The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 AM

Dogdog49, and what about the vocals? Is your M3BR8 also good for that?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
Dogdog49, and what about the vocals? Is your M3BR8 also good for that?
Better than any of my dedicated acoustic guitar amps including the AER. That's what I have available to compare it to. The sound is, as I said, comparable to a high quality studio monitor within the limitations of its 30 watts and 5.5" woofer.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 PM

I found that on youtube

The guy uses an AER compact 60 for the audience and a Fishman loudbox mini as a monitor. He must have a battery and an inverter then.

His friends joint with a Fishman SA220. Note that the guitar still goes to the AER (left of the video)

The guy with a Gibson, AER and a Neumann KMS105 and shure beta 58

Same guy with I believe to be an epiphone, a Ibanez Troubadour and a SM58

Then you know what you pay for.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-19-2017, 09:27 PM

So, I have a noob question. The monitor, is that used for the guitarist to listen? The speaker that the intended audience listens to, the guitarist doesn't hear it clearly?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
So, I have a noob question. The monitor, is that used for the guitarist to listen? The speaker that the intended audience listens to, the guitarist doesn't hear it clearly?
Yes the monitor is for the guitarist. The sound is clearer when the speaker is oriented to you.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-20-2017, 09:23 AM

Anyone try the Behringer MP40 it's a powered PA speaker 8in woofer and tweeter , 12 hour battery and the Pro model has wheels with a carry on type handle to wheel it around , also has blue tooth, just wondered if anyone tried or heard one and it's 40watts could be good for $199

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Last edited by CASD57; 05-20-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Anyone try the Behringer MP40 it's a powered PA speaker 8in woofer and tweeter , 12 hour battery and the Pro model has wheels with a carry on type handle to wheel it around , also has blue tooth, just wondered if anyone tried or heard one and it's 40watts could be good for $199

That sounds like another possible option.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
That sounds like another possible option.

I agree. That's looks like a nifty inexpensive solution. Might need something for reverb. The wireless mic option might come in handy for busking. This is obviously not high level pro gear, but might work OK for his intended purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post

During long conversations here, on battery amp possibilities, this behringer came up and got a good review on sound from its owner but, if I remember correctly, his first one broke down quickly and his second did too. He moved on to other options from there.

I've heard and played through the Samson Expedition on the street and the Alesis Transactive ( one I linked in an earlier post) is better. Considering the low price point we're working within, it seems to me that the right choices have become fairly clear.

When you see AER compact 60 owners (a $1300 amp) waxing lyrical about a 6x cheaper option, or, as in Cuki's video post, AER owners using options introduced to you earlier, that you can buy within the budget, I'd say gravitate towards that.

I'm also a touch leery of this idea that there are tiers of players, some who require less good equipment. I don't care how green you are, if you're out performing and your product is sound, there's no excuse not to go for the best sound possible within your pricepoint. If you're a seasoned musician, I'm pretty sure you'd do well to only recommend equipment you'd use yourself.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:17 PM

You would not believe the tube amps I went through looking for the Tone when I was playing electric....
I mean..GREAT TUBE Amps...Rivera's, Vintage..Super Reverbs, Pro Reverbs, Twins, Mesa Boogies....a couple of custom built amps..blah blah blah...
What I ended up with is something that had too much horse power...and could blow the doors off a 56 Chevy....and weight 75lbs
Whats good about horse power(watts) and speaker area... is it fills every void of your body with tone...It doesn't hit you in the shins...knees, or any spot projection...it fills the area...
The amp? Black Faced 1973 Twin Reverb with two Jensen C12N's pure and clean...
My point is... if you want a great sound your going to have to compromise by getting a great amp...Battery..converter and a hand truck..

If your willing to compromise you can do it cheaper and lighter.. with anyone of these battery powered amps.. Heck maybe daisy chain a couple to get a fuller sound...

I like the idea of the Behringer because it's like a carry on.. Just wheel it behind you...18lbs..isn't much... and maybe you could piggy back one with another like you do flight suitcases..
Reliability is the issue or was or is and hopefully fixed...Need to read some newer reviews...

In the end it's individual choice..
Old 05-20-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Much of the time, reflected sound will allow you to hear clearly and a monitor is then not required (not that it can't help, you just don't _need it). I'm personally so used to reflected sound that I find most monitor mixes off putting. Luckily I play alone most often and when I'm playing on a larger stage, I'll have the engineer run my monitor mic to a monitor down the stage. It sounds more natural to me that way. Hard to do when you're playing with others though.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:13 AM

I find that battery run time is usually about 1/3 to 1/2 of that stated by name brand manufacturers. It's much less for the fly by night companies. My Carvin S400D with it's matching extension speaker runs about 3 to 3.5 hours with the 2nd battery installed, while 8 hours were claimed:

A Crate Taxi TX15 and 3 Roland Cube Street amps worked great for a 3 hour concert at Bolsa Chica State Beach. There were about 30 Pacific Islanders in attendance and this combination worked well to to cut above the ambient noise of the Pacific Ocean:

Two Vox DA5's worked superb at my booth at an Earth Day Festival at Mission San Luis Rey:

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele582.JPG[/img[

Here we played a backyard luau using two Roland Microcube Street's and a Roland Microcube Bass RX for a bunch of partying school teachers:

My rig for a solo at a local Farmer's market using a Roland Cube Street:

With a standup bass player and wahine hule at a local farmer's market usint two Roland Cube Streets, a Roland Microcube RX Bass RX and a Roland Microcube RX:

At a backyard party in Encinitas using three Roland Microcube Street and one Roland Microcube Bass amps for a birthday luau:

I've busked with a Vox Mini3 and made over $500 bucks on a single day in Dana Point:

[

Here's a photo of some of my battery powered gear getting ready for a gug:

Old 05-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Wow, I'm impressed...What you lack in horse power you make up speaker area...
Do you have a Vox Mini5 Rhythm or tried one...???
Old 05-21-2017, 01:11 PM

In the Tiki booth above I had two Vox DA5's bungee corded to the frame of the popup. The DA5 was the predecessor to the Mini5. I use my Vox DA20 with an electric guitar and a high impedance microphone for busking oldies:

This shows the size difference between my Roland Microcube, my Vox Mini3, my Vox DA5 and my VoxDa20:

Yes, when each musician has their own amplifier the band can do the job better and cleaner. This was the setup for a luau for the Jonathon Tarr Foundation scholarship awards at a park in Encinitas where there were no available AC plugins. The PA system is two Roland BA-330's linked together using the stereo link feature. An AC-33 was used for acoustic electric guitar, a Microcube RX Bass was used for an acoustic electric bass and three Microcube Street's were used for 'ukulele:

Old 05-21-2017, 01:41 PM

Your Opinion of the Roland BA-330's for a Lone performer ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification