The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-03-2018, 07:41 PM
GHS GHS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clifton, New Jersey, USA
Posts: 3,852
Default Epiphone Les Paul question

I recently came into possession of two Epiphone Les Paul standards. #1 was built in Nov. of 2005 in the QingDao plant, tobacco top, weighs in at 8lbs. even, has a 1 11/16 neck that feels "thin". #2 built in April of 2006 in the Unsung plant, red cherry burst, weighs 10lbs even, has a 1 3/4" neck that feels "thicker" and much nicer looking wood ( neither are "plus tops). Anyone take a guess at why they should be so different being the same model one year apart??
__________________
Free speech...its' not for everybody
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 PM
The Growler The Growler is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,723
Default

Even in the same year there are different models with various neck shapes, pickups, etc. Take a look at their website and you will see various models with different configurations.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Steve DeRosa Steve DeRosa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 8,214
Default

These archived threads may help you decipher some of the whys, wherefores, and reasons behind changes in Epiphone production location/specs over the last 15 years or so (you'll need to scroll through the responses but it's there):

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=474356&page=2
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=339741
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=4709551
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=435765
__________________
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Jaden Jaden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 383
Default

I get the impression Epiphone of late has been all over the map spec wise without careful model standardization due to an atmosphere of high worker morale driven production where management is more involved with day to day factory operation rather than communicating across plants with different tooling.

One plant may be farmed out to different companies while another may be Epiphone only.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-03-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2018, 05:00 AM
GHS GHS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clifton, New Jersey, USA
Posts: 3,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Even in the same year there are different models with various neck shapes, pickups, etc. Take a look at their website and you will see various models with different configurations.
I see several different models but these both state "Les Paul Standard" on the truss rod covers, came from the same guy, ( no longer living), excellent shape. No split coil design like on other models. I'm new to this and only have acoustics to compare to such as Martin 000-15 will have "this" body shape and "this" neck dimension no matte what year ( without getting into slot head etc, where it is plain to see. Will search more, thanks.
__________________
Free speech...its' not for everybody
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2018, 05:16 AM
GHS GHS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clifton, New Jersey, USA
Posts: 3,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
These archived threads may help you decipher some of the whys, wherefores, and reasons behind changes in Epiphone production location/specs over the last 15 years or so (you'll need to scroll through the responses but it's there):

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=474356&page=2
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=339741
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=4709551
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=435765
Pretty interesting stuff. I'm aware of the world of fakes. In the NYC area there are busts all the time on fake ladies hand bags, clothes, mens watches, all really good copies. I had a issue with the selector switch on the brown one, (common problem), so when I changed the strings to clean it up I pulled the pick ups to check for proper resistance. The neck had Epiphone 57CH (G), neck BHK stamped and tagged and was at 8500ohm. So pick ups and all seemed right. Dont know if they would go thru all that trouble to fake it that far. But you never know. Good post, thanks.
__________________
Free speech...its' not for everybody
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2018, 08:34 AM
GHS GHS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clifton, New Jersey, USA
Posts: 3,852
Default

Had some education today from an old player. Seems some came thru with what they call a "slim" 60's neck and others have the "fat", ( and wider), 50's neck profile. That appears to be exactly what I have, one of each. Thanks for all input on this and hope my discovery helps other along the way. Just getting into electric along with my acoustic collection.
__________________
Free speech...its' not for everybody
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Dru Edwards Dru Edwards is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 32,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Had some education today from an old player. Seems some came thru with what they call a "slim" 60's neck and others have the "fat", ( and wider), 50's neck profile. That appears to be exactly what I have, one of each. Thanks for all input on this and hope my discovery helps other along the way. Just getting into electric along with my acoustic collection.
That makes sense. Gibson does the same thing with their Fat 50's and slim 60's necks.

Sounds like you picked up a couple of nice Epiphones.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2018, 11:09 PM
The Growler The Growler is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Had some education today from an old player. Seems some came thru with what they call a "slim" 60's neck and others have the "fat", ( and wider), 50's neck profile. That appears to be exactly what I have, one of each. Thanks for all input on this and hope my discovery helps other along the way. Just getting into electric along with my acoustic collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That makes sense. Gibson does the same thing with their Fat 50's and slim 60's necks.

Sounds like you picked up a couple of nice Epiphones.
Exactly. Maybe I didn't explain it well, but this is what you would see on Epiphone or Gibson's websites. People argue over which neck is better on the electric guitar forums. You get to try both and argue with yourself over which you like better.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=