The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default How to ask to try out someone's guitar?

I’ve been thinking about asking here if anyone here has a certain guitar in a reasonable driving distance of where I live so I could try it out and see if I like it enough to order a custom version of it (shorter scale neck).
What would be the best way to do this? Meet in a library? Go to their home? Other thoughts?
This guitar is not in stores in the U.S.A.
Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-14-2018, 07:08 AM

Based on your Location ID I say good luck.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:22 AM

My thoughts:
  • Start a "Does anybody own a __________ ?" thread in the appropriate subforum (General, Custom Shop, Classical, Harp Guitar, Archtop, Electric, "Other") and see what current owners (if any) think;
  • PM one of the current owners to discuss the instrument in detail and, if he/she lives within reasonable distance, negotiate mutually-acceptable (and safe) arrangements to check it out;
  • FYI a lot of information exchange takes place at community song circles, open jams, open mics, et al. - there's a local guy who shows up regularly at all of these with his $5K+ Goodall, and I've "educated" a fair number of people with several of my own instruments - and IME it not only offers a safe and public place for all parties concerned, but affords personal and professional networking possibilities in the process...
Hope this helps...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 12-14-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Steve for your helpful ideas.
Slothead, reasonable for me could be 3 hours or possibly more.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-14-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks Steve for your helpful ideas.
Slothead, reasonable for me could be 3 hours or possibly more.
Sorry....got confused by the intergalactic geographic location!

I think here at the AGF a simple “does anyone have an XXX I could try? I live kind of close to YYY” would get some good responses. And I’d invite owners of the guitar in question to weigh in with opinions of the instrument.

A lot of helpful folks in this part of the quadrant!

Last edited by Slothead56; 12-14-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Punctuation police
Old 12-14-2018, 09:25 AM

I am usually happy to let folks try my guitars. I sometimes want to see their guitar first to make sure it isn't thrashed from wild flat picking. And it always helps if you aren't wearing a bunch of metallic jewelry or a heavy leather jacket with studs and zippers. In other words, treat my guitar nicely and you can try it. I enjoy hearing my guitars from out front once in a while.

I'm nowhere near you in upstate NY, so cannot help directly. But the "does anyone have yyy" thread idea is probably your best bet.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Now you have me curious. Which brand is it? If it's a Furch or Avalon Fretted Buffalo has them in stock.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-14-2018, 11:37 AM
Musical minimalist

I'd start the thread in General -

______ guitar in ______ (your state) in the title line

Simple as that. It could progress from there.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 PM

No need to be cryptic. Simply state the make and model you're interested in, and ask for help.

If someone has the guitar and is willing to help, then you can communicate further by PM. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:53 PM

If somebody picks up a thin top Ceo=7 and proceeds to strum 1 chord then sing in unison with the percussion that they are wildly creating on that adi top. They may not get invited back.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry....got confused by the intergalactic geographic location!
Just so you know, slothead, I have a star ship that does warp speeds of up to 9.8, so I get around.

Thanks Earl. Yeah, can you imagine someone coming to check out a guitar
Quote:
wearing a bunch of metallic jewelry or a heavy leather jacket with studs and zippers.
I bet it's happened!

TBman--It's an Emerald X10!

Fitness1-- I like the simplicity of your suggestion:
Quote:
I'd start the thread in General -
______ guitar in ______ (your state) in the title line
Simple as that. It could progress from there.
Thanks jomaynor for this:
Quote:
No need to be cryptic. Simply state the make and model you're interested in, and ask for help.
If someone has the guitar and is willing to help, then you can communicate further by PM. Good luck!
Will do.

Ripdotcom--what you wrote probably has happened too!

Quote:
If somebody picks up a thin top Ceo=7 and proceeds to strum 1 chord then sing in unison with the percussion that they are wildly creating on that adi top. They may not get invited back.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know if I get to play this guitar.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:

TBman--It's an Emerald X10!
Tricky, but probably doable.

Emerald just came out with the new X10 in March I believe. They ship about 16 guitars a week. (last week's 22 guitars was an exception)

Most are X20s or the new X7. I also see far more X30s than 10s. I am guessing there are fewer than two dozen total of the new X10 in the states.

Most of these are, of course, in Phoenix already.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I recently did this for an AGF member looking to try out an Emerald X20, one of which I am delighted to own.

He found me through the Carbon Fiber sub-forum here, and I was happy to welcome him to my home after I checked him out his postings here, and his LinkedIn profile. His offer to bring along a CA Cargo and a Martin 2-17 convinced me that he was OK

We had a very nice meetup, and he has since ordered his own X20. I have another such visit lined up with another AGFer in the next few weeks.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-14-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I recently did this for an AGF member looking to try out an Emerald X20, one of which I am delighted to own.

He found me through the Carbon Fiber sub-forum here, and I was happy to welcome him to my home after I checked him out his postings here, and his LinkedIn profile. His offer to bring along a CA Cargo and a Martin 2-17 convinced me that he was OK ...
Add a bottle of 18-year-old single malt and he would have been perfect...
Old 12-14-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
It's an Emerald X10!
There are two fairly active CF members in NH. Those little bitty states back east are not too big to travel across. A post asking about an X10 in the carbon fiber room might get results. We only have an X7 classic, X20, X20-12, and now an X30 - so we cannot help you. The one X10 that I got to play in Phoenix recently was nice. And it is a bit of drive from NY to ID, much longer than your three hour window. But not very far by starship, and you don't even have to engage the warp drive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion