The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on starting your new journey! I completely switched careers at age 44 and started my own business(es!). It was exhilarating and frightening at the same time. But I was the boss, and the only person that could fire me or override my business decisions was the man in the mirror.

Over the past twenty years I have owned retail stores, managed events, and re-habbed houses, often at the same time. But I never had anyone tell me that I had to get permission from a manager to go evaluate a property when the licensing and permits paperwork for an event were due tomorrow and the futures order for next spring had to be emailed to a sales rep no later than midnight tonight.

It was my call, and I loved it.

I guess I am just wired like that. Other people are wired to work for the security of a paycheck regardless of the circumstances of their job, other people are wired for the freedom and adventure of entrepreneurship without the security of a guaranteed income.

To each his own. Best of luck going forward.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

CK
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 12-12-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Congratulations on starting your new journey! I completely switched careers at age 44 and started my own business(es!). It was exhilarating and frightening at the same time. But I was the boss, and the only person that could fire me or override my business decisions was the man in the mirror.

Over the past twenty years I have owned retail stores, managed events, and re-habbed houses, often at the same time. But I never had anyone tell me that I had to get permission from a manager to go evaluate a property when the licensing and permits paperwork for an event were due tomorrow and the futures order for next spring had to be emailed to a sales rep no later than midnight tonight.

It was my call, and I loved it.

I guess I am just wired like that. Other people are wired to work for the security of a paycheck regardless of the circumstances of their job, other people are wired for the freedom and adventure of entrepreneurship without the security of a guaranteed income.

To each his own. Best of luck going forward.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

CK
Breaking out of the W2 world is my ultimate goal. I’m an entrepreneur at heart too. You nailed it on how some people are wired to deal with crappy but stable jobs, and there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s their life, not mine. Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
You are never wrong getting off the government payroll. At least you can live with yourself. Do it.

I’m not sure what are you trying to get at here, but for those fourteen and a half years, I worked hard, and served my city with pride. The work conditions and the direction my workplace has been going for the past few years is what made it an unpleasant place to be. There’s nothing wrong with being a government employee.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Money is important, but it is a horrible GPS.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic