The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2013, 08:18 PM

Default Adding a mic to K&K pure mini

Hi,

I'm using a passive K&K on my Taylor. It's pretty good by itself, but every now and then I wonder if it would sound better with a mic. Looking at the solutions from K&K, they are expensive and invasive. Is there an easier way to add an internal mic to add some air?

Since I'm using it passive, it shouldn't be that hard to get a mic powered by a 9V and switch it on through a TRSS jack, right? So say the Silver Bullet, no pre-amp for <$100. Can I stick a 9V inside, switch the mic on via the jack and blend the 2 sources externally with no on-board volume control?

Thanks.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

You can try adding the K&K mic (Solder to the plug- K&K has instructions) and use the stereo K&K Pre. I use to have the full blown on board system but it was to much mass on the acoustic sound suffered. I removed it and no just have the mini and Mic with the external pre
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Wire the mic in stereo with the pure mini (SBT to tip, mic to ring). Use a stereo TRS cable to a preamp that can supply 9v power. The K&K preamps, D-Tar Solstice (15v, but it's fine), Headway EDB, Highlander PAMDI, etc. I use a Raven Labs PMB-2.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:29 PM

Jack from K&K told me how to power it from an internal 9v battery:

A 10k resistor is installed in series with the positive lead of the battery.
One end of the resistor is connected to the battery plus lead and the other
to the hot wire from the mic which also is connected to the endpin jack ring
terminal. The negative lead from the battery and the shield of the mic cable
are connected to the sleeve/ground of the endpin jack.
The resistor acts as the load for the mic (it has an internal preamp) and is
a current limiter.

The mic needs 5v, so the 10k resistor steps down the 9v to 5v.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 11-01-2013, 10:05 AM

My guitar currently has both a K&K and a miniflex 2mic (model 1). They blend together nicely. A second jack is needed for this combo but I don't mind. I have never tried other internal mics but the feedback resistance of the 2mic is good enough for me. It's about the same as the K&K so I can have a 50:50 blend without lowering my volume.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:03 PM

I play solo acoustic shows and I add an external shure pg81 mic on a mic stand. Blends in well and there's no installation needed
Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Hi,

I'm using a passive K&K on my Taylor. It's pretty good by itself, but every now and then I wonder if it would sound better with a mic. Looking at the solutions from K&K, they are expensive and invasive. Is there an easier way to add an internal mic to add some air?

Since I'm using it passive, it shouldn't be that hard to get a mic powered by a 9V and switch it on through a TRSS jack, right? So say the Silver Bullet, no pre-amp for <$100. Can I stick a 9V inside, switch the mic on via the jack and blend the 2 sources externally with no on-board volume control?

Thanks.
There are basically three types of mic additions to a pickup such as the K&K Mini. First, there's an internal condenser mic. Second is an external mic on a stand (dynamic or condenser). Third is a hybrid, a small mic that mounts on the outside of the guitar itself with a bracket/mount.

In all three cases, it is best to have separate gain and eq for (i) the K&K SBT and (ii) the microphone (whichever one is used) before any summing of the two signals or mixing of them. This is the only way I know to end up with the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
In all three cases, it is best to have separate gain and eq for (i) the K&K SBT and (ii) the microphone (whichever one is used) before any summing of the two signals or mixing of them. This is the only way I know to end up with the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
My K&K and the 2Mic happen to need similar EQ (a bass roll off and a mid cut at about 1.4k Hz), so in my case I actually blend the two sources first (using a small mixer) and then use my Fishman Platinum to EQ and boost the signal. Maybe I'm just lucky...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification