The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-23-2018, 04:47 PM

Default First Telecaster Advice*Update NGD and NAD*

If you'll look in my sig below you will see all the guitars I have now.

My first electric is an Epiphone Les Paul with dual humbuckers and using a Fender Mustang II modeling amp. Haven't really played it much at these past 3 years.

Looking for simpler. I think I was just overwhelmed with this combo in the beginning, but I've come a long way.

I really tend to gravitate towards the more clean electric sound which tends to push me back towards acoustics.

Now you have the background, I am in the market for a telecaster. Price range is $500. Leaning towards the classic vibe. Would like to have something with Fender on the headstock but may settle for a Squier.

Would also love to have a small tube amp to supplement, I may either sell the Mustang II, trade it in, or just give it to my son.

Thanks for any advice.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

Last edited by polarred21; 12-10-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Use all these black Friday sales to your advantage and get a Standard Telecaster made in Mexico. Pretty good and in your price range.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Your FS830 must be a nice guitar. As far as telecasters go, I just picked up a new MIM standard, now called ‘player’ for just under $1000 total CDN. If you’re in the US it will be less money. The plainsawn satin finished neck won me over the Squier classic vibe for supple feel (not hard like gloss) and I made sure to choose grain centred down the middle of the neck. The pups are good, finish quality is excellent, and the guitar rings out loud unplugged (it’s a good ‘un).
Old 11-23-2018, 05:32 PM

Yep, the Mexican made Fenders are all fantastic. (The only other option is to snag a second hand American made Telecaster). Colour, maple or rosewood fingerboard will be your only other decisions. (Depending what they offer at this price point). Stock pickups on the MIM guitars are fine also, but you can swap them out later if you want.

Love my Telecaster.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

How about one of these? I get B Stock stuff all the time- it's usually brand new.

https://reverb.com/item/13208757-fen...er-floor-model

https://reverb.com/item/1491932-fend...ke-placid-blue

https://reverb.com/item/13208836-fen...er-floor-model
Old 11-23-2018, 05:55 PM

I have the classic vibe custom tele...first import guitar I’ve bought in over 40 years, and I love it...playability and sound quality are as good as my American Standard Strat or the Les Paul I recently sold...
Old 11-23-2018, 05:57 PM

Default First Telecaster Advice

Good recommendations. A lightly used Mex Tele is a great choice.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

If you can spend just alittle more, you can get brand new. And with the make an offer, you might get one for $550 or less.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...&condition=new
Old 11-23-2018, 06:22 PM

Many thanks. Links are good.

Since I have several now with a "burst" type finish and I don't have anything with a maple neck, I'm looking for something of color with maple neck. I tend to like the red ones, flamed type finish is also good.

I really want to stay with a Fender or Squier, but what can you tell me about G&L? This is one pretty guitar on CL:

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/...754338403.html
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 11-23-2018, 06:33 PM

The Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster in butterscotch ( better pick ups) for under 400. This guitar is really nice, I mean REALLY nice. Great neck, frets, finish, tone, everything and it wont put a real dent in your wallet. If you are like me and are not going to play at Claptons Guitar fest this will work fine for you.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Many thanks. Links are good.

Since I have several now with a "burst" type finish and I don't have anything with a maple neck, I'm looking for something of color with maple neck. I tend to like the red ones, flamed type finish is also good.

I really want to stay with a Fender or Squier, but what can you tell me about G&L? This is one pretty guitar on CL:

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/...754338403.html
Musicians Friend always has G&L Tributes on sale. If you get on the phone with them, you might even get a bigger discount. They are often on the Stupid Deal of the Day. They have a bunch on sale right now. The good thing is they are brand new and you can send it back if you don't like it.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:19 PM

I had two MIM Teles that I made flamed and birdseye maple thinline bodies for. One of them I dropped Texas Specials in and kept for myself. The MIMs were far better than the American Teles at the time, not sure about the quality level now.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:35 PM

I picked up a Tele deal from GC for $179 and had a Setup.pickup adjustment for $40. "Blondie" will now live with me Forever!.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Musicians Friend always has G&L Tributes on sale. If you get on the phone with them, you might even get a bigger discount. They are often on the Stupid Deal of the Day. They have a bunch on sale right now. The good thing is they are brand new and you can send it back if you don't like it.
These are a good choice too. You have options. Happy hunting!
Old 11-24-2018, 08:52 AM

I can’t speak to the G&L tributes but I have a USA ASAT Classic that is steller. I would definitely investigate G&L as well as look at some of the Reverend tele type guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars