The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-06-2018, 04:35 PM

Default Big trapezoid with 82 strings

That's right! A hammered dulcimer entered my house today. I have no experience with the instrument but I love the sound and arrangements of different tunes I have found for the dulcimer. Will be woodshedding this winter to learn how to make it sound nice. This big guy even has dampers! Fully chromatic too. This particular model is a Songbird Phoebe. Any HD owners out there?

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 PM

Congratulations, enjoy that.

I've been picking one for about 25 years, gigging here and there with it. I play lots of harp tunes, Scots/Irish trad, polkas, breakdowns...

I use mine as a solo instrument - where its big resonance is an asset, rather than a liability - as it is in most pick-up groups. People are typically quite interested in it, so it's a great busking instrument.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:46 AM

So, whaddya think? Are you learning any tunes/techniques on it?
Old 11-15-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
So, whaddya think? Are you learning any tunes/techniques on it?
Yep! I've been arranging a few fingerstyle guitar tunes for it. Will post a clip here once I have something recorded!

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 11-15-2018, 05:51 PM

I've had the dulcimer for about 10 days. Here is where I'm at! Here are a few arpeggios followed my a piece of my arrangement of "The Wind And The Wheat" by Phil Keaggy.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 AM

Nice. I expect the instrument will inspire much creativity. Ringing steel strings are quite evocative. When I first heard the sound, it evoked in me a lifetime of pursuit - culminating in a devotion to wire strung harp (I started arranging harp tunes and trad on HD long before I ever acquired a wire harp). The massive resonance of these instruments is compelling - arranging for HD is lots of fun. https://youtu.be/u2xXfTNaKZU

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments