The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-28-2016, 01:26 PM

Default Gibson neck needed

I need a late 40's early 50's (47-53) fat round Gibson neck for my J45. Shattered peghead, repaired once 35 years ago but now the glue is failing and it is pulling apart. So neck replacement time. I could build one from scratch and do a DGJ of it. But if someone has something that will work, J45, J50, LG1-3 late 40s early 50s please contact me. Thanks,
Old 02-29-2016, 08:55 AM

There has been one posted on Fleabay for a while - they are asking $500 for it. That may help to explain why it's been on there for a while. Other options - you could just carve a new headstock and splice it on. That way you preserve most of the neck. Or, you could just thin the headstock from the back, and overlay a thick veneer of matching mahogany on the back of the headstock. Where is it shattered, at the wrist, or the headstock itself. On such a vintage guitar it really would be worth the effort to repair the original neck if at all possible.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:02 PM

Why not get a quote to repair by a good luthier. It's certainly going to be far less expensive than finding and fitting a new neck.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlmJn View Post
. . . .I could build one from scratch and do a DGJ of it. . . .
I'd say that's your best bet. Finding a worthy original is likely to be a difficult proposition.

Frank Ford
Old 02-29-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlmJn View Post
I need a late 40's early 50's (47-53) fat round Gibson neck for my J45. Shattered peghead, repaired once 35 years ago but now the glue is failing and it is pulling apart. So neck replacement time. I could build one from scratch and do a DGJ of it. But if someone has something that will work, J45, J50, LG1-3 late 40s early 50s please contact me. Thanks,
This does not sound any worse than headstock replacement time.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 AM

If it was repaired with hide glue it can be repaired again and good for the next 35 years.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:57 PM

I appreciate all the ideas that have been put forth. I am a vary capable luthier even if unknown. For you Old Time musicians you may have heard some of my instruments with out realizing it if you listen to Dan Gellert. That said. There is not much difference between taking a tenor guitar and replacing the neck and bridge. Or taking a Martin 00 or 000 nylon strung guitar and converting it to a steel string guitar. I some situations tops and necks are replaced. In regard to my J-45 when I bought it 40 or so years ago it had a kidney shaped piece of 1/4 ply wood roughly 7"x3" glued to the top. Screwed to that was the remnants of a J200 mustache bridge to which was screwed a tune-a-matic saddle. There was a pick up crudely screwed into the sound hole with control pots and knobs affixed to the lower treble top and a 1/4 jack receptacle in the lower treble side. The sunburst is badly damaged. All other holes were filled and almost invisible. As the instrument is not a significant collectible building a replacement neck is not really going to lessen the value. It will certainly look better than some sort of ugly splice.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Check out the backstrap repair on Frank Ford's site (frets.com). It is my favorite method for repairing a troublesome headstock break, and IMHO it is not all that ugly. I have redone several failed headstock repairs by this method, and none of them have recurred.
I am not a believer in splines. IMHO, they are little better than dowels or screws.
OTOH, I have no problem with making a replacement neck for the guitar as described.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair