The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 PM

Default squire Tele bullet

I'm really an acoustic guitar guy,but I just picked up a great
Bullet Tele,sounds and feels good,one problem is that it doesn't
Stay in tune,I may have posted this before,should I invest in some
Replacement tuners?new strings?
Thoughts'?
Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 AM

I would take it to a good guitar tech if you have one. I can make a appointment with mine and sometimes it only takes a few minutes to check everything for accuracy and often it doesn’t cost more than $20. I honestly would not be interested in guitars if I didn’t have experienced help. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:42 AM

Default squire Tele bullet

New strings may help but I doubt it is the main issue. Highly unlikely to be the tuners in my experience. I have had issues with an expensive G&L ASAT a few years ago and a Gibson 335 Studio recently. The solution to both were more or less the same.

You don’t go into detail about what the issues are but most likely the nut slots are binding (clamping the strings). Do you hear a sort of “pling” when tuning? A tech with the right tools (the right gauge nut files) can widen the slots slightly to make sure the strings move back and forth when being played and tuned. Even without the revealing pling the strings might be tight in the slots.

Another trick is to bend the strings as you are tuning up as sometimes the string can have more tension above the nut. By bending the strings as you tune you even up the tension and avoid it evening up as you are playing (and thus suddenly going flat).

I’ve learned that Gibsons with the traditional headstock are notorious for this issue as the extreme break angle - especially for the D and G strings - makes this problem likely. Fender style designs are more forgiving as the break angle at the nut is way less, almost nothing.

I had a tech widen the slot openings at the tuner side of my 335 recently and I bought a tube of Nut Sauce (or rather a different brand but the same thing, a nut and saddle lubricant). Since then I have had no problems with tuning on my Gibby.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-06-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
New strings may help but I doubt it is the main issue. Highly unlikely to be the tuners in my experience. I have had issues with an expensive G&L ASAT a few years ago and a Gibson 335 Studio recently. The solution to both were more or less the same.

You don’t go into detail about what the issues are but most likely the nut slots are binding (clamping the strings). Do you hear a sort of “pling” when tuning? A tech with the right tools (the right gauge nut files) can widen the slots slightly to make sure the strings move back and forth when being played and tuned. Even without the revealing pling the strings might be tight in the slots.

Another trick is to bend the strings as you are tuning up as sometimes the string can have more tension above the nut. By bending the strings as you tune you even up the tension and avoid it evening up as you are playing (and thus suddenly going flat).

I’ve learned that Gibsons with the traditional headstock are notorious for this issue as the extreme break angle - especially for the D and G strings - makes this problem likely. Fender style designs are more forgiving as the break angle at the nut is way less, almost nothing.

I had a tech widen the slot openings at the tuner side of my 335 recently and I bought a tube of Nut Sauce (or rather a different brand but the same thing, a nut and saddle lubricant). Since then I have had no problems with tuning on my Gibby.
How you doing, Pieter? Good responses.

I'll also add that the tremolo may not be set correctly (if it has one). So, start with a setup but my guess is that you'll want upgraded tuners. Definitely buy some new electric strings.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:45 AM

Tele won't have a tremolo^^. String binding is the most likely cause - what gauge do you have on it? Try some 9s if you have heavier on it. Use a little graphite on the nut slots (from a pencil if you don't have any powder).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How you doing, Pieter? Good responses.

I'll also add that the tremolo may not be set correctly (if it has one). So, start with a setup but my guess is that you'll want upgraded tuners. Definitely buy some new electric strings.

Hi Dru!

I’m good thanks! A Squier Bullet would probably benefit from better tuners but doubt that is the cause of the tuning issues.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-09-2018, 06:09 AM

That problem is nearly always caused by the nut, not the tuners.

I have never found sufficient reason to change the tuners on any guitar I have owned.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 12-09-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Tele won't have a tremolo^^. String binding is the most likely cause - what gauge do you have on it? Try some 9s if you have heavier on it. Use a little graphite on the nut slots (from a pencil if you don't have any powder).
Bad on may part - I was thinking Strat. Thanks for the correction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars