The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Fender Champion 40 Owners...

Got this little guy about 3 weeks ago and I really like it, but the speaker has got to go...
So, have you replaced yours? if so, which speaker did you choose and why?
for me, I'm looking for a clean sound that is not spiky at higher volume..

Thank you for all your input.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
...I'm looking for a clean sound that is not spiky at higher volume...
Eminence Cannabis Rex or, if you're OK with a few extra pounds (shouldn't be an issue since the Champ 40 only weighs 19 pounds to begin with), Swamp Thang; I've had the latter in my Bugera V22 for the last eight years and, between the frequency response (down to 70 Hz) and ultra-high efficiency (102 dB), my little 22W combo sounds like a 50W 2x12" - should do wonders for your Champ...
Old 12-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

No problem with the extra weight.

The Emminence Cannabis Rex is one I was looking at along with the Eminence Legend 1258 and the Warehouse G12C.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
...The Eminence Cannabis Rex is one I was looking at, along with the Eminence Legend 1258 and the Warehouse G12C...
FYI the surf dudes on a budget turn their 100W blackface-trim Frontman 212R amps (the predecessor of the current Champion 100 and a cult favorite) into '65 Twin tone-clones with a pair of Swamp Thang or Cannabis Rex speakers (keep in mind it's all about that "big-clean" blackface Fender tone at house-rocking volume for those guys), and I'll be fitting mine with a pair of CR's in the not-too-distant future (a pair of Swamp Thangs would bring it in well over 60 pounds - the very reason I don't gig my '65 Super RI anymore); since you're also looking to avoid "spiky" tone at higher volumes, IME one of these would probably be a better match than anything with even a hint of "British" tone (as with any analog solid-state amp, BTW), in addition to the fact that the higher efficiency means your amp won't have to work as hard - the aural equivalent of "free watts"...
Old 12-10-2018, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

All the reviews that I've found for the swamp thing are all very positive.

Two questions;
Will the extra watts give me more headroom?
Is it a bit darker? is this good or bad? (some reviews mention being darker)

Thank you for all your input.

BTW, I had no idea that they are being used on surfer music which I enjoy and probably the only lead playing I do for the most part.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars