The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-25-2018, 04:54 AM

Thanks, everyone. Just waiting to hear from Bourgeois...
Old 07-25-2018, 11:58 AM

Update - heard back from Bourgeois:

"Yes very dry conditions or over tightening the fingerboard bolts could crack the board. A repair like that would probably be around $150.00-$175.00. The best way to fix it is to unbolt the neck, carefully pull the upper frets (set them aside), align and glue the board then reinstall the original frets."

Bit of a bummer on a nice new (to me) guitar, but not the end of the world assuming nothing else is wrong with it. Bourgeois said they mostly only handle warranty repairs, so this wouldn't be a priority and might take a month or so, but they'd be willing to do the repair if needed. I may try to find someone local who can deal with it more quickly, though.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Thin CA glue is ideal for repairing cracks in ebony. I add ebony dust when the crack is wide. I wouldn't pull frets to do this. IMHO, the only reason to unbolt the fingerboard is to prevent the thin CA glue from accidently sticking the fingerboard to the top.
Simple fix, and not at all uncommon. In general, ebony is an unstable, brittle wood.
The PO dried out the guitar. IMHO, this did NOT happen as a result of impact during shipping.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Thin CA glue is ideal for repairing cracks in ebony. I add ebony dust when the crack is wide. I wouldn't pull frets to do this. IMHO, the only reason to unbolt the fingerboard is to prevent the thin CA glue from accidently sticking the fingerboard to the top.
Simple fix, and not at all uncommon. In general, ebony is an unstable, brittle wood.
The PO dried out the guitar. IMHO, this did NOT happen as a result of impact during shipping.
Thanks for the info. The seller is in Utah, so that's the first thought I had.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:07 PM

So is the seller taking any responsibility for this? He should at least refund you the amount of the repair.

You just got a professional assessment from the actual manufacturer indicating the crack reflects improper care of the instrument.

Present that information to the seller. He should give you some money back to offset your time, frustration and cost of the repairs.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:23 PM

It's looking like the seller will cover it, yes
Old 07-25-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Lord knows I am the last person to take issue with your opinion, John, but this is a Bourgeois, and removing the neck and fretboard is the simplest thing in the world.

Would it not be a viable alternative to remove the neck/fretboard and then glue the crack ? Eliminates any issue of glue clean-up in situ ...
Old 07-25-2018, 06:28 PM

Point well taken. I have never removed the neck on a Bourgeois.
I still contend that removing the frets to do this is totally unnecessary.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:28 AM

Just an update, I had a luthier glue the crack and it seems as good as new. I can't even see where it was. He didn't have to remove the frets, either. Less than $100 to fix, which was a nice surprise. REALLY great sounding guitar.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 PM

Oops, didn’t see your above post. ��Humidifier works on soft woods, but these hardwoods don’t heal up quite as well. Humidify it for a bit, then you’ll need a CA-wood dust fill in the crack. Also, dress the ends of the frets, that fretboard is not going to expand much. I’ve done these in place, haven’t had to pull frets. Agreed, get a professional to do it, which reminds me of the time I Crazy Glued my thumb to the top of a customers classical guitar. What goes on in the shop is between me and God.��

Last edited by BillRomansky; 09-07-2018 at 06:16 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair