The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-13-2018, 09:28 AM

Default Emerald Green Wing Project

Oops, I did it again
Oh baby, baby
Oops, you think I'm in love
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

A few weeks ago another veneer caught my attention and I just couldn't get it out of my head.

Emerald Wings 18A.jpg

In the course of emailing back-n-forth with Kevin I just had to ask a few questions about that 18A veneer. What kind of wood is it, Cocobolo (my favorite duck and goose call material). Is it still available, yes. etc.

I shared a vision of a Green Wing guitar. Kevin kept talking to Alistair about it. So Alistair got intrigued about it and called me one day to home in on what I was thinking. I explained that one of my favorite ducks is a small Green Wing Teal, many guy's are nuts about green guitars and an Emerald Green Wing guitar would have a place in the history of green guitars. Since then Kevin has said a couple times that Alistair is really excited about this project.

The first green test didn't go so good. The green way over powered the brown grain and turned it totally black.

GW First Test.jpg

The second green test went much better. We tried a bit of an edge burst, but even that subdued the grain too much.

GW Second Test.jpg

In order to get the brown grain to really pop, we're gonna go with a slight background reverse shading halo affect around the wings, similar to the edge opposite the knot in the second test (but more dramatic).

I've been torn between an X7 and an X10. But, I'm narrowing in on a L2 X10 with custom scale lengtht(s) and a hard case (which the X7's don't have yet).

Looks like I'm limited here to three pics per post.

Last edited by jwellsy; 10-13-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:32 AM

An X10 Humbucker should tie the two wings together nicely.

GW Raw X10 Template - Small.jpg

Last edited by jwellsy; 10-13-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post

I've been torn between an X7 and an X10. But, I'm narrowing in on a L2 X10 with custom scale lengtht(s) and a hard case (which the X7's don't have yet).
According to a Facebook thread earlier this week, they can now pad the X-10 case to properly fit the new X-7.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-13-2018, 01:49 PM

Wow that is quite interesting and gonna be way cool.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

The green wing looks like it will be spectacular.

And yes, apparently they can pad an X10 case for an X7. As soon as I saw that Facebook posting, I shot off an email to Kevin asking him to add one to my order.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 PM

This is one of those veneers that I initially really disliked, because I don't like the stark white sapwood. I never thought about coloring/dying the top though.

I suspect that when it is done it will be spectacular. (especially in a darker color like red/green/blue)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-18-2018, 08:17 PM

Default X10 Fan Fret

I'm leaning towards getting an X10. But, my X30 has really got me spoiled with multi-scale length fan frets. I love the balance and projection of the fan frets. So I'm trying to figure out what scale lengths would work well on an X10. I would love to optimize an X10 for couch playing.

An X7 has a 24" scale, 12 frets, 18" long body, 14.25" wide body and 34.25" overall length. The X7 also has a 1.75" nut and 16" radius fretboard.

An X10 has a 25.5" scale, 14 frets, 18" long body, 14.75" wide body and 37.75" overall length. The X10 also has a 1 11/16"nut and 12"-16" compound radius fretboard.

I keep visualizing a level 2, X10 with 25"-24" scale length fanned frets, 12 frets to the body, compound radius fretboard and 1 11/16" nut.

Thoughts?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Have they tried staining it green then sanding it back down a little. Like PRS does?
Old 10-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Guest 928

Jw;

Good visualization. Measure twice, cut once. I like the way you are working your way to your custom guitar. Carry on.................And keep us posted.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Wow, this will be cool when done!
Old 05-02-2019, 12:27 PM

The Green Wing is finally on the build table. Kevin emailed me today about a slight change Alistair recommended that the bridge color should probably be black. I said no problem.

I think some butterflies just hatched, either that or I need a parasite cleanse
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Old 05-02-2019, 02:02 PM

Did you end up going with the fan fret? I'm curious how that will look with the humbucker...
Old 05-02-2019, 06:03 PM
Guest 928

I like 18t's suggestion, stain and lightly sand. I've done this kind of coloration. The only problem is confining the color line, which might not be a problem for a fade-out edge.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:11 PM

At this point it's in their hands. They understood the vision and I'm confident they will do their best to make something extraordinary.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Old 06-27-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I like 18t's suggestion, stain and lightly sand. I've done this kind of coloration. The only problem is confining the color line, which might not be a problem for a fade-out edge.
At the transition between the brown wings and green field I asked for the brown wings to be surrounded by a natural blond halo to get the wings to pop.

My X10 has been stained and has one clear coat. After a bit of scroll work it'll get a second clear coat. It should be done in 2 or 3 weeks, I'm hoping by the end of July.

Alistair and Kevin both said everyone there has fell in love with the Green Wing. Alistair said he was initially skeptical how it would turn out. But now that it's a reality it's a home run and truly a special piece.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber