The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Hi Open-Road-Matt,

Thanks for relating your Bose L1 Model II with T1 experience! The aspect that I seem to like about what you and others have said about it is its ability to generate a good clean sound for the performer while enabling gig customers to listen comfortably while talking amongst themselves. Thus, the Bose system would help the performer enhance the social/musical aspect of their get-together with friends instead of competing against it. Cool!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 AM

That is what is great about the Bose ... it covers well (and clean) without having to be so loud for smaller gatherings especially.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oridiun View Post
I've been looking at the Bose L1, The fishman solo amp, and the fender passport portable PA 150-250

To me, the Fishman solo amp just didn't have enough inputs, i haven't looked to much into how many the Bose had, but it seemed to have more...

Any suggestions?

I mainly play in small to medium sized churches who either have very jerry-rigged pa systems or none-at all...

it's generally me and an acoustic, but occasionally a singer or two extra.

I have a Taylor 210E

With it's standard under saddle piezo
The L1 has the same number of inputs as the Fishman, but no real EQ or reverb...also, they're excessively expensive for what you get (lots of better "bang-for-your-buck" options out there!).

The Fishman is quite a bit better, sonically, and you can always add a passive mixer to expand the number of inputs, or just buy a different PA rig...the only real flaw in either is that if you're playing in an irregularily shaped room, neither will get your sound out to every one in the audience...for that, you'll have to have two speakers.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Hi TAH,
have you used a Bose in an odd shaped room? (Just wondering)
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-23-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAllanHall View Post
The Fishman is quite a bit better, sonically, and you can always add a passive mixer to expand the number of inputs, or just buy a different PA rig...
i suppose that depends on one's definition of "sonically better". When I tried the SoloAmp and the L1 Compact side by side with all controls set flat, the Bose was more accurate, that is, the amplified sound of the 414ce was closer to that of the guitar unplugged.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 AM

That's the first I heard anything good about the Compact.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:59 AM

Interesting - I always thought the Bose ate odd shaped rooms for a snack - I know mine does! With its 180 dispersion, which seems more like 360 to me - seems like the sound is everywhere. Not very scientific I realize, but based on actual experiences... MY opinion anyway...
Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
That's the first I heard anything good about the Compact.
That may be because others have not evaluated the amplified sound on the basis of accuracy or because I have a tin ear.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Interesting - I always thought the Bose ate odd shaped rooms for a snack - I know mine does! With its 180 dispersion, which seems more like 360 to me - seems like the sound is everywhere. Not very scientific I realize, but based on actual experiences... MY opinion anyway...
Anyone thinking that a line array is at a disadvantage in odd shaped rooms should explain why they think that.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 10-31-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Typographical mistake
Old 10-23-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by no real eq on the L1. There is treble, bass, and mid for channels 1 and 2, plus eq presets that are extremely useful. If you add the T1, you get reverb, parametric eq, tonematch eq, and Z eq which optimizes the eq of specific instruments and mics. Plus a noise gate for kick drum, de-esser, flanger, chorus, delay, tuner, pre-set scene settings, and auxiliary output plus dual purpose inputs that accept 1/4 inch or xlr.

Many argue one can get more bang for their buck. I personally disagree. I don't think anything is in the same ball park in terms of doing so many things so well.

There are many for whom the Fishman is adequate. Sound quality is subjective and if the Fishman satisfies the needs, it's the best choice for that person. But it does not function like a true line array. It does what it was designed for extremely well and if you have a narrow set of needs, it's a great value. But if you need more versatility and flexibility, you're going to pay for it and, in my opinion, rightly so.
I think he is talking about the L1 Compact.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 PM

I try my Bose Compact tomorrow AM in it's first gig with me.. mostly keys (piano) and some acoustic guitar.. Outside for a charity breakfast with about 80 people. The real test will be the "ole left hand walking bass" routine. We shall see/hear.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:16 AM

My first post, and glad to be here. It was the discussions on portable PAs that hooked me.

I've had a Bose L1 Classic (with twin B1s) for about three years now, and can't say enough good things about it. I've used it as a small(ish) system for my solo guitar gigs, as well as with acoustic duos and trios (using a small outboard mixer). It's handled everything from small rooms to outdoor trio concerts, with outstanding fidelity and portability.

I've also used the L1 Classic as a combo PA and guitar amp in a country-rock band setting, using a Strat through a Digitech RP-250 multi-effects unit. Again, it does a great job.

My thing is, as portable as the L1 is, with 750 watts and 4-5 trips to the car, it's simply overkill for smaller solo gigs such as coffeehouses, small clubs, etc. It's also more than I need to be packing when I do a larger concert venue where I'm sitting in with several other players and would need to DI into a large house system, anyway.

I was attracted to the SoloAmp for this reason. The particular features of the SA would seem to make it the perfect small system/personal acoustic amp for me, especially with the full gamut of EQ, DI, reverb, etc it has.

Portability is a major factor for this application. One trip from the car is a must. I love the idea of wheeling in a SA system in one hand with my guitar in the other.

That said, I opted to get a second Bose, the new Compact, mostly for two reasons: 1. it's a Bose, and 2. I could buy it more easily using Bose's 12-month-same-as-cash program.

While I'm sold on the efficacy of the larger L1 series, the Compact seems a little lacking in the midrange to my ear. I play a nylon-string mostly (Godin Grand Concert SA when playing with others, a Takamine EC-132SC when playing solo), and use the small but killer Korg Pandora for acoustic guitars as my processor. The Compact gives me a very nice tone, with great lows and highs and typical Bose dispersion, but the tone seems a bit thin in the middle sometimes, whereas the SA I demo'd in GC really had a superb tone throughout the spectrum, very solid and punchy when needed.

For portability, the Compact is very cool. Extremely light with a small footprint onstage, and the vertical extensions, being nothing but molded plastic elevators for the small speaker array, can easily be tossed over your shoulder. It's like a small PA in a suitcase. Plus, the classy visual elegance of the thing makes it perfect for the swanky restaurant gigs I frequently do.

Now... to compare a SA against a large Bose L1 (whether Classic, Model I or II) is not a worthwhile comparison in my view. Any of the full-size Bose sticks would knock a SA off the boat in terms of shear wattage, full-range capability and (with a T1) processing options. A SA will not have the low-end of a big Bose with B1 subs, but who needs those frequencies, anyway? Well, some might, but I certainly don't at the smaller gigs I'm talking about here.

A much more meaningful comparison is to better match capabilities. In this regard, it would appear that the SA should be compared to a Bose Compact, or (in deference to Larry) the BagAmp.

I've considered taking the Compact in and trading for a SoloAmp, but I hate to take the hit on it. The Compact does a fine job, I just think I'd like the SoloAmp better. The solution for me would seem to be just hang in and get a SA when the coffers are full. Nothing like having options in this biz. lol
2010 Godin Grand Concert Ambiance
2003 Godin Grand Concert SA MIDI-Classic
1995 Custom Turner Renaissance MIDI-Classic
2004 Yamaha CGX-171SCF Electric-Flamenco
1972 Alvarez-Yairi 5032 Classic
1989 Custom Vlado Proskurniak Hybrid Flamenco-Classic
2002 Ibanez PM-100 (Pat Metheny model)
2004 Custom Filomino Strat-clone
Old 10-31-2009, 06:40 PM

I'm guessing that too much time has passed to return the Compact for a refund??? I personally hate taking a hit on anything. I'm so cheap it hurts to part with a dollar and hurts even worse when I take a hit. On the other hand, I like to be happy. Going out as much as you seem to be doing and not being completely happy would drive me nuts. You're obviously making money playing out and seem to be able to afford several different systems. I say go for it and be happy!
Old 10-31-2009, 06:46 PM

Hi Foster... I guess you tried the T1 with the Compact?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster View Post
... I've considered taking the Compact in and trading for a SoloAmp, but I hate to take the hit on it. The Compact does a fine job, I just think I'd like the SoloAmp better. The solution for me would seem to be just hang in and get a SA when the coffers are full. Nothing like having options in this biz. lol
I have the same problem, but in my case between my Soloamp, which I grabbed in a very uncharacteristic spur-of-the-moment decision, and the never-heard Bagamp. After following the Bagamp saga for a year or more, and now reading Larry's review, I took my SA to a larger room and did sense that the volume did indeed have to be cranked up to a level high for the performer to be a worthwhile level farther out. But never having heard the Bagamp I really can't judge. Now I'm torn about buying a BA to be able to make a decision and then trying to sell one or the other. The BA could be harder to sell if I wanted to stick with the SA. On the other hand, the good thing is that I got the SA at $100 off and 12 to pay with no interest. Now I'm just hoping to win the Bagamp drawing - whenever they actually have it!
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification