The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-10-2018, 07:19 AM

Default Camping Dilemma

So last month I recieved my first Emerald X20 (In Stock Cocobolo X20). I really enjoy playing this guitar and it has quickly become my number one. I have a camping trip in a little over a week with 6 old college buddies. I had planned on bringing the X20 but it is just to nice to take out in the woods for a week. I am funtunate to have many other guitars to choose from but I am a little disaponited. Anyone else agree that the X2O is just too nice to take camping.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:02 AM

Of course it's 'too nice'. By the light of a fire, the look of admiration in other's eyes as it's slipped from its bag would be worth it. Just a thought, don't go stirring the ashes.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

I completely disagree. I think the X20 is the perfect guitar to take camping. Unless space is a consideration or your 6 college buddies are immature jerks or drunks (or both) that might damage the guitar rough housing then I'd totally take my X20 (also a cocobolo woody) into the woods without hesitation.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I gotta admit, I would have a hard time taking that X20 camping. Too many things could happen to it. It's just me....those other fellas seem to be fine taking YOUR guitar camping.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Guest 928

I would not take a 20 camping unless I had a motorhome or was staying at motel 6 (my wife's notion of camping).
Old 10-10-2018, 09:35 AM

Carbon fiber is perfect for camping, but I cannot speak to the rowdiness of your buddies, or you while under their influence. There was a thread here a couple of years ago where a member had taken his Blackbird Lucky 13 camping. Late at night it was backed over by a car (adult beverages may have been involved) and totaled.

I've taken my Rainsong motorcycle camping in Alaska many times, and played around many a campfire jam at guitar camps and festivals. Mine still looks showroom new, except for some light scratches on the pick guard. It is great to have something that simply doesn't care about temperature or humidity, and stays in tune well with changing temperatures. But I get your concern about something so unique, new, and largely irreplaceable.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

The only reason I wouldn't take my X20 camping would be because I wouldn't want it (or me) to come back smelling like a smoky campfire. We travel a lot by motorhome, but don't do what many people feel is camping: smoky campfire, sleeping on the ground, go without a shower, eat Dinty Moore Stew.

Oh, we used to do that stuff, back in our motorcycle camping days. But, I would have no issue taking my X20 outside to play... just want to stay upwind of any smelly fires.

I agree with Methos (Scott) - as long as your friends aren't jerks and all that.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM

For me, the original point of CF was to not be fearful of temperature and humidity. I've since grown other appreciations for it (tone/weight/durability), but if I didn't intend to take mine out camping, I probably would never have gotten my Rainsong.

I'm all for taking it out. But the X20 sure is beautiful, and it's entirely ok in my book to pamper it and keep it pristine and smelling not-like-a-camp-fire. I say that because I can see me being super protective of my X20 Nylon when it comes in...although I'm hoping I get over that and just take it everywhere with me.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:56 AM

For me the composites don’t seem to hold the smoky smell. I once took my high end Taylor in a hard case. The guitar aired out fine but that hard case with the fake fur took forever to rid of the smell - - and lots of effort. When we got home and opened that case it was like the campfire came with us.

No, we don’t have a motor home, a VW van so lots of time outside.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:04 AM

The camping guitar dilemma on AGF is an interesting one. Is usually starts with "should I take my XYZ model guitar camping." 50% say "yes, it was bought to be played." 50% say "no, it's too nice to risk it being stepped on by a bear or mistaken for toilet in the middle of the night by an inebriated comrade." I'm somewhere in the middle. So, it seems to me a carbon a carbon fiber guitar is perfect for camping. Moreover, if you forget your canoe paddle...
Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 AM

When I've gone car-camping I take the nice guitar, play it around the fire, then stuff it back in the trunk.

I bought a $150 guitar to take on the raft during float trips. Still haven't done it but seems like the right approach.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn't personally take any expensive guitar on the kind of camping trip you're talking about. I bought carbon fiber so I wouldn't have to worry about humidity and temperature issues, but bad stuff can still happen to a carbon fiber guitar. If I wanted a guitar for the kind of trip where anything might happen to it, I'd go spend $150 on a Gretsch Jim Dandy or one of the cheap Recording Kings or something. They don't sound anywhere near as good as an X20, but they'd sound just FINE around a campfire. And if someone kicks some hot ashes on it or stumbles and falls on it propped up against a rock, you get another one before you next trip. If my wife and I are going to the shore or the mountains for a long weekend, and staying in a hotel or lodge or cabin or something, then I'd bring an X20 / X7, etc. But tent camping with campfires, etc, I personally wouldn't do it...
Old 10-10-2018, 12:47 PM

I got an X20 because it can handle the elements (actually the element I was most worried about at the time was a 4 year old incredibly destructive kid). I say take whichever one you want. Once you finish the trip you will know if you should have taken the other one. If you are worried about it walking off I would go with a cheap guitar otherwise I would take the X20. I have taken my lamented Ibanez many places and it still plays well, but now I take my X20 if I have the room but I don't leave it in a tent unless I am in the tent with it. I will leave the old Ibanez though. That's about the only difference.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 10-10-2018, 01:42 PM

Just take it camping. Hope this helps.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-10-2018, 02:06 PM

I took an expensive fan fret German made CF guitar camping ..it lived to camp again... not that it will ever go again.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber