honda Accord. I put like 1000 songs on USB stick and plug it in to play from that.
This ^^^ is what I would do, also.

Or, have a CD player installed in the car. I typically put high quality mp3 files on a CD and can get about 10 albums onto a CD-R. These days every new CD I purchase I also turn into mp3 files to store in my computer. I don't use anything made by Apple.

Maybe I just won't buy a new car. At the amount of driving I am doing since I retired, my vehicles are going to last me a long time into the future. Or, if I do, maybe I will have them install a CD player.

- Glenn
Old 07-07-2018, 02:14 AM

Yes I know the problem . We have a new Mini Clubman Cooper and I use Apple Music £8.00 a month and connect via the USB port . My biggest fault with a lovely car
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 07-07-2018, 06:07 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Use the USB. I have a Honda Accord. I put like 1000 songs on USB stick and plug it in to play from that.
It was interesting - when I spoke with the tech people at Honda they couldn't give me a solid answer on whether this would work or not - I was looking at buying a unit that would record from CD and cassette on to USB.

They said "it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't" (more elaborate than that, but that was the bottom line).

I bought a 29.00 8 gig Sandisk mp3 player that is now full and working very nicely.

Are you able to access tracks/folders with the USB stick? I may try it now that I have the "list" uploaded onto my hard drive.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:20 AM

I'm not great on a computer but I load music on a thumb drive on my PC and use the shuffle feature in the car. (Good thing my PC has a CD drive)

Old 07-07-2018, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

My issue with USB is when you want to hear an exact album or song. Often shuffles seem to play some songs more than others.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-07-2018, 07:11 AM

I use my phone through a small Bluetooth speaker in my 14 year old car. I have access to any music I can think of and do everything through voice command. Extremely convenient.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
In the past 7 months I have acquired a used 2016 Honda Civic and a new 2018 Honda CRV. My question is, now that automakers are not including cd players in the audio systems, have you all been forced to downloading your massive cd collection to iTunes and then putting what you want on your phone or other device so you can play music in your car? I just spent 4 days, about 4 hours a day, downloading my "favorite" cd's to iTunes and transferring most to the iPhone. Am I missing a short cut somewhere? Thanks
I tunes is bad. You'll lose your music and investment, eventually.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:36 AM

Didn't even notice new cars don't have CD players anymore. I know there are options as pointed out here, but how do you replace liner notes or see who's playing what on a track? We often buy CDs at live shows and play them on the way home. Can't do that anymore, I guess. Just might have to buy a portable player and plug it in.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
Didn't even notice new cars don't have CD players anymore. I know there are options as pointed out here, but how do you replace liner notes or see who's playing what on a track? We often buy CDs at live shows and play them on the way home. Can't do that anymore, I guess. Just might have to buy a portable player and plug it in.
A Google search usually tells me all that and so much more. I understand that folks like to hold something in their hand but it's not like that information isn't available.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
A Google search usually tells me all that and so much more. I understand that folks like to hold something in their hand but it's not like that information isn't available.
Many of the small venue artists or house concert folks don't have a big web presence. That info is only on the CD sleeve.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:34 AM

Posts from the past.

Dang I just purchased a new Chevy and can you believe it; it doesn't have an eight track player....now what? I guess I'll have to start buying cassette albums.

I finally put enough money together and bought a new Ford yesterday. When I pointed out to the salesman it didn't have a cassette player he smiled and said the compact disc replaced cassette a few years ago.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
+1. That's the best feature of my Accord, the USB. I put my entire collection on a thumb drive and it's great. I do have a CD player in the car but I don't think I've ever used it.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
Many of the small venue artists or house concert folks don't have a big web presence. That info is only on the CD sleeve.
That's interesting, I've yet to run across that. Most I see are actually the opposite. It's FAR cheaper to have info and music online than to have CDs. A few do both but not many of the small venue folks we see.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
It was interesting - when I spoke with the tech people at Honda they couldn't give me a solid answer on whether this would work or not - I was looking at buying a unit that would record from CD and cassette on to USB.

They said "it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't" (more elaborate than that, but that was the bottom line).

I bought a 29.00 8 gig Sandisk mp3 player that is now full and working very nicely.

Are you able to access tracks/folders with the USB stick? I may try it now that I have the "list" uploaded onto my hard drive.
Yes, you are able to access both folders and tracks.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s