The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-03-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
The spokeshave I'd really like to have is this one.
That's a good tool and not overpriced if you're going to use it regularly.

If this is your first neck then this might be of use to you. I first use my caliper to establish the final thickness of the blank along the entire length of the neck shaft. It's a straight flat surface along my chosen taper from point-to-point, and when I get it compete (using straight edge and files) I mark it in heavy pencil on center all the way down. All the rest of my shaping is done between this initial thickness reference line and the sides of the blank. I leave the sides a tad wide so I get nearly-invisible joints when the board goes on and the final edge-trimming is done. The clearly visible line helps prevent rolling your files and such over the centerline and consequently thinning beyond your desired thickness.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:24 AM

Draw knife, spokeshave, Dragon rasps, abrasive papers in that order.
Tom
Old 03-04-2016, 11:53 AM

I use the "dragon rasps" available from Stewmac followed by sandpaper. Coarse and fine. They cut like butter and leave very fine tooth marks. One of the most important tools for shaping a neck is a pencil.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair