The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-30-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBySix View Post
I saw the JBL and considered it, especially since it was a bit more bang for buck, but the sales rep talked me out of it... I think your comparison high to low is pretty much spot on.
I just played a gig today using the Eon One and it's absolutely perfect for most acoustic solo situations and do not look forward to carrying the multiple loads for the L1 MII again, but am also strongly considering picking up the HK 608i and think it would be an excellent consideration for someone interested in the particular range where the Eon One (and likewise S1, L1c and L1S) may not be enough.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-03-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
How big was this room? About how many people? Also, what kind of mics?
The room is about 24'x60' with 8' ceiling with a 20'x20' side extension. Wasn't full of people (its a bar/restaurant), but was the usual bar noise. Think the mics were both Shures, a SM58 and another model.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-03-2018, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I don't think the L1 Compact really projects well enough in this situation - often tables/bodies in front of the performing area (no stage). With a wide variety of guitars being plugged in (and sometimes miked), the L1 is more prone to feedback than speakers on stands set up a little further away.
This is exactly opposite of my experience. I have been gigging the Bose L1 Compact for a few years now. I find it projects more evenly, more widely than conventional speakers. I also find that when there are tables of bodies in front of me, the Bose L1 Compact does less to offend people up close while still pleasing people further away.

I stand directly in front of the Bose L1 Compact at most of my gigs. or sometimes if it is position to one side of me. I hear it great with no feedback and tables right in front of me do not complain because its not much louder up close versus across the room. That is the remarkable thing about Bose versus conventional speakers.

FYI - I use a Sennheiser e935 mic. My acoustic guitars have a mix of PU's: K&K, Baggs Anthem, and Fishman Aura VT Enhance.

Sorry for the derail. I wonder if the dispersion of the S1 is more like a conventional speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
I just played a gig today using the Eon One and it's absolutely perfect for most acoustic solo situations and do not look forward to carrying the multiple loads for the L1 MII again, but am also strongly considering picking up the HK 608i and think it would be an excellent consideration for someone interested in the particular range where the Eon One (and likewise S1, L1c and L1S) may not be enough.
Nama - I totally agree about the load-in/Load-out factor. I love the ease of carry/set-up/tear-down with my Bose L1C. I'm sure its similar with the Eon One and HK 608i. As often as I perform (Multiple times/weekly) ....ease of carry and set up is a huge consideration for me.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 07-03-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Default Two Bose S1s as a PA system? *follow up*

I just want to mention that from a Bluetooth speaker point of view, the new firmware update and the Bose connect app are VERY cool!

You can now save eight pairings and have two active at any one time. Two S1s can be used as either a stereo pair or two mono for multi room (party) modes.

When you have two devices (phone and tablet for instance) paired, you can’t play them simultaneously, but you can immediately go back and forth between them. For example, let’s say you have a phone and a tablet paired, you can play music on your tablet, stop it, then immediately play something else from your phone. What you can’t do is play them both at exactly the same time.

You can change the active two pairings from any device with the app connected. Let’s say you have your phone and iPad active as your two active pairings, and you want to switch to your phone and android tablet. Just call up the Connect app on your phone, go to “Connections”, toggle your iPad off and your android tablet on.

This is all just for Bluetooth audio. PA system connections still have to be wired.

Last edited by lkingston; 07-16-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:58 PM

I just got a good eBay deal on a second Bose S1 to use as a stereo pair.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:41 AM

I got the second S1 the other day and immediately updated the firmware so that I could use the as a stereo Bluetooth pair. So far all I’ve tried is streaming stereo audio, but boy is the sound fantastic!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:19 AM

Keep us posted. I am considering selling one of Fishman LB amps and picking up a second S1.

I guess my question would be - how does the sound dispersion work when you have 2 speakers with 140 degree projection each? Is there any issue with the dispersion patterns overlapping?

Interested to hear how they work together.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:00 PM

Hi,

I have a L1 compact and for giggs it's great ! One of my need is to be easy to carry and there it's unbeatable !
Any way, the other day we where playing double bass, nylon guitar and 2 mikes all together in the L1 through the Bose tonematch ...and I couldn't ear me well (guitar)...
So I decided I need a monitor for myself and am thinking about a S1 together with the L1C mixed with the Tonematch.
Buying the S1pro I would have also a battery powered amp in case we play in very small places. I could even do without the Tonematch ...

Anyway I find the L1 compact has a very nice sound but it has a kind of distortion in the hi frequencies ... In my opinion it would need a frequencies cut and a small hi frequencies speaker... 3 ways, in step of 2. If they'd also add a reverb it would be a 10/10 system for small giggs.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:33 AM

One thing that has occurred to me is that in a duo situation, two S1 Pro would probably be best used with one for each performer like the L1s were originally designed to do rather than with a mixer feeding both with a stereo mix.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
One thing that has occurred to me is that in a duo situation, two S1 Pro would probably be best used with one for each performer like the L1s were originally designed to do rather than with a mixer feeding both with a stereo mix.
Organic stereo! That makes sense in such an application. It really helps to get an realistic amplified sound.
Of course a mixer also can be useful for more than one players or stereo effects - if needed/wanted. you can do the "organic stereo" with a mixer too, just with more efforts.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:58 AM

I never recommend 'stereo' PA sound/effects in a live situation. Unless its a real 'music hall', what happens is the sound doesn't spread evenly, some people in the audience will hear one side better/more than the other.
Depending on the set up of the room, the same can happen with 2 players plugged into separate S1 speakers - unless the speakers are close to each other, the sound will not spread evenly.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-27-2018, 08:02 AM

The S1 Pro has 140 degrees of horizontal dispersion. Both speakers would be within a few feet of each other in this configuration. I’m sure it would be fine.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I never recommend 'stereo' PA sound/effects in a live situation. Unless its a real 'music hall', what happens is the sound doesn't spread evenly, some people in the audience will hear one side better/more than the other.
Depending on the set up of the room, the same can happen with 2 players plugged into separate S1 speakers - unless the speakers are close to each other, the sound will not spread evenly.
Mike, that can work out nice.
If you spend some time in a concert room and have the opportunity to walk around you will hear exactly what you discribed. The reverb IS different in different places and this is natural for our hearing.

Also using two (or more) speakers more or less close to the musicians you get a real nice seperation without missing any musical information.

Like in the opera. Could you imagine to hear the singers and the orchestra out of one mono speaker - or two left and right with the same signal?

Of course there are good reasons for mono or dual mono in the right situation.
But there are also very good reasons for stereo or - sometimes even better - different speakers for different musicians in another situation.
Whatever is needed.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 AM

Might mention GC on line has two ProLine Speaker stands with a carry bag for 69.00 and free shipping. I to am so impressed with the Bose S1 I am buying a second so returned the one stand I had and ordered these. Very nice and the bag is a bonus for carry.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:24 PM

Anyone using the tone match with two s1's? need a power cable to the first and then link the two as I understand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification