The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
These are really enjoyable guitars. I have liked everyone I have played. So, congrats to you!

May I ask? How did you buff out the guitar? What did you use?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
Your MMV is just a private label 16 Series equivalent. Not a thing wrong with that. You are pleased with it. That is all that matters. Enjoy!

Oh, and why screw around with putting butter bean tuners on it. I believe it came with Martin branded Ping tuners, the mounting screw at the 6 o'clock position? If you pursuit butter bean tuners it will require some invasive modifications only to have just OK tuners.(Even the best ones.) Better you invest in some Gotoh 510s. Superior, IMHO and an easy drop in replacement.
Actually, the MMV has the same bracing as the 15 series; single tone bar on the lower bout with an asymmetrical bridge plate. Less bracing in that area allows the top to resonate a little more freely.

As for the tuners, I’m with the OP: Open back Sta-Tites for the vintage look. I have nothing against Gotoh 510s - I put a set on my Larrivee - but on a Martin I prefer the traditional/vintage look.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:23 PM

MMVs are awesome! Congrats!

Old 08-21-2018, 08:28 PM

Thanks guys! Today, we cleated the cracks, so tonight she sits in the shop, all clamped up, while the hide glue sets. I miss her
Old 08-24-2018, 06:55 PM

Default Mmv

Any updates on the repair?
Old 08-24-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesound View Post
Any updates on the repair?
Yes. She's all cleated and good to go! The luthier did an inspection of all the internal bracing, and gave her a clean bill of health. We ended up putting 2 cleats in. He thought it would be better than just doing 1. He also had a device that forced the hide glue into the crack. Then when we clamped it up, he verified there was some squeeze out from both the top and from underneath. He told me that unless it goes unhumidified through a severe winter, that it's doubtful I'll ever have problems with it again.

It is probably just my imagination, but I swear it sounds a little fuller, with a tiny bit more sustain now. It also seems to have just a touch more of that Martin "growl". It's impossible to be subjective about stuff like that, but I really do think I can hear it, and I think it's an improvement.

Now, the part you are probably inquiring about; the finish repair. I elected not to do it now. Basically, he would mask off the crack as best as possible, using speciality glue resistant tape and glue resistant crayon looking things, then fill the crack with a luthier specific super glue. It's applicator is a little tiny flexible tube that allows for ultra precise beads. Once it has dried, it is then scraped level with the surface, then polished and buffed out. I saw an example of this, and unless you get very close up, it's impossible to tell there was a crack there. And even close up, it's hard to tell if it was a crack or a slight imperfection with the grain of the wood.

Why did I not do it? Simple - I bought this guitar to gig with. My cs J45 and my HD-28 live in their cases. I take them out to play or record, then they get wiped down and put back in the case. A string change involves micro a fibre cloth pad to prevent scratches. They are both fantastic guitars that I consider myself very fortunate to own, and I keep them in pristine condition. Probably the best I'll ever have in my lifetime! I don't want another guitar like that! This one will go to the beach, to gigs, rehearsals, handed to friends to strum and whatever else you can think of. It lives out on a stand, right next to my computer, and gets picked up multiple times a day, including the occasional accidental bump against the desk. It's my work pickup truck, while the Benz stays nice and waxed in the garage. By the time I leave this mortal coil, it'll be looking like Willies trigger! (PS - I'll be polling you guys for pickup suggestions here shortly, but I'll do it in the amplified section)

FWIW, the luthier told me I can do the repair to the finish at any point in the future if I decide I want to.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:43 PM

Awesome! I know i really liked Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze on my Dread. And k&K are always nice on a martin lol.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:58 AM

I tried an 000-MMV and was impressed!

And I like OluKais too! Flip-flops, that is.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 08-27-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
I tried an 000-MMV and was impressed!

And I like OluKais too! Flip-flops, that is.
Yup - In the summer, if it's not a gig, a wedding or a funeral, you can expect flip flops on my feet! Funny you noticed that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion