The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 PM

Default NAD Yamaha THR5A

I'm sure there are dozens of reviews of this amp. Did you know that you can control the amp with an Android app if you get the right adapter? I just ordered the adapter for $1 on EBay. From a computer (and hopefully from the phone), you can tweak lots of extra parameters, and there are added effects such as flange, phaser, tremolo, and a noise gate, four kinds of reverbs, etc.

If you're interested, you can check your Apple device to see if there is a THR editing app.

It gets very loud for its size. I played it so far with my Yamaha LL-TA. The condenser mic setting sounds by far the best with the piezzo pickups of my guitar. It sounds very full bodied, but I can't get it to sound as real as the sound I hear from the guitar itself.

I have no nylon guitar or electric guitar to try those two settings.

There's also a product called Patchbox68 (but it's $132!) which is a pedal that lets you scroll through user presets from the computer interface.

I think the main deficiency of this product is the no line out. You can use the headphone output as a line out, but then you lose the speakers.

It's a great little amp. I think it came out 5 years ago, and I predict that Yamaha has something up their sleeve for winter NAMM that will be even nicer.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:26 AM

Congrats! I had a THR5 (not the A, first gen.) and regret selling it.

I would take mine to gigs and use it as my amp. I patched out from the headphone out into the venue's system. Everyone always complimented me on my sound and would ask, "where is your amp?" When I'd show them the little lunchbox heater, they could not believe it.

If anything, I'd always use it in the same way one would use a preamp and/or pedal board.

Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2018, 04:29 AM

I have had one for about a year or more now and I really enjoy it. Because it also runs on batteries I can play outside with it very easily. I do play some nylon stringed instruments through it and I like the "tube" mic type setting the best.

With an acoustic steel string guitar it is plenty loud enough for in home playing. With ukuleles the volume knob needs to be 3/4 to full. They are a quieter instrument than a guitar, I do have LR Baggs 5.0 active pick ups in my ukes so output is good. Just an FYI.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:49 AM

The Boss Katana Mini ($99 minus 15% at MF much of the time) also sounds good with an acoustic guitar and runs off a standard stomp box wall wart. My duo plays an art gallery every 6 weeks or so where we don't use a PA. I like 10's on my RainSong Parlor to cover electric guitar riffs and I need some help to keep up with his D-28. It fills the bill perfectly. I am using the now discontinued Volto 2 to power it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I1...O9fvTCc3pK0Qgj
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-05-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The Boss Katana Mini ($99 minus 15% at MF much of the time) also sounds good with an acoustic guitar and runs off a standard stomp box wall wart. My duo plays an art gallery every 6 weeks or so where we don't use a PA. I like 10's on my RainSong Parlor to cover electric guitar riffs and I need some help to keep up with his D-28. It fills the bill perfectly. I am using the now discontinued Volto 2 to power it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I1...O9fvTCc3pK0Qgj
The THR5A is a lot more money for sure, but it has a lot of goodies, especially if you're plugged into a computer or using an app - where you can call up favorite presets:
  • 3 virtual mics with adjustable blend plus nylon guitar and electric guitar settings
    Three band eq
    Compressor with 5 adjustable knobs
    Chorus with 3 knobs
    Flanger with 5 knobs
    Phaser with 4 knobs
    Tremolo with 2 knobs
    Delay with 5 knobs
    Hall, Room, Plate and Spring reverb with 7 knobs
    Noise gate with 2 knobs
    The ability to directly record into a computer via USB
It's good to know that you can patch out of the headphones into a PA and still get quality sound. Yamaha Guy, what kind of cable did you use? a TRS 1/4" or stereo to mono, or stereo to dual mono?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
The THR5A is a lot more money for sure, but it has a lot of goodies, especially if you're plugged into a computer or using an app - where you can call up favorite presets:
  • 3 virtual mics with adjustable blend plus nylon guitar and electric guitar settings
    Three band eq
    Compressor with 5 adjustable knobs
    Chorus with 3 knobs
    Flanger with 5 knobs
    Phaser with 4 knobs
    Tremolo with 2 knobs
    Delay with 5 knobs
    Hall, Room, Plate and Spring reverb with 7 knobs
    Noise gate with 2 knobs
    The ability to directly record into a computer via USB
It's good to know that you can patch out of the headphones into a PA and still get quality sound. Yamaha Guy, what kind of cable did you use? a TRS 1/4" or stereo to mono, or stereo to dual mono?
I use the 1/4" stereo to dual 1/4" mono, or 1/4" stereo to dual rca (phono).
Old 10-07-2018, 08:40 AM

The tube emulation on the THR5A is fantastic, it gives a fantastic overdriven sound that I enjoy a lot for my acoustic guitar(s). But run-time on batteries really sucks, for example compared to the Roland Cube Street EX which also use 8 AA batteries.

/Per
Old 10-14-2018, 09:50 AM

I finally received the OTG adapter ($0.99) that I ordered, and opened up the Android THR Editor app ($8 to unlock) with the phone connected to the THR5A. The expanded functions worked flawlessly, and I am able to play around with flanger, tremolo, three band eq, etc. and create presets.

There's a way to call up these presets via bluetooth with external buttons, maybe even a bluetooth footswitch if one exists.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:14 PM

Hi have you got the details of the adapter? I have one of these amps and really love it.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 10:41 AM

I had no idea about the THR Librarian, but I installed it yesterday (and bought the pro version to be able to edit) and it really breathes new life into the fantastic THR5A.

The app is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ppsforamps.thr

And you also need a OTG adapter, either micro-USB or USB-C depending on how new your phone is.

Once again, the THR5A is a fantastic small amp for your acoustic guitar, and I especially enjoy the tube emulation giving it a lite overdrive. But how can I get this sound in but more power? I have read some praise over the Boss Katana with an acoustic guitar here, anyone owning both a Katana and a THR5A that can comment on that? Or are there other alternatives, either amps or external effect units?

Thanks!
/Per

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification