The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Kramster & All,

I currently have over $1700 credit at my favorite music store and with a trade-in or whatever, I could easily order a full-blown Bose L1 Model II with Tone Match. Years ago, my PA consisted of seven Bose 802 PA speakers: three stacked pairs and one monitor and I thought the tone was really good but being a gearhead, I experimented with many other brands since then. I currently have a Fishman SoloAmp and also, if I want to use them, two Mackie SRM450 PA mains and two Mackie SRM150 Monitors. So, my question to you and All is, based on your Bose L1 Model 1 or Model II experiences, with or without the Tone Match module, do you think I'd enjoy the tone of a new full-blown Bose L1 Model II with Tone Match System more than anything else out there when used as a solo act? Thanks for any feedback y'all can give me!

Regards,

SpruceTop

The L1 Model II requires the T1 ToneMatch engine for use as anything beyond DJ equipment. I believe the Bose gear to be quite good for solo/duo work, and the overall package is compact and attractive...and sounds quite good.

I may or may not hang onto my L1 Model II now that I have the BagAmp.

The main thing that the Bose would do for me (as I am considering keeping vs. selling) is that it is more powerful than the BagAmp (or SoloAmp, in your case), and therefore would be required if I played a big hall, and no PA was provided.

I think that the L1 Mod II is a terrific piece of equipment, no doubt.

If you do get the Bose, I recommend going to Wal-Mart and buying a black-plastic gun-case that they sell (for 2 guns)...I think they're about $20-30, and you can fit both of the Bose speaker-sections into the one case (and while they're still in their cordura bags).

For me, that case (with speaker sections) is a bit heavy...but for anyone that can handle it, it's a great/protective case, and cheap.

I would *not* recommend an amp like the Brozman product, since you have to (once again) be sitting/standing directly next to it to have access to any of the substantial controls. I'll bet it sounds great, but for me (and my thinking) it's not the way to go.

The T1 makes the L1 Mod II a really great piece of equipment, and one that is easily controlled from 6-10 feet away (where you'll need to be standing or sitting for it to function as a stage-monitor).

P.S. The original L1 is a nice piece of equipment...I used one for 5 years...but I would recommend going to the Model II if you need something with more power than your SA, and assuming it's affordable. They both require the B1 bass module/speaker for any kind of good sound, as perhaps you already know.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 10-18-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I am so non competitive... would be cool though. Get me one. Thanks, I'll go wait by my door.
I overnighted it by UPS! Oh No! I should have used FedEx! Are you good at picking up the pieces when somebody breaks your Broz?

RainDance
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 PM

I'll just put the 3 together and make a BoseBroz... or maybe even a BrozBose or a ... Yikes it is 100 here again today! (Did I get out of it?) But it really is that hot... left me pool solar heater going and the darn pool is 92...save me !
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
So, my question to you and All is, based on your Bose L1 Model 1 or Model II experiences, with or without the Tone Match module, do you think I'd enjoy the tone of a new full-blown Bose L1 Model II with Tone Match System more than anything else out there when used as a solo act? Thanks for any feedback y'all can give me!

Regards,

SpruceTop
SpruceTop,
The Bose L1, Model 2 with ToneMatch and 2 B1s (subs) is what I've settled on as being the best set up for me as a solo act. I've used one (first the Classic and now the Model 2) in hundreds of different kinds of venues for almost 5 years and only once did it let me down (and that wasn't the fault of the Bose)

Here are just a few factors I like to consider: 1) cost 2) portability 3) set up and tear down time 4) sound quality 5) coverage/disbursement 6) ease of use.

This is just my opinion but I don't think there is a system out there that is the absolute best at all of these categories. Meaning there is always going to be some sacrifice. As an example, alohachris and sdelsolray (and others with comparable rigs) have made more of a sacrifice in cost and for that sacrifice, they gained in sound quality.

With each sound system considered, there are going to be some gains and some sacrifices. Those gains and sacrifices are of course totally subjective and everyone's experience is going to be different. For me, the Bose L1 does the best at satisfying those categories with the least amount of sacrifice.

I switched to the Bose in January of 2005. Here are the things I noticed after making the switch:

1)I was able to trade in a mini-SUV for a sedan that gets 30+ miles per gallon on the highway. (It's a Toyota Camry and everything but my guitar fits in the trunk including a Porchboard, my merchandise and my merch table!)

2) I started selling more CDs and getting more requests for business cards and then follow up gigs.

3) I can be set up and sound checked in 10 minutes and that includes setting up my merch table.

4) My playing and singing improved drastically. It makes a huge difference to hear EXACTLY the same thing as the audience night after night, show after show. With many systems you are stuck with monitors or trying to stand in some proximity to the mains. Thus you don't really know how you sound. As I result I started paying a lot more attention to my voice, my playing and my gear and made many improvements (well, at least with my gear. )

5) I can fill a HUGE area with sound. With what I do, this makes a big difference. I've told this story before, maybe even in this thread, I can't remember. I'll be on the beach in Key West playing in a couple of weeks. I was down there in February and there were people coming up to me from all areas of the beach. People I couldn't even see, from behind me and way off to the sides putting money in my tip jar, buying CDs and telling me how much they were enjoying the music. All while people at the tables 15' in front of me were able to easily visit. I have never heard or used "conventional" mains on sticks that are able to do this. That doesn't mean they aren't out there, I just haven't experienced that from a "traditional" system.

6) I stopped getting the mean looks from people in little venues when I'd hoist a huge 15" cabinet up onto a stand 2 feet from their table! I don't think it matters how nice a set of speakers look. Big mains look loud!

7) I added a Porchboard to my set up which gives my live sound a whole other dimension.

8) I am much more apt to book more gigs, even 2 in one day because the set up and tear down is easy and most of the time I can hear myself perfectly with no vocal strain.

9) I can be in and out of a venue in one trip! With everything!

So yes, I like my Bose. There are some things about it that don't thrill me. My Schertler set up (Unico and Side) sounds better and is probably even a faster set up but going that route entails too many sacrifices for me. So again, in my life, the Bose is still my go-to set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
The L1 Model II requires the T1 ToneMatch engine for use as anything beyond DJ equipment.
Larry is pretty much right about the ToneMatch. You don't HAVE to use the ToneMatch. You could get by with some other kind of mixer but the ToneMatch really enhances the Bose and I highly recommend it. When they first started shipping the Model 2 the T1s weren't ready yet so I had to go a month or so using a little Alesis mixer. It works but the T1 is so much better.

Hope that helps a bit,
Matt
Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
<<snip>>

Larry is pretty much right about the ToneMatch. You don't HAVE to use the ToneMatch. You could get by with some other kind of mixer but the ToneMatch really enhances the Bose and I highly recommend it. When they first started shipping the Model 2 the T1s weren't ready yet so I had to go a month or so using a little Alesis mixer. It works but the T1 is so much better.

Hope that helps a bit,
Matt
Good review, Matt...and *my* mistake...any small mixer will certainly work...but the T1 does the job very well, with a lot of EQ and reverb/effects options, as well as a built in strobe-style tuner.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Few Explain the "Why's" Better Than Our Friend Matt!

Aloha Matt & Friends,

Man now that's Exhibit A, boys and girls, of what I'm talkin' about here. Matt's very well-organized and written tome about his choice of the Bose L1 is exactly why these threads are so valuable. They can provide a very strong rationale for a player to choose one product over another for various applications - as long as the "Why's" are covered as well as Matt has done here. Wonderful, Matty!

Therefore, a player on the fence about say, that very same Bose I system, could take Matt's experiences into consideration, and then consider my very different take on the Bose I for my very different experiences of the same system in tight crowded venues. Then that player could go and listen to the Bose letting the ears make a final decision, and come away with a pretty good idea about how that amplification system would work for him or her. Of course, everyone else here has added to the player's education as well. Everyone wins! And there's been 3000 hits on this thread so far, so someone's getting something out of it, not just us, right?

Good job!

alohachris

PS: Matty, that reasonably priced, Summit TD-100 Tube pre/DI you use is not talked about anywhere at these sites. But, I had a chance to hear one recently and really couldn't believe how good it sounded. It's high quality, inexpensive "sleepers" like that unit or an under $200 gem like an ADK A6 mic that make this whole musical equipment acquisition insanity process really fun, IMO. That and very cool opinions like the one you just wrote. All the best, Matt -alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 10-18-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Matt & Friends,

Man now that's Exhibit A, boys and girls, of what I'm talkin' about here. Matt's very well-organized and written tome about his choice of the Bose L1 is exactly why these threads are so valuable. They can provide a very strong rationale for a player to choose one product over another for various applications - as long as the "Why's" are covered as well as Matt has done here. Wonderful, Matty!

Therefore, a player on the fence about say, that very same Bose I system, could take Matt's experiences into consideration, and then consider my very different take on the Bose I for my very different experiences of the same system in tight crowded venues. Then that player could go and listen to the Bose letting the ears make a final decision, and come away with a pretty good idea about how that amplification system would work for him or her. Of course, everyone else here has added to the player's education as well. Everyone wins! And there's been 3000 hits on this thread so far, so someone's getting something out of it, not just us, right?

Good job!

alohachris

PS: Matty, that inexpensive, Tube Summit TL-100 pre you use is not talked about anywhere at these sites. But, I had a chance to hear one recently and really couldn't believe how good it sounded. It's high quality, inexpensive "sleepers" like that unit or an under $200 gem like an ADK A6 mic that make this whole musical equipment acquisition insanity process really fun, IMO. That and very cool opinions like the one you just wrote. All the best, Matt -alohachris-
Chris, I went looking for the "TL-100" but could not find it. Did you mean the TD-100?

Joel Stehr 8 String - Figured Myrtle / German Spruce
Kammerer 8-NNG - Maple
Chrisman guitar 1934
2-Russian made classical - Rosewood/Spruce
Mervyn Davis Smoothtalker - Cedar/Kiaat
Kinnaird Student Build SJ Sitka Spruce / Black Wanunt
Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Good review, Matt...and *my* mistake...any small mixer will certainly work...but the T1 does the job very well, with a lot of EQ and reverb/effects options, as well as a built in strobe-style tuner.
Thanks Larry! And I agree, the T1 is a great unit and should be considered by anyone pondering a Bose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Matt & Friends,

Thank you my friend! And you are right, everyone's experience is going to be different. There really is no "best" set up except what is best for each individual. Like you said, read all you can, get as much hands on experience as possible and pick what fits best into your particular situation. And what might be "the best" for you now might not be the best down the road. That's what makes this so much fun (and sometimes maddening) there is always something else out there!

I was just emailing a fellow forum-ite about the Summit TD-100. It is a nice piece of gear! Here is the link on the Summit:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD100

I've been using it with a Sunrise.

Take good care,
Matt
Old 10-18-2009, 05:29 PM

I have a TD 100 and there is a TLA-50 Mini Tube leveling amp..
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Default TD 100 Thanks for the Clarification

Aloha.

Thanks for clarifying that TD 100 Instrument Tube Pre/DI for me. My friend brought one out at his gig and I liked it's smooth clear sound with his rig. Nice choice!

alohachris
Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM

The TD 100 smoothes out a K&K Mini very well.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 AM

Default To Larry Pattis

Hey Larry,

I'm sorry for being so conflicting with you in this thread between the BagAmp and the SoloAmp.

My initial intent was merely to express a few concerns about the BagAmp, and you are right. Until I can actually try one out, I just wont know.

I do own a SoloAmp, but as many people here already know, I buy and trade guitars and gear very compulsively, and I have a tendency to think that the gear I currently own is the best.

Also, I have no filtering system, so I just blurt out stuff without really thinking about it, but after a while of thinking about it, I realize that I am the one who is getting carried away.

But, one of my good qualities is that, I have humility (learned it in the first two weeks of boot camp back in 1983), and will always admit when I am wrong.

You are a GREAT musician, and have a lot more experience with gear than I do. I still have a few concerns, but I also cannot wait till the boat gets here so I can try one out for myself.

I know a lot of people here think I'm a nut case (and their probably right), but I do have a passion for music, and I hope that you can accept this nut's apology...

You know if I was where you are right now, I'd be trying to make you give me a hug (in a manly kinda way).
Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 AM

I can't tell you guys how glad I am to see this thread become "nice" again. Had it continued in the same tone it had for a while, this morning I was reluctantly going to close it. I hated to do that, because it's a topic that a great many of us are interested in, and a number of posts have been very informative.

Thanks for self-moderating, friends!

cotten
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Humanist

Bob,

Apology accepted.

Water under the bridge.

Peace, out.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:58 AM

I'm sorry, too, for hurting Bob's feelings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification