The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Default JBL EON One in the House

I'm trying out a JBL EON One and I thought I'd share some thoughts and findings in case anyone else is curious about this system. (Sorry! This gets pretty long!)

History: I travelled and gigged with nothing but Bose L1 systems for 11 years. I started with the Classic then moved to the Model 2 with the T1 and also had a Compact for smaller shows. The Bose systems served me well in many regards but as a gigging solo act I found more and more that I was put in situations where the "You hear what the audience hears" was not working! Tight spaces, EZ Up tents, gazebos with low ceilings, trailers stages, etc. often meant that if I wanted to hear myself well (which I like to do) I would have to be too close to a system that was too loud, too harsh, etc. So for the sake of my hearing I made a change.

About 15 months or so ago I sold my Bose stuff and went to all QSC K Series. In demoing these speakers I found that I liked different things about both the K8s and the K10s so I ended up with basically 2 PA systems: 2 K8s and 3 K10s! Way too much gear! I've never quite been comfortable with these speakers. In the right settings and at the right volumes they sound really nice but I have missed the more surround-sound qualities of the Bose stuff. I have noticed people having to lean in to talk once I start playing. The K Series can really put out some volume and throw the sound a long way but it's like a beam of sound. That's just not well suited for what I do and where I do it. Anyway, time for a change.

Enter the JBL Eon One.

First thought is that this thing is BIG! Not big in the sense of most subs, active boxes, etc. but big compared to what I think of when people talk about portable line arrays or whatever we call these systems. The sub is taller and deeper than a QSC K10. I saw the measurements but it doesn't look that big in the pictures. But even though it's big it's still fairly easy to move.

JBL did a good job pondering the configuration. There are little "ports" for the two spacer columns and the active column in the back of the sub so all of the tower pieces live back there. This would easily win a setup/tear down race with any of the other column/pole type speakers. At least the systems I've used (All Bose L1s and the SA220) All of the column pieces are tight right now so they offer some resistance putting them together and taking them apart but they will loosen up over time.

JBL does say you can carry this into the venue with one hand. They list the weight at 40lbs. I'm 6'4" about 210lbs so I'm fine moving it around but it's a bit clunky and could be cumbersome to lug this thing long distances, up tight stairways, etc. I always use a cart anyway so it doesn't really matter but for others considering this, it might.

The Mixer: I'm not sure why Fishman seems to be the only company (talking column speakers only) willing to put decent controls, in/outs etc. on these things. JBL calls it a six channel mixer. I guess, technically....maybe....in some weird sound-system marketing fantasy land you can call it 6 channels. It's basically two channels. There are more inputs and bluetooth connectivity but calling it a 6 channel mixer seems to be stretching it a bit. I would like to see a Mid EQ knob on the two main channels. But they did include a Master Volume which was my biggest gripe with the Bose L1 Compact.

With all of that said, once I got my mic and my guitar plugged in I didn't miss the Mid EQ knob so for what I do the mixer will work just fine. The biggest missing piece to me is the line out. I would really like to see some kind of balanced output to run to a house system, other EON One, etc. I'm really surprised they left that out.

And most importantly, the sound: I first plugged in an iPod to the RCA input just to get a sense of the system. I had it set up in our living room and I really liked the sound. Full and clean. I set up a K8 right next to it and went back and forth. The K8 sounded nice but obviously with the sub on the JBL I was hearing a fuller, deeper sound. They both did a fine job of filling our small living room but even in that space I noticed more of a surround quality with the EON One.

I moved the EON One outside. It was sprinkling so I opened our garage door and set it up at the threshold of the garage so I could walk around our yard and driveway. I set up a K10 right next to the EON One and went back and forth again with Lyle Lovett on my iPod. Again I was impressed with the sound of the EON One. We live in a busy neighborhood so I couldn't really crank it like I wanted to but I still turned it up and easily covered our driveway, yard etc. and the sound stays pretty even throughout the space. Much more so than the K10. I have no doubt that the K10 can get much louder but again, it's more of a beam of sound. I also liked how much I could hear behind the JBL. This is a big deal for me. I often play in parks, festival-type settings where my whole audience isn't right in front of me.

I moved the EON One and the K10 to the back of our huge garage and shut the door for the sake of the neighbors and set up my mixer, got my guitar and mic. I plugged into a QSC Touchmix 8 and took a right out to the JBL and a left out to the K10. This was the biggest surprise to me in all of this testing. The JBL sounded much, much better than the K10! I was blown away! When I demoed the K10's against my Bose L1 the K10s sounded much better than the Bose!

Again, I'm in a garage so not the ideal setting and this is my voice, my guitar and the way I'm used to hearing myself so this is by no means a blanket statement but the K10 sounded muffled and boxy by comparison. Very surprising!

I moved my mic and stood about 8 feet to the side and about 3 feet behind the JBL and I could hear myself nicely from that spot so that's a good thing too! I then added my Porchboard (a low end rhythm instrument) to the mix and got a nice, pleasing thump from the sub.

I concluded my testing by plugging my mic and guitar directly into the EON One and dialing in a nice sound. I'm playing tonight and tomorrow on this great little patio behind a hotel here in Duluth. It's about 75 yards from the shore of Lake Superior. I play here maybe 8 times a year and it's one of the places I've really missed SOME of the aspects of my Bose stuff. I'm going to skip the QSC mixer and go guitar and vocals right into the JBL and I really think I'm going to have the best of both worlds. From what I heard yesterday, the sound quality is great and I'm going to get more of the surround sound that I'm looking for. There are people everywhere down there this time of year. If the EON One works like I think it will, those sitting on the patio visiting will be able to do so AND those wandering around, walking the lake walk, sitting behind me etc. will be able to hear me.

Some final thoughts: I think the EON One is more of what I'm looking for. I don't need to get super loud. I need to fill some bigger spaces with sound. There's a big difference! I ordered a second EON One and I'll sell off all of the K Series. My plan is to use one JBL as needed for shows like this weekend and then for larger shows, I'll use two as FOH speakers. I'll go into the TouchMix8 and take a left and right out to the JBLs, spread them out and fill the space. I won't place these behind me like I did with the Bose stuff. I will either be able to hear myself well from behind and/or off to the side of the system(s) or I'll use my in-ears.

My perception is that I will be reaching more people with a better quality, evenly disbursed sound. I'll get to really test all of this out in the next 3 weeks so I guess I'll see what happens!

Matt
Old 07-08-2016, 08:55 AM

Excellent review. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to your report from your gigs this weekend. Best of luck!
Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Matt,

Thanks for your in-depth review of the JBL EON One. I've always enjoyed reading your equipment reviews and partaking of your expertise! I, too, had a pair of QSC K10 Active Speakers and although they were capable of getting loud, I never thought they sounded "musical" or "nice" when driven to more than moderate volume levels, so away they went.

Ken
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 AM

Default Don't stop there!

As you get more experience with them, keep us posted. I just opted for the (blow-out-priced) Fender Expo/LD Systems Maui 11, so we are kind of on parallel paths. I look forward to hearing more as you use the system "in anger," And I'll be updating my experience as we use the system more.

Thanks for posting this -- great stuff!

Joe
Old 07-08-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post

(Sorry! This gets pretty long!)
That's the only part of your review that I didn't like

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. More please, if you feel like it.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:09 PM

Default I'm WITH YA Brother!

Hey Matt - Mike O' here - right in sync! I bought a One yesterday myself :-}

Should be delivered next week, and I have band gigs next couple months to try it out..

Your review, especially you just generally digging the sound, is encouraging. I'm running on faith - didn't even go into GC or Ash to listen to one first, just had a feeling it would work for me, after reading everything I could find.

I look forward to using a lot of the inputs - mic, Tele > electric guitar amp lined-in, separate input for the Fishman piezo bridge pickup.. I laughed when I read the details of the "SIX-channel mixer", but I think actually it will work fine for me as it is, plus some. Like you, I wondered about a Mid - but actually, a Mid knob is only a LITTLE helpful -- if you REALLY need mid-control, you need a full multi-band eq, OR parametric. I don't really need either right now, so a-ok-fine.

I don't think the RCA-L-R line out will suit me either - need separate channel line-out or it's not useful. I will probably get a Radial ProMS2 xlr splitter to send my mic to our "main mix", which will be nice to have anyway. I expect the One to project my guitar enough, even over our loud band.

I don't use a cart, so I may get an SKB rolling speaker case. I was quite surprised that the One does not come with even a light cover. Oh well..

I will be selling my K10 soon too, and my SoloAmp, maybe one of the old Bose Classics. Might even move my L1C and go all ONE!

Our Amplification Adventure continues.. great to hear from ya!

MIKE O'

Last edited by MikeTX; 07-08-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:23 PM

It seems to me we all have the same criticism of the mixer. If they did nothing else but provide 4 combination inputs, I think we'd all be happy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
It seems to me we all have the same criticism of the mixer. If they did nothing else but provide 4 combination inputs, I think we'd all be happy.

And no real Line Out either! I often wonder who designs some of the gear that's out there? It's like companies design in a lot of nice features and then, because of a brain-freeze or the ever-watchful eye of company bean-counters, they stop short by not including a simple and useful feature. Is it to save a couple of bucks on the manufacturing costs or to meet some consumer price-point? It probably is but why? Why not add $5 to $10 extra bucks to the price of a piece of gear, if it's really necessary, and make it whole? There isn't any musician I know who wouldn't mind paying that small extra fee for a feature we know should be included in a piece of gear!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-08-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
And no real Line Out either! I often wonder who designs some of the gear that's out there? It's like companies design in a lot of nice features and then, because of a brain-freeze or the ever-watchful eye of company bean-counters, they stop short by not including a simple and useful feature. Is it to save a couple of bucks on the manufacturing costs or to meet some consumer price-point? It probably is but why? Why not add $5 to $10 extra bucks to the price of a piece of gear, if it's really necessary, and make it whole? There isn't any musician I know who would mind paying that small extra fee for a feature we know should be included in a piece of gear!
Exactly. Hopefully the JBL One dot One includes these.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:37 PM

Very helpful review, Matt, thanks! Looking forward to hearing more as you get to work with the EON One more. Sprucetop, great comment. Right on!

cotten
Old 07-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for weighing in everybody! It's fun to hear that many of us are on a similar path!

And for those upset about the line out on the EON One, I did find this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SC700CT

So you could take the RCA out into this box and then send a balanced signal to another source.

I now have one show under my belt with the JBL EON One.

The short version: The EON One surpassed my expectations. It was very easy to set up and dial in a very nice sound. The sound was clean, clear and detailed and I filled an astounding amount of space while maintaining a very nice listening volume for those close by.

The long version:

The Venue: This is a really nice hotel in Canal Park which is the main tourist area of Duluth, MN. They have a nice back patio about 75 or so yards from the shore of the lake. The lake walk runs right behind the hotel so there is usually a ton of folks walking, biking, handsome cabs, etc. There is a big yard behind the hotel where people throw frisbees, toss beanbags, etc. So on a beautiful summer night, there is a lot going on back there.

Last night was NOT a beautiful summer night. Our high for the day was in the low 60s. It rained most of the day and by the time I set up a layer of fog had settled in. This is life on the shore of Lake Superior. There was NOBODY out there for most of the evening!

Not a great night to play BUT a great opportunity to fool around with new gear!

I play here maybe 6 times a year. I used to travel and play all the time. Sometimes 30 shows a month but I'm more of a stay-at-home dad, military spouse these days. This show is my only local show and it's a very nice, laid back chance to get out of the house with a guitar, try some new songs, and keep in some sort of performing shape.

The gear: Vocal mic is an Audix OM-5, guitar is a Rainsong JM1000 with a Fishman under saddle transducer (Prefix Plus T on-board preamp) and my ukulele is a mahogany tenor from Mainland Ukes with a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio.

That's it! I left my QSC TouchMix 8 mixer at home and I also left behind my Grace Design Felix. I have a Fishman Rare Earth Blend on a separate jack in the Rainsong and I've been using the Felix to blend the two sources. It's a huge sound but I wanted to see how the JBL did with the least amount of gear possible so I was streamlined last night.

The load in/out was as easy as it gets for me. My first trip is my uke on my back, my CD table in one hand, a Bose L1 tower bag in the other with my mic stand, guitar stand and power strip and a Timbuk2 bag over my shoulder with my mic, cables, harmonicas and harp holder. Second trip is my guitar on my back in a Blue Heron soft case, a Wesco Mini-Mover folding dolly with an old turntable flight case down first. That holds my CDs. The JBL EON One next then a small Duluth Pack briefcase that holds my Musician's Table and an extension cord. Done!

It took me longer to set up my CD table than it did to set up the EON One and get my mic and guitar plugged in! I dragged my mic and guitar out in front as far as my cables would allow and dialed in my sound. I ended up with the master volume just past half way. Vocal mic is at about 1 o'clock with a slight boost to the high end. There is a mic/line button on the two main channels. Plugging my guitar straight in, I chose Mic and then barely brought up the volume at all. With Line I had to crank the guitar almost all the way up. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm doing something wrong here but what I did worked so that's good enough for me.

I stood about 6 feet in front and a few feet off to the side of the system and I could hear myself perfectly.

While I was playing, I wasn't thrilled with my guitar tone from where I stood. I kept thinking that I should have brought the Felix and done the dual source but since there was nobody out there, I would walk out a little and once I got a little bit of distance, maybe 10' or so from the system, I thought the guitar sounded just fine. The other "mistake" I made from my performance spot was that I thought the vocals were just a bit too out in front so after a few songs I undid that slight boost to the high end. My wife showed up about 15 minutes before I was done so we could go out for a beer (we are kid free this week!) and she said she thought the vocals could have been a bit more out in front! So, it turns out what I was hearing from where I was playing isn't quite accurate enough to make adjustments. Good to know!

Coverage: because of the weather (or maybe my music!) there wasn't much going on back there last night. I was by myself with just a few folks walking on the lake walk for most of the show. After about an hour two college age kids who work for the city came by and sat down. They said they could hear me at Endion Station! What does that mean? Between Endion Station and the EON One is half of the hotel where I'm playing, a Hampton Inn, a brewery with a patio and one more hotel! It's close to a half a mile away. They said it wasn't loud down there but audible!

I started at 6pm and by about 7:20 or so the fog had lifted and while it was cold for July there were some folks out and a few of the tables on the patio were full. People sitting on the patio were able to talk if they wanted without leaning in. I asked and everyone said the volume was just fine for the patio. My wife walked around and said it was a nice even volume throughout a very big space.

It felt so good to play like this again! It was very comfortable and freeing to know that I wasn't too loud for anyone yet folks all over the place could hear me. All my K Series stuff is up for sale and I'm once more, a happy music guy!

I'll be back down there tonight and we have a picture perfect summer day/evening so it should be packed down there!

Matt
Old 07-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Matt!

How about that North Country Summer Weather! I used to spend many summer days at my relations over in Timmins and Sudbury, Ontario, and can attest to summer weather in the north. It could 90 degrees F one day, and 40 degrees F the next!

I've found the Fishman Matrix UST, when in a RainSong, sounds like a cross between a UST and a SBT because the graphite is so vibrationally efficient that the Matrix picks up not only the string vibration but also top and body vibes too. Do you also notice this effect? I think the Fishman Prefix Plus T should offer you enough tone control over your JM1000 that you wouldn't really need to carry your Grace Design Felix. Yes/No?

It sounds like the JBL EON One, as do Bose L1 systems, has the typical need of line-arrays for a bit of distance from the gear to the performer to enable the woofer and mid- and treble-range tones to meld as a unified whole sound field. I've found that sitting down, so my ears were more equidistant within the top-to-bottom height of the woofer and column soundfield of my now-sold Bose L1 Model II, helped reduce the distance needed away from the gear for better performer monitoring. Anyway, thanks for sharing with us your first gig with your JBL EON One in such a nice venue. You've got me interested in this system!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Matt!

How about that North Country Summer Weather! I used to spend many summer days at my relations over in Timmins and Sudbury, Ontario, and can attest to summer weather in the north. It could 90 degrees F one day, and 40 degrees F the next!
It's crazy! Duluth is built on a hill so we basically have two completely different climates. One up on the hill and the other down by the lake. Last summer my son and I were driving north into the city of Superior, WI and my car said it was 90. We play a game where we have to guess our driveway temperature. It was 67 in our driveway just over the bridge in Duluth!

It was mid to high 70's all day today but then the wind shifted tonight so it got chilly again out on the patio!

Quote:
I've found the Fishman Matrix UST, when in a RainSong, sounds like a cross between a UST and a SBT because the graphite is so vibrationally efficient that the Matrix picks up not only the string vibration but also top and body vibes too. Do you also notice this effect? I think the Fishman Prefix Plus T should offer you enough tone control over your JM1000 that you wouldn't really need to carry your Grace Design Felix. Yes/No?
I do prefer the UST in the JM1000 to USTs in wooden guitars but I'm still not sure if I'll use the JM1000 with just the UST.

I have a very cool limited edition Rainsong with an Anthem Stage Pro. I've been fighting with the Anthem since I got the guitar over a month ago. I've moved that tiny little screw all over the place and finally got a really good tone but my low E was dull and unresponsive. Today I took the strings off and found the saddle was a bit too wide and was crammed into the saddle slot. I sanded it down so it fits in the way it should and boom! This little Rainsong sounds incredible! This is my first go-around with the Anthem and it does take some screwing around but it was worth it!

Once I got that all dialed in, I had a shoot out and the Rainsong with the Anthem won pretty easily.

So tonight I took that and the Felix. I ran both my guitar and vocal mic into the Felix and out to the JBL. I was even more pleased with the sound.

I'm not totally sure on this but my thinking now is that if I am going to set up a piece of outboard gear with the EON One, my best bet is the QSC TouchMix 8. The preamps in the Felix are great but it's about a horse a piece as far as set up goes and the TouchMix gives me easier routing/control options and more channels if needed. This will especially be true next weekend when I am using two EON Ones and my Porchboard.

Quote:
It sounds like the JBL EON One, as do Bose L1 systems, has the typical need of line-arrays for a bit of distance from the gear to the performer to enable the woofer and mid- and treble-range tones to meld as a unified whole sound field. I've found that sitting down, so my ears were more equidistant within the top-to-bottom height of the woofer and column soundfield of my now-sold Bose L1 Model II, helped reduce the distance needed away from the gear for better performer monitoring. Anyway, thanks for sharing with us your first gig with your JBL EON One in such a nice venue. You've got me interested in this system!
I think you are right on here! It doesn't take a lot of distance but a bit of distance helps. I bet you are also right about sitting. I just can't do it! I've always stood and probably always will until I get too old!

My height has caused a bit of trouble too with these little line array type systems. At 6'4" my ears are usually at the same height as the little active parts of these things but I'm going to be smarter this time around and if I'm pushing any kind of volume I'll get away from it/them and use my in-ears.

Thanks for weighing in again. I have fun fooling around with this stuff and I'm always excited to hear what others have to say.

All the best!
Matt
Old 07-12-2016, 07:48 AM

Default My only real concern...

Wow, this is excellent stuff! I'm really looking forward to running the Fender Expos I bought next week in a similar venue, and I am stealing what knowledge I can from you in preparation for it. So let me say again, thanks very much for sharing!

You have hit on the only real concern I have for using my new Expos: the required distance to hear what it really sounds like out front. For a few of the venues we play regularly, it won't be a problem to be six-to-eight feet away; for others, that will be an extreme challenge.

Honestly, I'm not sure it will be a huge big deal, because I don't hear what's out front with my rock band now (in-ears and stage volume preclude that), so I'm not sure I necessarily need to hear exactly what's out front with my acoustic duo. All I really need to know is if the relative mix is good.

So, proximity effect aside, did you have a pretty good idea of what the mix sounded like -- even if the tonality wasn't quite exactly the same?

Joe
Old 07-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInOttawa View Post
Wow, this is excellent stuff! I'm really looking forward to running the Fender Expos I bought next week in a similar venue, and I am stealing what knowledge I can from you in preparation for it. So let me say again, thanks very much for sharing!

You have hit on the only real concern I have for using my new Expos: the required distance to hear what it really sounds like out front. For a few of the venues we play regularly, it won't be a problem to be six-to-eight feet away; for others, that will be an extreme challenge.

Honestly, I'm not sure it will be a huge big deal, because I don't hear what's out front with my rock band now (in-ears and stage volume preclude that), so I'm not sure I necessarily need to hear exactly what's out front with my acoustic duo. All I really need to know is if the relative mix is good.

So, proximity effect aside, did you have a pretty good idea of what the mix sounded like -- even if the tonality wasn't quite exactly the same?

Joe
When playing close to a line array, the nice thing about hearing a lot of the column when performing is that it really aids in monitoring your vocals. Of course, being real close can be of concern for the health of your hearing if the system is turned-up loud. Good Luck next week with your Expos!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification