The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sounds good, do you need to do anything to the areas that are lighter from the sand paper, or will the spray bring the color back? Do you think I need to fill any more on the area I repaired? It feels smooth to the touch on the transition when running your fingers across the repair. Thanks for all of your help.
Clifford

Last edited by Southern Cross; 02-02-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:28 AM

Mahogany is difficult to touch up because it is so reflective. If you have some acetone or preferably lacquer thinner on hand, get the area wet. what it looks like wet with thinner is what it will look like with a clear coat. IF that looks good just go ahead and apply the clear coat. If it is light in the sanded area I would buy some stain and carefully brush it on in the light area. That will bring the color mostly back. If you want to hide the dark crack lines you need to get a bit more creative and paint over them in very tiny little brush strokes following the natural grain pattern.

You can use acrylic artist paints for this to mix and match your color.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 AM

If you can find some quickwood by Mohawk that would work great to fill any remaining voids and help hide the repair. It is an epoxy stick about the size of a hot dog that looks like a filled tootsie roll. You cut off slices and knead the two parts together. Then press it into the remaining divets. YOu couuld even use a razor blade to score some linew with the grain across the break. When filled that will help hide the dark crack. If you can find that stuff get it in a cherry color I would think.

Some professional paint stores carry Mohawk products and might just have all this stuff and more. Call a local refinishing shop and ask if they know where you can get Mohawk products locally. Then you will find tons of stuff to help you make this repair invisible.

Or just contact Mohawk. I don't work for them I swear. I just use their stuff every day.

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/ Mohawk does have an 80.00 minimum order I think.

http://touchupsolutions.com/ This is another company that sells pretty much the same stuff and they have no minimum order. I use both

Last edited by johna2u; 02-02-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default johna2u got a question

johna2u,
I got the epoxy stick, and attempted to put it into the remaining crevices, and am trying to hide the dark crack some. I am attaching a photo of my first attempt. Do you let the epoxy dry, and then sand it some? Thanks for any help.[IMG][/IMG]

Should I go over it again, and leave it a little thicker over the crack?

Clifford
Old 02-13-2016, 04:52 PM

It's looking good. The weird thing about those epoxy sticks is they want to stick to your fingers more than the wood or finish you are trying to repair. If you get your finger or putty knife wet it helps. Then it is like manipulating clay. So I always have a small cup of water handy when I use it. First press the putty into the defect as deeply as possible then come back over it to fill flush. Smooth over it with a dampened edge of a razor blade or finger tip. Set the remaining putty aside. When the leftover putty is rock hard you can go ahead and sand it flat. I usually make little sculptures with the remaining putty ball. Someday I may open a tiny art gallery.

Looks to me like you have it pretty flat. To hide the remaining crack line you will need to paint over it. I'd hit it with a little clear lacquer to see how much color comes back. Then paint in the background color with the grain.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Silver Creek T-160
Fender cd-140s
Guild GAD-50atb

Last edited by johna2u; 02-13-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, John,
I am going to spray the finish on tomorrow. Then strings, and we will see how it sounds. Hoe is your Taylor coming along?
Old 02-13-2016, 06:57 PM

It is looking really good. I will post some pictures soon. I wouldn't say it looks new but it is very presentable and you wouldn't notice the repairs unless you really look for them. I had to respray the whole back and rub it out but it looks great.

In order to really hide the sanded areas on your neck you will probably need to add a little stain. Maybe a little brown cherry. You might need to sand the finish off the whole neck. Then stain and finish the whole back of the neck. If you really want it invisible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Silver Creek T-160
Fender cd-140s
Guild GAD-50atb

Last edited by johna2u; 02-13-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here are some photos of the refurbished Big Baby.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Not perfect, but not bad considering where I started, and my skill level. I learned a lot, and I have decided to stick to my day job as an optometrist.
But I still have a lot of pride that I took a broken guitar, and made it whole. It still sounds very good.
Clifford
Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 PM

Wow! Looks great! Great job and it is holding up. That is the main thing.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Silver Creek T-160
Fender cd-140s
Guild GAD-50atb
Old 02-29-2016, 08:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, John. I appreciate all the advice you gave me along the way.
Clifford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair