The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-13-2018, 08:48 PM

Just realized you are from KS - I grew up in North Central KS, so I can point you to a few folks.

If you are able to get close to KC, there is a violin shop and a fiddle shop basically next door to each other near the exit where the Ikea is at. KCStrings dot com is the "violin shop" and KC Fiddles is the fiddle store, but I don't believe they have a web site any more. Michael is the owner at KC fiddles and he is a real straight shooter. Lawrence also has a couple of guys I would trust but I don't remember who is in Topeka or Manhattan. If you are closer to the middle of the state, I have heard Wichita Band has a decent luthier. Hays and Salina both have music stores that may be able to service violins, but when I lived there I don't remember seeing much of a violin selection for purchase so the service may be limited. As a kid, I took mine up to Hastings NE for work, but I'm sure the couple who did the work has likely been deceased for 20+ years.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:10 PM

You all are great. I'm going to take it to a luthier here for an assessment. Wichita has some good shops. StewMac was great for electric guitar parts, but even then I incorporated a professional pickup rewinding service and paid for a setup. Ditto with my acoustic. A violin will require more skill than I have to give so your advise will be heeded. I really hope that I get good news regarding this instrument as I'd like to play my mother some music on it. Thank you all.

Gibson Dove
67 Fender Coronado mod
Old 09-13-2018, 09:16 PM

Momando, I noticed you're from Springfield Mo. Grandpa (widowed) moved the kids to Marshfield in the 50's and one of my aunts lived in Springfield near the university. Haven't been back for 40+ years. They tell me I wouldn't recognize the town, or Branson for that matter. I remember Branson being on a two lane ribbon road, just a pit stop on the way to Silver Dollar City. How things change. Thanks for your information, you've been very helpful.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:03 PM

The problem with precarved bridges is that they're only mostly carved. Each fiddle is slightly different in shape and needs each bridge specifically fitted for proper resonation.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:30 AM

If the owner of the shop offers you $150 for it as you walk out the door, you can be sure it’s worth $2000.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:38 PM

As a fiddle player, we need to see the OBLIGATORY pictures of your fiddle!! I had a very nice 1915 Czech fiddle that I sold to my brother when I bought my Horner and I’d like to have it back. Any time I’m at a festival and see a dealer or luthier selling old fiddles, I have to go play them!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-15-2018, 06:02 PM

What a very cool story! I hope you'll keep us updated.

I am curious--is the instrument in a case? Does you mother know or remember how he stored it? When I think of pioneers and the people of Appalachia, and consider how difficult it probably was to get an instrument, and then to take care of it, it's really kind of humbling and awe inspiring. Again, what a cool story & family heirloom!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:34 PM

I'll get some picts tomorrow and post them. Mom is being a little touchy about the fiddle right now, thinking I'm trying to appropriate it for my own use so I've back peddled on putting it in shape just yet. Dad recently died and she is grieving, they were married for 66 years. Change is hard.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:05 PM

The biggest danger with a soundpost is if you cut it too long, taper it wrong, or position it wrong such that it ends up putting too much force on the soundboard or backplate and eventually crack one or both. If you care about this violin at all please take it to someone who knows what they're doing and spend a little money getting it right.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments