The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 08:05 AM

You know, all this love for these new 2012 and going forward D18 models is going to make mine worth about nothing 20 years from now because there will still be so many of them still out there that have been loved and taken care of. They won't be rare at all.

Just kidding. My 2016 is a Centennial model (stamped inside) so it will be a little unique maybe. I've been beating the heck out mine lately trying to get that thumb picking technique down while muting the bass with my right palm. That bottom end thump is something special with the D18. I too, sometimes just stop and look at it and wonder how lucky I got with this guitar. All you guys enjoy those D18s. We are part of a great club!
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 08-21-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdy View Post
...I did change the factory Martin strings with Martin light strings.
My tip for Martin players: If you ever get an inkling that your guitar does not quite sound as fantastic as you think it should, put on new strings. And don't be afraid to try different strings; you will hear your guitar in a new light with each different type of string you try. MUCH cheaper succumbing to GAS. For any Martin D (especially D-18, IMO), make sure you try a nickel-wound string like D'Adarrio EJ22 or Martin Tony Rice.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
My tip for Martin players: If you ever get an inkling that your guitar does not quite sound as fantastic as you think it should, put on new strings. And don't be afraid to try different strings; you will hear your guitar in a new light with each different type of string you try. MUCH cheaper succumbing to GAS. For any Martin D (especially D-18, IMO), make sure you try a nickel-wound string like D'Adarrio EJ22 or Martin Tony Rice.
Good point. In fact, particularly the D18 as you say.
Those Curt Mangans I put on Sunday are starting to sound a little better.
The Retro's are still numero uno.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-21-2018, 02:45 PM

Just curious for you Monel, Retros, Tony Rice string guys, you play finger style or use a pick? I think they sound AWFUL with a pick, though delightful with bare fingers.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Just curious for you Monel, Retros, Tony Rice string guys, you play finger style or use a pick? I think they sound AWFUL with a pick, though delightful with bare fingers.
I play retros with a thick (4mm) flatpick and also with fingerpicks and love them on both my D18 and 000-15sm.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Don actually shipped me a Lowden before he had my check. You're right, there aren't too many others like that.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:10 PM

Default d-18

Congratulations with your purchase. I bought a D-18E Retro from Maury's Music last year (a sponsor to the forum) and just love playing that guitar. I also have a Seagull which is about 20 years old, and I've tuned it to DADGAD to mess around with alternate tuning.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Remember, there are four components to a guitar's tone: the guitar, the strings, the thing(s) that are moving the strings, and the player. For any player, on a particular guitar, there will be better and not-so-good combinations of strings and picks. I suggest that you try different picks if you are ever inclined to experiment with nickel strings again.

D'addario EJ22s are great for me, flatpicking my Martin dreads, with Wegen BG or Bluechip picks.

Another anecdote: I can tolerate the sound of D'addario EXP 80/20 only if I play with a nylon pick or a Gator pick.

Last edited by jwing; 08-22-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I play almost exclusively with a pick. I like the Retro's tone.
Technique and pick thickness...someone already said it, have a lot to do with tone ...no matter what strings you use.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-22-2018, 05:18 PM

Martin does mahogany so well..........

Pre-arthritis I had a pretty nice fleet of Martin dreads, had to move them (to OM/000's). Despite being the least expensive, I kept my D-18GE (pre Authentics) to the bitter end, loved that guitar.

Now, once again, my least expensive Martin is an OM-18 Authentic '33, and once again it's my favorite.

Not only are Martin mahogany's wonderful guitars, they often are considerably less expensive than the rosewoods. The new D-18's are killer, enjoy.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion