The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-10-2016, 01:59 PM

Default Help with inlaying banner on headstock etc

Hi all. So my build #4 is for a friend who is a Gibson lover and also wishes to honor his late mom on the guitar. We've decided to do a Gibson style banner on the headstock and where it normally says "only a Gibson is good enough" I will inlay/engrave-fill his moms name.

However, I've not done inlay (or engraving) into inlay. Also not sure how to get the banner look, with the edge curls (though ive got an idea). Id like to use either ivoroid or MOP for the banner. I'm not sure what to use to fill in the moms name.

Your thoughts and experience would be really helpful!

Sam

Last edited by Sam VanLaningham; 03-10-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added example pic
Old 03-10-2016, 06:08 PM

Why not stick to the transfer decal that Gibson uses? I had a similar situation and I went to a sign maker, label maker and had him make me up a decal to go under finish (make sure to tell him the type of finish being used). I like to do my own inlay but if it is an important project and a decal was good enought

for Gibson......... just a thought.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:20 PM

Easy one, cut it out of a piece of pearl and then route a small script into the pearl and back fill it with black araldite

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-10-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Easy one, cut it out of a piece of pearl and then route a small script into the pearl and back fill it with black araldite

Steve
Yeah, fine dremel tool work by hand. Or a little bit of CNC work for those who like programming and computing.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Or just a graver -
Old 03-10-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post

Steve
That's perfect enough for me. Thanks all for the thoughts. Just wanting a little wind in the sail that you provided!

Sam
Old 03-11-2016, 10:04 AM

Make the banner out of MOP, make the turned edges of the banner out of a black or gold MOP so it has a shadow effect, then go back to MOP for the very end of the banner which is the "face" side of the banner. Gets the 3-D effect.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneaxe View Post
Make the banner out of MOP, make the turned edges of the banner out of a black or gold MOP so it has a shadow effect, then go back to MOP for the very end of the banner which is the "face" side of the banner. Gets the 3-D effect.
Love that idea! Thanks stoneaxe. I'll mock something up in a week or so and post it.

Sam

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair